Re: Help with birth location

  • bassfantastic
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 5, 2012
      From what I know, they were Roman Catholic at least the church associated with the cemetery where they were buried is Roman Catholic and I know my late husband and his father were Roman Catholic. Whether they were Greek Catholic at some time, I don't know. I remember my husband telling me that the name Miklish was originally miklos (not sure how that's spelled) Of course, I'm not sure this may or may not be true. Just hearsay I believe

      > I am guessing that he was Greek Catholic. [Russion] was probably Rusyn.
      >
      > Cisarik gives a single clue for Miklic in Zemplen Megye = country and that is in Stropkov.
      >
      > Somehow, we need to figure out the village name in Zemplen Megye. I know that we can do it!

    • MGMojher
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 5, 2012
        You mentioned that the original spelling could be Miklos. In the 1995 Slovak Census there were listings for 1531 Miklos in 329 locations. To further confuse things the surname Miklos has four spellings using dialect marks. There were 17 listings in 13 locations for Miklos (no dialect marks). Miklos with a ‘ over the o had 329 listings in 85 locations. Miklos with a ‘ over the o and a v over the s had 272 listings in 104 locations. And Miklos with a v over the s had 913 listings in 217 locations.

        Because your document listed the ancestral village in Zemplen Megye and the surname Miklic was found in Stropkov of that county, I would make that the town of your first search.

        > I am guessing that he was Greek Catholic. [Russion] was probably Rusyn.
        >
        > Cisarik gives a single clue for Miklic in Zemplen Megye = country and that is in Stropkov.
        >
        > Somehow, we need to figure out the village name in Zemplen Megye. I know that we can do it!

      • htcstech
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 5, 2012
          Miklos is for Nicholas, relating to Mikulas or St Nicklaus and Santa Claus.
          For years I thought my middle name translated to Michael.
          There are quite a few Mikulas in Slovakia and Austria at the time.