Re: looking for my great-grandfather, great-grandmother birth records

  • Judy
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 30, 2012
      What religion?

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "jerubasky1" <jerubasky1@...> wrote:

      > Hello everyone,
      > I'm looking for my great-grandparents birth records.
      >
      > My Great-Grandfather Josef Rubacky was born on 19 Jul 1868 in Zborov,Saris,Slovakia was the son of Josef Rubaczky and Maria Matusovits.
      >
      > My Great-Grandmother Anna Superka was born on 26 July 1880 in Dubovica,Slovakia was the daughter of John Superka and Anna Mortonak.
      >
      > I hope that someone can help me out.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > JoAnne (Rubasky) Kaiman

    • MGMojher
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 30, 2012
        Link to Rubaczky in Zborov - https://familysearch.org/search/records/index#count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3AJozef~%20%2Bsurname%3ARubaczky~%20%2Bbirth_place%3AZborov~

        Family Search had no listing under Superka.

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 30, 2012
          Judy, The religion would  be Roman Cathloic or Greek Catholic?  I dont know for sure.

          Thanks,

          JoAnne E.(Rubasky) Kaiman

          > I'm looking for my great-grandparents birth records.
          >
          > My Great-Grandfather Josef Rubacky was born on 19 Jul 1868 in Zborov,Saris,Slovakia was the son of Josef Rubaczky and Maria Matusovits.
          >
          > My Great-Grandmother Anna Superka was born on 26 July 1880 in Dubovica,Slovakia was the daughter of John Superka and Anna Mortonak.
          >
          > I hope that someone can help me out.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > JoAnne (Rubasky) Kaiman

        • John
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 30, 2012
            >>> My Great-Grandfather Josef Rubacky was born on 19 Jul 1868 in Zborov,Saris,Slovakia was the son of Josef Rubaczky and Maria Matusovits. <<<

            Have you researched the following ONLINE RC church records?

            Inv. c. 1532
            Krsty 1861-1872

            >>> My Great-Grandmother Anna Superka was born on 26 July 1880 in Dubovica, Slovakia was the daughter of John Superka and Anna Mortonak. <<<

            Inv. c. 237
            Krsty 1853-1879
            Manželstvá 1853-1886
            Krsty 1879-1886
          • Judy
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 4, 2012
              Joanne,

              How certain are you of the dates you gave?

              There are no Greek Catholic records for Zborov or Dubovica, so would have to have been recorded in Roman Catholic records.

              But in the R. Catholic-Bardejov-Zborov records there is no Josef Rubacky recorded as born 19 Jul 1868, or in all of 1868. In R. Catholic-Sabinov-Dubavica records there is no Anna Superka recorded as born 26 Jul 1880, or in all of 1880.

              Using the name search for Josef Rubacky, there are hits for Zborov, some even with mother's name Maria Matusovits, but none for your date. I think the closest date was in 1872.

              > Have you researched the following ONLINE RC church records?
              >
              > Inv. c. 1532
              > Krsty 1861-1872

              > Inv. c. 237
              > Krsty 1853-1879
              > Manželstvá 1853-1886
              > Krsty 1879-1886

            • Judy
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 5, 2012
                Glad you were able to locate the great grandfather's birth record. The handwriting there was pretty difficult to make out. Was the birth date close to what you had?

                You say you looking for information on your father's family. What direction are you heading with your research?

                If searching backwards in Slovakia, keep searching through the birth records before and after your Josef Rubaczky to find siblings. Then start looking for the parents' marriage beginning about 9 months prior to the birth of the first child. If you are lucky, the marriage record will list the ages and parents of the bride and groom and that will take you back another generation.

                If you are working forward to the U.S. records, what have you found so far in terms of census, naturalization and ship records? What exactly are you looking for in U.S. records?