Re: [S-R] New Member

  • htcstech
    Message 1 of 81 , Dec 4, 2012
      Ron said "try to keep it as close to genealogical as possible. There are
      many controversial stories to be learned above, and this is NOT the forum
      to hash these out!"

      This IS a genealogic forum and the Benes Decree is vital! It may be a taboo
      subject here, but it's importance for later genealogical work is very
      significant. We tend not to discuss this and almost ignoring those
      of Slovak/Rusyn/Bohemian/Moravian/German/Ukrainian and Galacian ancestry
      (hundreds of thousands) who are now fully assimilated in Hungarian ethnic
      towns and villages along the southern strip. Millions of people were
      displaced throughout the whole of Czechoslovakia because of the Benes
      decree.

      2011 - the darker the green the more 'ethnic' Hungarians:
      http://www.foruminst.sk/images/album/129/2-392-33729-129-orig.jpg That is a
      significant slab of Slovakia where the ethnic border does not match the
      political one. A map of German displacement would be extremely valuable.

      I understand fully that political discussions are verboten, but sooner or
      later those Benes Decree lists will become (some are already) public
      domain. The ones I've seen show which families were forced to move.
      Documentary evidence is being collected as we speak showing adoption of
      Czechoslovak citizenship, travelling papers, resettlement addresses and
      other vital information. Being 2012, the parents of those who were evicted
      are passing on, so this knowledge becomes vital. Even some Slovaks were
      deported!
      Here's a memorial plaque of those families that were displaced by the Benes
      Decree:
      http://www.foruminst.sk/en/66/visual_bilingualism/0/research_on_usage_of_hungarian_language_in_southern_slovakia/1/5210/deportees_memorial_plaque
      (note that previous 'face on' images of this were removed by the website to
      protect the identities of those listed)

      And it's not just Slovakia, but significant Hungarian, Serbian and Romanian
      displacements as well, all authorized and carried out by their respective
      post WW2 governments.
      In fact it is impossible to do later - post WW1 and WW2 genealogical work
      without mentioning (non-jewish) genocide, atrocities and other forms of
      cleansing in some of these places. Millions were displaced or killed
      including ethnic Slovaks and Rusyns - and as further academic research
      continues past the 50 year moratorium, more of this will come to light.

      I agree that we should concentrate on genealogy, but referral to the above
      events should not be dismissed out of hand as a cause for death and
      displacement.

      Peter M.

      On 5 December 2012 10:49, Ron <amiak27@...> wrote:

      > try to keep it as close to genealogical as possible. There are many
      > controversial stories to be learned above, and this is NOT the forum to
      > hash these out!

    • John
      Message 81 of 81 , Dec 8, 2012
        >>> Anyone who wishes to explore THAT topic should do so on Slovak World, please! <<<

        Acquiring new memberships at Slovak World is seemingly impossible. Greg Kopchak is not responding.