Re: [S-R] ordained ministers and their genealogy

  • William C. Wormuth
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 7, 2012
      http://www.pitt.edu/~votruba/qsonhist/slovaklutheranhistory.html

      ________________________________
      From: htcstech <htcstech@...>
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, December 4, 2012 8:19 PM
      Subject: Re: [S-R] ordained ministers and their genealogy

      Well I can safely state that the Ozman (Ottoman) advance, Rakozi, Thokoly
      and Thurzo, all promoted Evangelical over Catholic. The Ottomans were
      anti-Catholic and strongly promoted Lutheranism. The effect of this was
      that churches once Catholic - turned Lutheran overnight, then back to
      Catholic, also overnight in Hapsburg controlled areas.
      I too am looking for Lutheran records, particularly of the Galanta district
      which reverted back to Catholicism. I do have Balskovics Jozsef's "Az
      Ujvari Ejalet Torok Adoosszeirasai" - Pozsony 1993 Erdem ('The Ujvari
      Eyalet Turkish Tax Collections' ~ Hungarian only) which looks at the
      Ottoman defters for Ersekujvar and (partially) Estergom vyalets, detailing
      names and places throughout the region. The issue he found was that the
      Ottomans transcribed names into Arabic script phonetically and so not
      directly translatable back to Magyar. Consequently he spent a decade or so
      sounding out names from the defters in Arabic and tried to find Magyar and
      Slav cognomens. He assembled around 20,000 names with cognomen locations of
      the period.
      This is also complicated by the fact that when the tax collectors came,
      many hid in forests to avoid the defters, so we are not talking about 100%
      participation.
      Genealogically, the records mentions relationships - eg father to son,
      brother etc, but as the tax collectors had little idea of the naming
      conventions, a lot of confusion arose as they confused work names, places
      and vezetek names (surnames). Many of these names stuck. The nobility and
      possibly some clergy evacuated into safehaven Hapsberg controlled towns.
      Another aspect to consider is that none of this is on a database of any
      sort.
      Very few academic studies have been made using defters as a historic
      resource. Contact Gabor Agoston for further information on this (Georgetown
      University - I'll forward his email if you are interested).

      So prior to the mid 1700's many church records were 'lost' - but I am
      hopeful that they are around somewhere, maybe in Lutheran archives. I am
      furious that records after the Turks were thrown out, between 1700 and 1770
      have also 'disappeared'. Why?

      Peter M.