RE: [S-R] Need help with translation

  • Sue Martin
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 5, 2012
      Can you send the link so we can look at it? From what you've said, it's Hungarian, but it would be useful to be able to see it.

      Sue

      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 5, 2012
        In reviewing records for Krasnohorske Podhradie, I came across what I
        believe may be my great-grandfather's second wife.  The record is found
        at ROZNAVA,-KRASNOHORSKE PODHRADIE,  Baptisms, conversions deaths
        1744-1864.  The record is on frame 354 of 670,  on the right side of the page , the 8th line down, date is March 2.

        In the Parent's column above the name Vittek Maria, there is writing
        which looks like "aratya  nem , a cross, and what appears to be udattik"
        I have tried Google Translate using Latin, Slovak and Hungarian with no luck.
        Can anyone decipher what is written?  It would greatly be appreciated.

        Thank you

        Bob Pollak

        Link to page.  Sorry I forgot to include it in my original email.

        https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-22649-2569-64?cc=1554443&wc=MM17-7LN:1906989890

      • MGMojher

          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 5, 2012
            Bob,
            It simply says 'father not known [disclosed]' . What you thought was a cross is the letter "t" of the word tudattak, which is the one meaning disclosed or known.

            Curt B.

          • david1law@aol.com
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 5, 2012
              Dear Bob:

              Are you able to post the page of the records? I have searched through the
              records before, and compiled a lot of information, but unfortunately, my old
              computer crashed. Moral to the story: back up all genealogical records.
              So I would be happy to be a second set of eyes to help decypher the writing.

              My great, great, great grandfather JAN HRONEC was born in ROZNAVA. For
              some reason, your surname POLLAK rings a bell but I cannot place my finger
              at the moment. My HRONEC clan had lived in villages of BRZOTIN and CUCMA
              among others. The surnames below are in my direct lineage

              Please also feel to write me directly at _David1Law@..._
              (mailto:David1Law@...) .

              Best regards,

              David

              Researching the village of ROZNAVA, BRZOTIN, and CUCMA in GEMER County //
              the villages of DOMANOVCE, HRISOVCE, KIS SZALOK, KALAVA, KOLONOCZ, KLUKNAVA,
              MLYNICA, RICHNAVA, SPISSKE VLACHY, STARY SMOKOVEC, SLATVINA, in SPIS
              County // the villages of DOLINA, OVCIE, SIROKE, AND VITAZ in SARIS County the
              following surnames: BALOGA (BALOG, BALOGH), BELAK, BUXAR (BUKSAR) CSUJ
              (CUJ), HAMRAK, HARBALY, HARENCSAR, HRONEC, HVIZDOS, JURASKO, KAFFAN, KISSEL,
              KOVALCIK, KREDATUS, ONDERCIN, RUSZBACZKY, TAKACS, TOMASOV, and variant
              spellings thereof.

              Also KUBIT, MOSKAL, ZAJDEL, WALASZCZYK, KOSIBA in BIALOBRZEGI, SUCHODOL,
              GLOWIENKA, and KROSNO, POLAND.

              In a message dated 12/5/2012 9:26:28 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
              rjp4053@... writes:

              In reviewing records for Krasnohorske Podhradie, I came across what I
              believe may be my great-grandfather's second wife. The record is found at
              ROZNAVA,-KRASNOHORSKE PODHRADIE, Baptisms, conversions deaths 1744-1864. The
              record is on frame 354 of 670, on the right side of the page , the 8th
              line down, date is March 2.

              In the Parent's column above the name Vittek Maria, there is writing which
              looks like "aratya nem , a cross, and what appears to be udattik"
              I have tried Google Translate using Latin, Slovak and Hungarian with no
              luck.
              Can anyone decipher what is written? It would greatly be appreciated.

              Thank you

              Bob Pollak

            • William C. Wormuth
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 7, 2012
                AZ Atya = Not the Father   On the next page at the bottom are 2 more illegitimate children listed

                Z Bohom,

                Vilo

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 14, 2013
                  Hello, All! I need your help translating information on a marriage record. The image of the record in question was put into a Word document and uploaded into the FILES section. It's named "1814,Feb21-Falatko,Georgius-marriage record.docx". The page headers are included along with the marriage record.

                  I can find ancestors names in the second column - Georgius Falatko and Cath. Schwartz - but I cannot read the remaining text with the names. Also, I am interested in knowing the towns in the last column. I think Catharina's town is Golintz (now Gelnica), but not sure of Georgius' town. Could it be Krompach (now Krompachy)?

                  Thanks, as always, for your kind help.

                  Mary Ellen Pierson
                • John
                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 14, 2013
                    What is the URL for this church record?

                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "lickridge" <maryellen.pierson@...> wrote:

                    > Hello, All! I need your help translating information on a marriage record. The image of the record in question was put into a Word document and uploaded into the FILES section. It's named "1814,Feb21-Falatko,Georgius-marriage record.docx". The page headers are included along with the marriage record.
                    >
                    > I can find ancestors names in the second column - Georgius Falatko and Cath. Schwartz - but I cannot read the remaining text with the names. Also, I am interested in knowing the towns in the last column. I think Catharina's town is Golintz (now Gelnica), but not sure of Georgius' town. Could it be Krompach (now Krompachy)?
                    >
                    > Thanks, as always, for your kind help.
                    >
                    > Mary Ellen Pierson

                  • lickridge
                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 15, 2013
                      https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-22647-9110-80?cc=1554443&wc=M99C-C11:1545518370

                      Thank you!

                      > What is the URL for this church record?
                      >
                      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "lickridge" <maryellen.pierson@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hello, All! I need your help translating information on a marriage record. The image of the record in question was put into a Word document and uploaded into the FILES section. It's named "1814,Feb21-Falatko,Georgius-marriage record.docx". The page headers are included along with the marriage record.
                      > >
                      > > I can find ancestors names in the second column - Georgius Falatko and Cath. Schwartz - but I cannot read the remaining text with the names. Also, I am interested in knowing the towns in the last column. I think Catharina's town is Golintz (now Gelnica), but not sure of Georgius' town. Could it be Krompach (now Krompachy)?
                      > >
                      > > Thanks, as always, for your kind help.
                      > >
                      > > Mary Ellen Pierson

                    • John
                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 15, 2013
                        The village names are Gelnica and Krompachy.

                        Sorry, I can't interpret the text near the names.

                        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "lickridge" <maryellen.pierson@...> wrote:

                        > https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-22647-9110-80?cc=1554443&wc=M99C-C11:1545518370
                        >
                        > Thank you!

                        > > What is the URL for this church record?
                        > >
                        > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "lickridge" <maryellen.pierson@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Hello, All! I need your help translating information on a marriage record. The image of the record in question was put into a Word document and uploaded into the FILES section. It's named "1814,Feb21-Falatko,Georgius-marriage record.docx". The page headers are included along with the marriage record.
                        > > >
                        > > > I can find ancestors names in the second column - Georgius Falatko and Cath. Schwartz - but I cannot read the remaining text with the names. Also, I am interested in knowing the towns in the last column. I think Catharina's town is Golintz (now Gelnica), but not sure of Georgius' town. Could it be Krompach (now Krompachy)?
                        > > >
                        > > > Thanks, as always, for your kind help.
                        > > >
                        > > > Mary Ellen Pierson

                      • CurtB
                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 15, 2013
                          Mary Ellen,

                          The notes in the register are the words this priest uses to accompany almost all the marriage records in surrounding pages. That is why it is important to see much of the register and not just the individual record before commenting.

                          He describes the couple as Honestus virtus cum virgine. It just means he was free to marry and she was never married before.

                          I too, read the place name as Krompach and Gelnica

                          Curt B.

                          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "lickridge" <maryellen.pierson@...> wrote:

                          > https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-22647-9110-80?cc=1554443&wc=M99C-C11:1545518370
                          >
                          > Thank you!

                          > > What is the URL for this church record?
                          > >
                          > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "lickridge" <maryellen.pierson@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Hello, All! I need your help translating information on a marriage record. The image of the record in question was put into a Word document and uploaded into the FILES section. It's named "1814,Feb21-Falatko,Georgius-marriage record.docx". The page headers are included along with the marriage record.
                          > > >
                          > > > I can find ancestors names in the second column - Georgius Falatko and Cath. Schwartz - but I cannot read the remaining text with the names. Also, I am interested in knowing the towns in the last column. I think Catharina's town is Golintz (now Gelnica), but not sure of Georgius' town. Could it be Krompach (now Krompachy)?
                          > > >
                          > > > Thanks, as always, for your kind help.
                          > > >
                          > > > Mary Ellen Pierson

                        • Mary Ellen Pierson
                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 16, 2013
                            Thanks, Curt and John, for your help. This is one of the best listservs out there.

                            Mary Ellen

                            Sent from my iPad