Re: [S-R] ordained ministers and their genealogy

  • MGMojher
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 4, 2012
      http://www.ecav.sk/?p=uvitanie This is the website of the Evangelical Church in Slovakia. They have an English site, but very little is there since it seems to be under construction. I would think that you should be able to contact them about where the pastors were located.
      http://www.evangelikus.hu/nyitolap?set_language=en&cl=en Here is the website for the Evangelical Church in Hungary.

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 4, 2012
        Pan Mojher,
        Thx! Any chance you might know where to chase this 'described document' down. State Archives?

        ....v. Kцnig Leopold I., i. J. 1710 einen Adels- u. Wappenbrief (im Vereine mit dem Geschlechte Leporisz), welcher 1711 im Trentschiner Ctte publicirt wurde.

        LLeporis

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "MGMojher" <mgmojher@...> wrote:

        > http://www.ecav.sk/?p=uvitanie This is the website of the Evangelical Church in Slovakia. They have an English site, but very little is there since it seems to be under construction. I would think that you should be able to contact them about where the pastors were located.
        > http://www.evangelikus.hu/nyitolap?set_language=en&cl=en Here is the website for the Evangelical Church in Hungary.

      • MGMojher
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 4, 2012
          v. CN † King Leopold I, in AD 1710 one-and nobility. crest letter (in union with the race Leporisz) also (in the clubs with the tribe of Leporisz), which in 1711 was Trentschiner ctte publicirt - is how Google Translate did your German notation.

          Trentschiner is Trencsén county (in Latin: comitatus Trentsiniensis/Trenchiniensis, in Hungarian Trencsén (vár) megye, in Slovak Trenčiansky komitát/ Trenčianska stolica/ Trenčianska župa, German: Trentschiner Gespanschaft/Komitat) is the name of a historic administrative county (comitatus) of the Kingdom of Hungary. Its territory is presently in western Slovakia.

          There is a state archive in Trencin, but it is pretty limited in its holdings. The Slovak National Archive in Bratislava would be a better one to try and see if they have the document you are looking for.

          There is a problem with the notation – King Leopold I died in 1705, so how he could be doing something in 1710 is interesting.

          --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "MGMojher" <mgmojher@...> wrote:

          > http://www.ecav.sk/?p=uvitanie This is the website of the Evangelical Church in Slovakia. They have an English site, but very little is there since it seems to be under construction. I would think that you should be able to contact them about where the pastors were located.
          > http://www.evangelikus.hu/nyitolap?set_language=en&cl=en Here is the website for the Evangelical Church in Hungary.

        • htcstech
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 4, 2012
            Well I can safely state that the Ozman (Ottoman) advance, Rakozi, Thokoly
            and Thurzo, all promoted Evangelical over Catholic. The Ottomans were
            anti-Catholic and strongly promoted Lutheranism. The effect of this was
            that churches once Catholic - turned Lutheran overnight, then back to
            Catholic, also overnight in Hapsburg controlled areas.
            I too am looking for Lutheran records, particularly of the Galanta district
            which reverted back to Catholicism. I do have Balskovics Jozsef's "Az
            Ujvari Ejalet Torok Adoosszeirasai" - Pozsony 1993 Erdem ('The Ujvari
            Eyalet Turkish Tax Collections' ~ Hungarian only) which looks at the
            Ottoman defters for Ersekujvar and (partially) Estergom vyalets, detailing
            names and places throughout the region. The issue he found was that the
            Ottomans transcribed names into Arabic script phonetically and so not
            directly translatable back to Magyar. Consequently he spent a decade or so
            sounding out names from the defters in Arabic and tried to find Magyar and
            Slav cognomens. He assembled around 20,000 names with cognomen locations of
            the period.
            This is also complicated by the fact that when the tax collectors came,
            many hid in forests to avoid the defters, so we are not talking about 100%
            participation.
            Genealogically, the records mentions relationships - eg father to son,
            brother etc, but as the tax collectors had little idea of the naming
            conventions, a lot of confusion arose as they confused work names, places
            and vezetek names (surnames). Many of these names stuck. The nobility and
            possibly some clergy evacuated into safehaven Hapsberg controlled towns.
            Another aspect to consider is that none of this is on a database of any
            sort.
            Very few academic studies have been made using defters as a historic
            resource. Contact Gabor Agoston for further information on this (Georgetown
            University - I'll forward his email if you are interested).

            So prior to the mid 1700's many church records were 'lost' - but I am
            hopeful that they are around somewhere, maybe in Lutheran archives. I am
            furious that records after the Turks were thrown out, between 1700 and 1770
            have also 'disappeared'. Why?

            Peter M.

          • William C. Wormuth
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 7, 2012