Re: [S-R] Need help with translation

  • david1law@aol.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 5, 2012
      Dear Bob:

      Are you able to post the page of the records? I have searched through the
      records before, and compiled a lot of information, but unfortunately, my old
      computer crashed. Moral to the story: back up all genealogical records.
      So I would be happy to be a second set of eyes to help decypher the writing.

      My great, great, great grandfather JAN HRONEC was born in ROZNAVA. For
      some reason, your surname POLLAK rings a bell but I cannot place my finger
      at the moment. My HRONEC clan had lived in villages of BRZOTIN and CUCMA
      among others. The surnames below are in my direct lineage

      Please also feel to write me directly at _David1Law@..._
      (mailto:David1Law@...) .

      Best regards,

      David

      Researching the village of ROZNAVA, BRZOTIN, and CUCMA in GEMER County //
      the villages of DOMANOVCE, HRISOVCE, KIS SZALOK, KALAVA, KOLONOCZ, KLUKNAVA,
      MLYNICA, RICHNAVA, SPISSKE VLACHY, STARY SMOKOVEC, SLATVINA, in SPIS
      County // the villages of DOLINA, OVCIE, SIROKE, AND VITAZ in SARIS County the
      following surnames: BALOGA (BALOG, BALOGH), BELAK, BUXAR (BUKSAR) CSUJ
      (CUJ), HAMRAK, HARBALY, HARENCSAR, HRONEC, HVIZDOS, JURASKO, KAFFAN, KISSEL,
      KOVALCIK, KREDATUS, ONDERCIN, RUSZBACZKY, TAKACS, TOMASOV, and variant
      spellings thereof.

      Also KUBIT, MOSKAL, ZAJDEL, WALASZCZYK, KOSIBA in BIALOBRZEGI, SUCHODOL,
      GLOWIENKA, and KROSNO, POLAND.

      In a message dated 12/5/2012 9:26:28 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      rjp4053@... writes:

      In reviewing records for Krasnohorske Podhradie, I came across what I
      believe may be my great-grandfather's second wife. The record is found at
      ROZNAVA,-KRASNOHORSKE PODHRADIE, Baptisms, conversions deaths 1744-1864. The
      record is on frame 354 of 670, on the right side of the page , the 8th
      line down, date is March 2.

      In the Parent's column above the name Vittek Maria, there is writing which
      looks like "aratya nem , a cross, and what appears to be udattik"
      I have tried Google Translate using Latin, Slovak and Hungarian with no
      luck.
      Can anyone decipher what is written? It would greatly be appreciated.

      Thank you

      Bob Pollak

    • William C. Wormuth
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 7, 2012
        AZ Atya = Not the Father   On the next page at the bottom are 2 more illegitimate children listed

        Z Bohom,

        Vilo

        ________________________________
        In reviewing records for Krasnohorske Podhradie, I came across what I
        believe may be my great-grandfather's second wife.  The record is found
        at ROZNAVA,-KRASNOHORSKE PODHRADIE,  Baptisms, conversions deaths
        1744-1864.  The record is on frame 354 of 670,  on the right side of the page , the 8th line down, date is March 2.

        In the Parent's column above the name Vittek Maria, there is writing
        which looks like "aratya  nem , a cross, and what appears to be udattik"
        I have tried Google Translate using Latin, Slovak and Hungarian with no luck.
        Can anyone decipher what is written?  It would greatly be appreciated.

        Thank you

        Bob Pollak

        Link to page.  Sorry I forgot to include it in my original email.

        https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-22649-2569-64?cc=1554443&wc=MM17-7LN:1906989890

      • lickridge
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 14, 2013
          Hello, All! I need your help translating information on a marriage record. The image of the record in question was put into a Word document and uploaded into the FILES section. It's named "1814,Feb21-Falatko,Georgius-marriage record.docx". The page headers are included along with the marriage record.

          I can find ancestors names in the second column - Georgius Falatko and Cath. Schwartz - but I cannot read the remaining text with the names. Also, I am interested in knowing the towns in the last column. I think Catharina's town is Golintz (now Gelnica), but not sure of Georgius' town. Could it be Krompach (now Krompachy)?

          Thanks, as always, for your kind help.

          Mary Ellen Pierson
        • John
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 14, 2013
            What is the URL for this church record?

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "lickridge" <maryellen.pierson@...> wrote:

            > Hello, All! I need your help translating information on a marriage record. The image of the record in question was put into a Word document and uploaded into the FILES section. It's named "1814,Feb21-Falatko,Georgius-marriage record.docx". The page headers are included along with the marriage record.
            >
            > I can find ancestors names in the second column - Georgius Falatko and Cath. Schwartz - but I cannot read the remaining text with the names. Also, I am interested in knowing the towns in the last column. I think Catharina's town is Golintz (now Gelnica), but not sure of Georgius' town. Could it be Krompach (now Krompachy)?
            >
            > Thanks, as always, for your kind help.
            >
            > Mary Ellen Pierson

          • lickridge
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 15, 2013
              https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-22647-9110-80?cc=1554443&wc=M99C-C11:1545518370

              Thank you!

              > What is the URL for this church record?
              >
              > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "lickridge" <maryellen.pierson@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hello, All! I need your help translating information on a marriage record. The image of the record in question was put into a Word document and uploaded into the FILES section. It's named "1814,Feb21-Falatko,Georgius-marriage record.docx". The page headers are included along with the marriage record.
              > >
              > > I can find ancestors names in the second column - Georgius Falatko and Cath. Schwartz - but I cannot read the remaining text with the names. Also, I am interested in knowing the towns in the last column. I think Catharina's town is Golintz (now Gelnica), but not sure of Georgius' town. Could it be Krompach (now Krompachy)?
              > >
              > > Thanks, as always, for your kind help.
              > >
              > > Mary Ellen Pierson

            • John
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 15, 2013
                The village names are Gelnica and Krompachy.

                Sorry, I can't interpret the text near the names.

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "lickridge" <maryellen.pierson@...> wrote:

                > https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-22647-9110-80?cc=1554443&wc=M99C-C11:1545518370
                >
                > Thank you!

                > > What is the URL for this church record?
                > >
                > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "lickridge" <maryellen.pierson@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Hello, All! I need your help translating information on a marriage record. The image of the record in question was put into a Word document and uploaded into the FILES section. It's named "1814,Feb21-Falatko,Georgius-marriage record.docx". The page headers are included along with the marriage record.
                > > >
                > > > I can find ancestors names in the second column - Georgius Falatko and Cath. Schwartz - but I cannot read the remaining text with the names. Also, I am interested in knowing the towns in the last column. I think Catharina's town is Golintz (now Gelnica), but not sure of Georgius' town. Could it be Krompach (now Krompachy)?
                > > >
                > > > Thanks, as always, for your kind help.
                > > >
                > > > Mary Ellen Pierson

              • CurtB
                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 15, 2013
                  Mary Ellen,

                  The notes in the register are the words this priest uses to accompany almost all the marriage records in surrounding pages. That is why it is important to see much of the register and not just the individual record before commenting.

                  He describes the couple as Honestus virtus cum virgine. It just means he was free to marry and she was never married before.

                  I too, read the place name as Krompach and Gelnica

                  Curt B.

                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "lickridge" <maryellen.pierson@...> wrote:

                  > https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-22647-9110-80?cc=1554443&wc=M99C-C11:1545518370
                  >
                  > Thank you!

                  > > What is the URL for this church record?
                  > >
                  > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "lickridge" <maryellen.pierson@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Hello, All! I need your help translating information on a marriage record. The image of the record in question was put into a Word document and uploaded into the FILES section. It's named "1814,Feb21-Falatko,Georgius-marriage record.docx". The page headers are included along with the marriage record.
                  > > >
                  > > > I can find ancestors names in the second column - Georgius Falatko and Cath. Schwartz - but I cannot read the remaining text with the names. Also, I am interested in knowing the towns in the last column. I think Catharina's town is Golintz (now Gelnica), but not sure of Georgius' town. Could it be Krompach (now Krompachy)?
                  > > >
                  > > > Thanks, as always, for your kind help.
                  > > >
                  > > > Mary Ellen Pierson

                • Mary Ellen Pierson
                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 16, 2013
                    Thanks, Curt and John, for your help. This is one of the best listservs out there.

                    Mary Ellen

                    Sent from my iPad