Re: [S-R] New Member

  • Ron
    Message 1 of 81 , Dec 5, 2012
      John & Peter,

      Neither of you has given a hint as to whether or not you have researced the German sources for information or not. If not I would certainly suggest googling for documents they have assembled and published. Quite a few of their websites are in German, but some have English language mirrors.The expellees (vertriebenen) are dominated by the Sudeten, but there are sections for the Zipser and Hauerlander and Pressburger sections, as well as Bukovina and other small areas.

      I ave seen some maps published on villages enumerating each house and identifying the former owner. Over the decades they have published many books, tomes and white papers on the experiences from the suffering to the individual village stories. I have no need for the detail myself, so I have not investigated it in depth.

      For anyone not familiar with this, I again suggest Google and key words vertiebene, also preceeded by zipser , hauerland / hauer, and perhaps slowakei or ungarn. Also Bund der Vertriebenen, Vertreibung, Verband der Landsmannschaften, Bund der Vertriebenen. In Germany there is also the Center against Expulsion, Bund der Vertriebenen that may have information or be able to guide you on new sources. Look on their pages for a British flag or clickable (english) version. Much of their materiál is for sale.

      They have been meeting in Nurenberg on Easter Monday since the early 1950's, and there should be an exhausting supply of documents there. The Vertriebenen have been a notable political power in West German politics and have carried their share of internal German controversy over the years.

      I am glad to see the two of you agree with me that genealogy belongs on this forum and politics elsewhere. When you find good sources of information, of course, do share.

      As for assimilation, in my own family I would like to determine if the southern (Lozin) side were Rusyn and assimilated since the 1800/1806 census. But that is my homework.

      > > Ron said "try to keep it as close to genealogical as possible. There are many controversial stories to be learned above, and this is NOT the forum to hash these out!"

      Have you researched any of the resources I outlined above?

      Ron

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, John Zimmerman <Hwedhlor@...> wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > > Ron said "try to keep it as close to genealogical as possible. There are
      > > many controversial stories to be learned above, and this is NOT the forum
      > > to hash these out!"
      > >
      > > This IS a genealogic forum and the Benes Decree is vital! It may be a taboo
      > > subject here, but it's importance for later genealogical work is very
      > > significant. We tend not to discuss this and almost ignoring those
      > > of Slovak/Rusyn/Bohemian/Moravian/German/Ukrainian and Galacian ancestry
      > > (hundreds of thousands) who are now fully assimilated in Hungarian ethnic
      > > towns and villages along the southern strip. Millions of people were
      > > displaced throughout the whole of Czechoslovakia because of the Benes
      > > decree.
      > >
      > > 2011 - the darker the green the more 'ethnic' Hungarians:
      > > http://www.foruminst.sk/images/album/129/2-392-33729-129-orig.jpg That is a
      > > significant slab of Slovakia where the ethnic border does not match the
      > > political one. A map of German displacement would be extremely valuable.
      > >
      > > I understand fully that political discussions are verboten, but sooner or
      > > later those Benes Decree lists will become (some are already) public
      > > domain. The ones I've seen show which families were forced to move.
      > > Documentary evidence is being collected as we speak showing adoption of
      > > Czechoslovak citizenship, travelling papers, resettlement addresses and
      > > other vital information. Being 2012, the parents of those who were evicted
      > > are passing on, so this knowledge becomes vital. Even some Slovaks were
      > > deported!
      > > Here's a memorial plaque of those families that were displaced by the Benes
      > > Decree:
      > > http://www.foruminst.sk/en/66/visual_bilingualism/0/research_on_usage_of_hungarian_language_in_southern_slovakia/1/5210/deportees_memorial_plaque
      > > (note that previous 'face on' images of this were removed by the website to
      > > protect the identities of those listed)
      > >
      > > And it's not just Slovakia, but significant Hungarian, Serbian and Romanian
      > > displacements as well, all authorized and carried out by their respective
      > > post WW2 governments.
      > > In fact it is impossible to do later - post WW1 and WW2 genealogical work
      > > without mentioning (non-jewish) genocide, atrocities and other forms of
      > > cleansing in some of these places. Millions were displaced or killed
      > > including ethnic Slovaks and Rusyns - and as further academic research
      > > continues past the 50 year moratorium, more of this will come to light.
      > >
      > > I agree that we should concentrate on genealogy, but referral to the above
      > > events should not be dismissed out of hand as a cause for death and
      > > displacement.
      > >
      > > Peter M.
      > >
      > > On 5 December 2012 10:49, Ron <amiak27@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > > try to keep it as close to genealogical as possible. There are many
      > > > controversial stories to be learned above, and this is NOT the forum to

    • John
      Message 81 of 81 , Dec 8, 2012
        >>> Anyone who wishes to explore THAT topic should do so on Slovak World, please! <<<

        Acquiring new memberships at Slovak World is seemingly impossible. Greg Kopchak is not responding.