Re: Help with birth location

  • bassfantastic
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 5, 2012
      I have not been able to find any census except for the 1910. I do have the funeral record of Peter and his father Nicholas (who is called Michael in some places) I also have both Nicholas & Peter's certificate of Death. The place of birth always seems to be Austria. I do know that my late husband and his father (Theodore Sr & Jr) always said they were Slovak. Here is the line I have:

      Nicholas (Michael) 1861 Austria - 1940 USA
      Peter Miklish 1892 Austria - 1939 USA
      Theodore Miklish Sr 1918 USA - 1981 USA
      Theodore Miklish Jr 1950 USA - 2008 USA (My late husband)

      Peter also had a sister named Mary and a brother named Nicholas (according to the 1910 census) In that census the father Nicholas is listed as Mike. His funeral records and death certificate does have Nicholas.

      They lived in the Forbes Road area of Greensburg and then in New Alex and Crabtree area of Greensburg. I can't find any other census.

      Here are links to my web site where I uploaded the Census and funeral records
      http://www.breny.com/pics/1910Census_Miklish.jpg
      http://www.breny.com/pics/petermiklish_funeralrecord.jpg
      http://www.breny.com/pics/nicholasmiklish_funeralrecord.jpg
    • bassfantastic
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 5, 2012
        From what I know, they were Roman Catholic at least the church associated with the cemetery where they were buried is Roman Catholic and I know my late husband and his father were Roman Catholic. Whether they were Greek Catholic at some time, I don't know. I remember my husband telling me that the name Miklish was originally miklos (not sure how that's spelled) Of course, I'm not sure this may or may not be true. Just hearsay I believe

        > I am guessing that he was Greek Catholic. [Russion] was probably Rusyn.
        >
        > Cisarik gives a single clue for Miklic in Zemplen Megye = country and that is in Stropkov.
        >
        > Somehow, we need to figure out the village name in Zemplen Megye. I know that we can do it!

      • MGMojher
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 5, 2012
          You mentioned that the original spelling could be Miklos. In the 1995 Slovak Census there were listings for 1531 Miklos in 329 locations. To further confuse things the surname Miklos has four spellings using dialect marks. There were 17 listings in 13 locations for Miklos (no dialect marks). Miklos with a ‘ over the o had 329 listings in 85 locations. Miklos with a ‘ over the o and a v over the s had 272 listings in 104 locations. And Miklos with a v over the s had 913 listings in 217 locations.

          Because your document listed the ancestral village in Zemplen Megye and the surname Miklic was found in Stropkov of that county, I would make that the town of your first search.

          > I am guessing that he was Greek Catholic. [Russion] was probably Rusyn.
          >
          > Cisarik gives a single clue for Miklic in Zemplen Megye = country and that is in Stropkov.
          >
          > Somehow, we need to figure out the village name in Zemplen Megye. I know that we can do it!

        • htcstech
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 5, 2012
            Miklos is for Nicholas, relating to Mikulas or St Nicklaus and Santa Claus.
            For years I thought my middle name translated to Michael.
            There are quite a few Mikulas in Slovakia and Austria at the time.