Re: [S-R] Re: Help with birth location

  • htcstech
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 4, 2012
      Recently, I found that if you can find his naturalization papers, his place
      of birth should be listed there. Do you have it somewhere?

      Peter M.

      On 5 December 2012 13:50, John <johnqadam@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > I am guessing that he was Greek Catholic. [Russion] was probably Rusyn.
      >
      > Cisarik gives a single clue for Miklic in Zemplen Megye = country and that
      > is in Stropkov.
      >
      > Somehow, we need to figure out the village name in Zemplen Megye. I know
      > that we can do it!
      >

      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "bassfantastic" <breny@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > This is my deceased husband's grandfather. There are no living relatives
      > available to ask where exactly they came from but I have found some
      > information on his WW1 Draft Registration.
      > >
      > > Please view this at my web page: http://www.breny.com/pics/ww1_1.jpg
      > >
      > > It looks like Nutsnois Zenplinski, Austria to me. On the 1910 US Census
      > he is living with a lot of families that all say they are from Austria and
      > they actually have Russian as the language they speak. The last name is
      > currently Miklish, but I've seen lots of variations on that such as
      > Micklish, Miklus, Micklos, Miklos. Peter was born in 1892 and the earliest
      > I find him in the US is the 1910 Census with his parents and siblings.
      > >
      > > I'm trying to research this for my daughter.
      > >
      > > Any help is apprecated.
      > >
      > > Brenda

    • MGMojher
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 4, 2012
        In the 1995 Slovak Census there were 22 listings for Miklic in 4 locations. They are are in eastern Slovakia.
        Priezvisko MIKLIČ sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 22×, celkový počet lokalít: 4, v lokalitách:
        PREŠOV, okr. PREŠOV – 13×;
        ROŽŇAVA, okr. ROŽŇAVA – 4×;
        NIŽNÁ ŠEBASTOVÁ (obec PREŠOV), okr. PREŠOV – 3×;
        STROPKOV, okr. SVIDNÍK (od r. 1996 STROPKOV) – 2×;

        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 4, 2012
          Brenda,

          We may need to look more closely at more recent records if we can't determine what town that is on his draft registration.
          I'm assuming the census records are in the same general area of W. PA? I can find a couple death references of different Theodore MIKLISHs...but what was the spelling and locations for the previous generations?

          TOM

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "bassfantastic" <breny@...> wrote:

          > This is my deceased husband's grandfather. There are no living relatives available to ask where exactly they came from but I have found some information on his WW1 Draft Registration.
          >
          > Please view this at my web page: http://www.breny.com/pics/ww1_1.jpg
          >
          > It looks like Nutsnois Zenplinski, Austria to me. On the 1910 US Census he is living with a lot of families that all say they are from Austria and they actually have Russian as the language they speak. The last name is currently Miklish, but I've seen lots of variations on that such as Micklish, Miklus, Micklos, Miklos. Peter was born in 1892 and the earliest I find him in the US is the 1910 Census with his parents and siblings.
          >
          > I'm trying to research this for my daughter.
          >
          > Any help is apprecated.
          >
          > Brenda

        • htcstech
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 4, 2012
            The ending of the town's name is ~ocs and not ois. The accent that looks
            like the dot over the i should be over the o.

            On 5 December 2012 17:23, t.salony <t.salony@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Brenda,
            >
            > We may need to look more closely at more recent records if we can't
            > determine what town that is on his draft registration.
            > I'm assuming the census records are in the same general area of W. PA? I
            > can find a couple death references of different Theodore MIKLISHs...but
            > what was the spelling and locations for the previous generations?
            >
            > TOM
            >

            > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "bassfantastic" <breny@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > This is my deceased husband's grandfather. There are no living relatives
            > available to ask where exactly they came from but I have found some
            > information on his WW1 Draft Registration.
            > >
            > > Please view this at my web page: http://www.breny.com/pics/ww1_1.jpg
            > >
            > > It looks like Nutsnois Zenplinski, Austria to me. On the 1910 US Census
            > he is living with a lot of families that all say they are from Austria and
            > they actually have Russian as the language they speak. The last name is
            > currently Miklish, but I've seen lots of variations on that such as
            > Micklish, Miklus, Micklos, Miklos. Peter was born in 1892 and the earliest
            > I find him in the US is the 1910 Census with his parents and siblings.
            > >
            > > I'm trying to research this for my daughter.
            > >
            > > Any help is apprecated.
            > >
            > > Brenda

          • htcstech
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 4, 2012
              @Tom
              Also MIKLISH should be MIKLICS if we are to follow Hungarian spelling
              conventions. I've found nothing yet on the LDS website.

              Peter M

              On 5 December 2012 17:54, htcstech <htcstech@...> wrote:

              > The ending of the town's name is ~ocs and not ois. The accent that looks
              > like the dot over the i should be over the o.
              >

              > On 5 December 2012 17:23, t.salony <t.salony@...> wrote:
              >
              >> **
              >>

              >> Brenda,
              >>
              >> We may need to look more closely at more recent records if we can't
              >> determine what town that is on his draft registration.
              >> I'm assuming the census records are in the same general area of W. PA? I
              >> can find a couple death references of different Theodore MIKLISHs...but
              >> what was the spelling and locations for the previous generations?
              >>
              >> TOM
              >>

              >> --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "bassfantastic" <breny@...> wrote:
              >> >
              >> > This is my deceased husband's grandfather. There are no living
              >> relatives available to ask where exactly they came from but I have found
              >> some information on his WW1 Draft Registration.
              >> >
              >> > Please view this at my web page: http://www.breny.com/pics/ww1_1.jpg
              >> >
              >> > It looks like Nutsnois Zenplinski, Austria to me. On the 1910 US Census
              >> he is living with a lot of families that all say they are from Austria and
              >> they actually have Russian as the language they speak. The last name is
              >> currently Miklish, but I've seen lots of variations on that such as
              >> Micklish, Miklus, Micklos, Miklos. Peter was born in 1892 and the earliest
              >> I find him in the US is the 1910 Census with his parents and siblings.
              >> >
              >> > I'm trying to research this for my daughter.
              >> >
              >> > Any help is apprecated.
              >> >
              >> > Brenda

            • htcstech
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 5, 2012
                Brenda said "
                It looks like Nutsnois Zenplinski, Austria to me. On the 1910 US Census he
                is living with a lot of families that all say they are from Austria and
                they actually have Russian as the language they speak. The last name is
                currently Miklish, but I've seen lots of variations on that such as
                Micklish, Miklus, Micklos, Miklos. Peter was born in 1892 and the earliest
                I find him in the US is the 1910 Census with his parents and siblings."

                I'll put this out there that Peat Miklish was probably from Austria
                controlled Galacia,parts of which were in a tug of war with Poland and
                Russia. The 1910 Census that I can find is for the MKULIS family which is a
                Lithuanian spelling and most probably they spoke Russian. The
                Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth was huge, but broke apart and was split
                bewteen Austria, Prussia and the Russian Empire. The 'Zenplinski' region
                could be the old Zemplin county though, which did border Poland during the
                time of his and parent's birth as well as present day Ukraine.
                There's no village resembling Nutznocs in either Radix, fallingrain, no
                'Zenplinski' and current scanned records have pretty much nothing on
                Miklish Mkulis or variants.
                I'm not sure if there is any online source for Gallacia for the time and
                without a birthplace it's doubly hard to work this out.

                Peter (middle name is Miklos) M.

                On 5 December 2012 18:06, htcstech <htcstech@...> wrote:

                > @Tom
                > Also MIKLISH should be MIKLICS if we are to follow Hungarian spelling
                > conventions. I've found nothing yet on the LDS website.
                >
                > Peter M
                >

                > On 5 December 2012 17:54, htcstech <htcstech@...> wrote:
                >
                >> The ending of the town's name is ~ocs and not ois. The accent that looks
                >> like the dot over the i should be over the o.
                >>

                >> On 5 December 2012 17:23, t.salony <t.salony@...> wrote:
                >>
                >>> **
                >>>

                >>> Brenda,
                >>>
                >>> We may need to look more closely at more recent records if we can't
                >>> determine what town that is on his draft registration.
                >>> I'm assuming the census records are in the same general area of W. PA? I
                >>> can find a couple death references of different Theodore MIKLISHs...but
                >>> what was the spelling and locations for the previous generations?
                >>>
                >>> TOM

                >>> relatives available to ask where exactly they came from but I have found
                >>> some information on his WW1 Draft Registration.

                >>> Census he is living with a lot of families that all say they are from
                >>> Austria and they actually have Russian as the language they speak. The last
                >>> name is currently Miklish, but I've seen lots of variations on that such as
                >>> Micklish, Miklus, Micklos, Miklos. Peter was born in 1892 and the earliest
                >>> I find him in the US is the 1910 Census with his parents and siblings.

              • John
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 5, 2012
                  Of these, ONE was in Zemplen Megye.

                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "MGMojher" <mgmojher@...> wrote:

                  > In the 1995 Slovak Census there were 22 listings for Miklic in 4 locations. They are are in eastern Slovakia.
                  > Priezvisko MIKLIČ sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 22×, celkový počet lokalít: 4, v lokalitách:
                  > PREÅ OV, okr. PREÅ OV â€" 13×;
                  > ROŽŇAVA, okr. ROŽŇAVA â€" 4×;
                  > NIŽNÁ Å EBASTOVÁ (obec PREÅ OV), okr. PREÅ OV â€" 3×;
                  > STROPKOV, okr. SVIDNÍK (od r. 1996 STROPKOV) â€" 2×;
                • Ron
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 5, 2012
                    In addition to Zemplen, the first letter of the location looks very much like the M in May, the date above it.

                    I took that and tried different combinations I could imagine and scoured my Hungarian Gazeteer, but failed to find a plausible location. N also failed that method.

                    Ron

                    > Of these, ONE was in Zemplen Megye.
                    >
                    > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "MGMojher" <mgmojher@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > In the 1995 Slovak Census there were 22 listings for Miklic in 4 locations. They are are in eastern Slovakia.
                    > > Priezvisko MIKLIČ sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 22×, celkový počet lokalít: 4, v lokalitách:
                    > > PREÅ OV, okr. PREÅ OV â€" 13×;
                    > > ROŽŇAVA, okr. ROŽŇAVA â€" 4×;
                    > > NIŽNÁ Å EBASTOVÁ (obec PREÅ OV), okr. PREÅ OV â€" 3×;
                    > > STROPKOV, okr. SVIDNÍK (od r. 1996 STROPKOV) â€" 2×;

                  • bassfantastic
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 5, 2012
                      I have not been able to find any census except for the 1910. I do have the funeral record of Peter and his father Nicholas (who is called Michael in some places) I also have both Nicholas & Peter's certificate of Death. The place of birth always seems to be Austria. I do know that my late husband and his father (Theodore Sr & Jr) always said they were Slovak. Here is the line I have:

                      Nicholas (Michael) 1861 Austria - 1940 USA
                      Peter Miklish 1892 Austria - 1939 USA
                      Theodore Miklish Sr 1918 USA - 1981 USA
                      Theodore Miklish Jr 1950 USA - 2008 USA (My late husband)

                      Peter also had a sister named Mary and a brother named Nicholas (according to the 1910 census) In that census the father Nicholas is listed as Mike. His funeral records and death certificate does have Nicholas.

                      They lived in the Forbes Road area of Greensburg and then in New Alex and Crabtree area of Greensburg. I can't find any other census.

                      Here are links to my web site where I uploaded the Census and funeral records
                      http://www.breny.com/pics/1910Census_Miklish.jpg
                      http://www.breny.com/pics/petermiklish_funeralrecord.jpg
                      http://www.breny.com/pics/nicholasmiklish_funeralrecord.jpg
                    • bassfantastic
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 5, 2012
                        From what I know, they were Roman Catholic at least the church associated with the cemetery where they were buried is Roman Catholic and I know my late husband and his father were Roman Catholic. Whether they were Greek Catholic at some time, I don't know. I remember my husband telling me that the name Miklish was originally miklos (not sure how that's spelled) Of course, I'm not sure this may or may not be true. Just hearsay I believe

                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 5, 2012
                          You mentioned that the original spelling could be Miklos. In the 1995 Slovak Census there were listings for 1531 Miklos in 329 locations. To further confuse things the surname Miklos has four spellings using dialect marks. There were 17 listings in 13 locations for Miklos (no dialect marks). Miklos with a ‘ over the o had 329 listings in 85 locations. Miklos with a ‘ over the o and a v over the s had 272 listings in 104 locations. And Miklos with a v over the s had 913 listings in 217 locations.

                          Because your document listed the ancestral village in Zemplen Megye and the surname Miklic was found in Stropkov of that county, I would make that the town of your first search.

                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 5, 2012
                            Miklos is for Nicholas, relating to Mikulas or St Nicklaus and Santa Claus.
                            For years I thought my middle name translated to Michael.
                            There are quite a few Mikulas in Slovakia and Austria at the time.