Place of Birth on Ellis Island Manuscript MORAVKO

  • htcstech
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 29, 2012
      I may have found a relative who went to the US and is listed in the Ellis
      Island database.

      Sandor Moravko arrived in May 5 1909 from Joko in Hungary but of the Slovak
      race. His birthplace is listed in the last column on the 2nd page however I
      can't read it properly.
      If anyone would like to try I'll be greatful.
      Otherwise, is there another form of this manifest in plain text? It appears
      only the names page are transcribed.

      Here's the pop up link which may not work:
      http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup_weif_5a.asp?src=%2Fcgi%2Dbin%2Ftif2gif%2Eexe%3FT%3D%5C%5C%5C%5C192%2E168%2E100%2E11%5C%5CIMAGES%5C%5CT715%2D1257%5C%5CT715%2D12570504%2ETIF%26S%3D%2E5&pID=101586110250&name=Sandor%26nbsp%3BMoravko&doa=May+05%2C+1909&port=Bremen&line=0010

      Here are the details if the pop up doesn't work:
      Type in Moravko into the Ellis Island search.
      There's only 1.
      Sandor Moravko, 31 Male from Joko, Hungary

      Or click below:

      http://www.ellisisland.org/search/viewTextManifest.asp?pID=101586110250

      This will give you the text version of the passenger list of the
      relevant page 1. He's on Line 10
      Clicking on the link will bring you to the original manifest that you can
      enlarge - but shows page 2. Count down 10 lines on the last column to find
      the place of birth - Begins with an L maybe.

      Thanks

      Peter M.

    • hwedhlor
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 29, 2012
        Hi Peter,

        It appears to me that the City or Town entry on line 10 is
        identical to the one on line 3, which is Paloncsa.

        Hope this helps,

        John

        John Zimmerman
        Mesa, AZ

        On 11/29/2012 5:02 AM, htcstech wrote:

        > I may have found a relative who went to the US and is
        > listed in the Ellis
        > Island database.
        >
        > Sandor Moravko arrived in May 5 1909 from Joko in Hungary
        > but of the Slovak
        > race. His birthplace is listed in the last column on the
        > 2nd page however I
        > can't read it properly.
        > If anyone would like to try I'll be greatful.
        > Otherwise, is there another form of this manifest in plain
        > text? It appears
        > only the names page are transcribed.
        >
        > Here's the pop up link which may not work:
        > http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup_weif_5a.asp?src=%2Fcgi%2Dbin%2Ftif2gif%2Eexe%3FT%3D%5C%5C%5C%5C192%2E168%2E100%2E11%5C%5CIMAGES%5C%5CT715%2D1257%5C%5CT715%2D12570504%2ETIF%26S%3D%2E5&pID=101586110250&name=Sandor%26nbsp%3BMoravko&doa=May+05%2C+1909&port=Bremen&line=0010
        >
        > Here are the details if the pop up doesn't work:
        > Type in Moravko into the Ellis Island search.
        > There's only 1.
        > Sandor Moravko, 31 Male from Joko, Hungary
        >
        > Or click below:
        >
        > http://www.ellisisland.org/search/viewTextManifest.asp?pID=101586110250
        >
        > This will give you the text version of the passenger list
        > of the
        > relevant page 1. He's on Line 10
        > Clicking on the link will bring you to the original
        > manifest that you can
        > enlarge - but shows page 2. Count down 10 lines on the
        > last column to find
        > the place of birth - Begins with an L maybe.
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Peter M.

      • hwedhlor
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 29, 2012
          Peter,

          Now that I look at line 3 again it is more probably
          "Paloncso" rather than "Paloncsa".

          John Z

          On 11/29/2012 5:02 AM, htcstech wrote:

          > I may have found a relative who went to the US and is
          > listed in the Ellis
          > Island database.
          >
          > Sandor Moravko arrived in May 5 1909 from Joko in Hungary
          > but of the Slovak
          > race. His birthplace is listed in the last column on the
          > 2nd page however I
          > can't read it properly.
          > If anyone would like to try I'll be greatful.
          > Otherwise, is there another form of this manifest in plain
          > text? It appears
          > only the names page are transcribed.
          >
          > Here's the pop up link which may not work:
          > http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup_weif_5a.asp?src=%2Fcgi%2Dbin%2Ftif2gif%2Eexe%3FT%3D%5C%5C%5C%5C192%2E168%2E100%2E11%5C%5CIMAGES%5C%5CT715%2D1257%5C%5CT715%2D12570504%2ETIF%26S%3D%2E5&pID=101586110250&name=Sandor%26nbsp%3BMoravko&doa=May+05%2C+1909&port=Bremen&line=0010
          >
          > Here are the details if the pop up doesn't work:
          > Type in Moravko into the Ellis Island search.
          > There's only 1.
          > Sandor Moravko, 31 Male from Joko, Hungary
          >
          > Or click below:
          >
          > http://www.ellisisland.org/search/viewTextManifest.asp?pID=101586110250
          >
          > This will give you the text version of the passenger list
          > of the
          > relevant page 1. He's on Line 10
          > Clicking on the link will bring you to the original
          > manifest that you can
          > enlarge - but shows page 2. Count down 10 lines on the
          > last column to find
          > the place of birth - Begins with an L maybe.
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Peter M.

        • John
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 29, 2012
            >>> Sandor Moravko arrived in May 5 1909 from Joko . . . His birthplace is listed in the last column on the 2nd page however I
            can't read it properly.<<<

            Oszuszkó (aka Jókő-Oszuszkó és Korlátkő-Oszuszkó), Nyitra, Hungary
          • MGMojher
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 29, 2012
              OLD NAMES of PLAVNICA
              1773 Plavnicza, Plawnicza, 1786 Plawnicza, 1808 Plavnicza, 1863 Plavnic, 1873–1902 Plavnica, 1907–1913 Palonca, 1920 Plavnica, Plavonica, 1927– Plavnica

              I believe this is the village that you are looking for. It happens to be one of my ancestral villages. I have visited six times.

              OLD NAMES of DOBRA VODA
              1773 Jokő, Guttenstein, Dobra Woda, 1786 Dobrá Woda, Jó-Kő, 1808 Jókő, Jókeő, Dobrá Woda, 1863–1913 Jókő, 1920– Dobrá Voda

              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 29, 2012
                @ JohnqAdam,
                Can you re-write those village names without accents? I'm not using my
                normal laptop which has the correct UTF installed.
                Is that Korlatko?

                I think I'm getting closer. There are a few Jokos which was his place of
                residence when he left for Bremen, but his birthplace was different.
                Using Cisarik I got Oszuszkó and came up with different village names.
                I'm getting Prietrž and Osuské, so I still can't pinpoint the location.
                I'm guessing that you are referring to Osuske, which is between Jablonica
                and Prietrz.

                Then there is the Dobra Voda older name of Joko which is probably his
                former residence maybe.

                @MGMojher - Did you read 'Palonca' from the manifest? Is that how you see
                it?

                Thanks John Z! 'Pallocsha' or Palocsa > Plavec - far away from other
                suggestions, near the Polish border. Did you count down to the 10th entry?
                It looks like (to me) (L) or (F) Felso (means upper) then Ko --------
                So Felso Ko is what I get.
                The K word could be Korlatko but as the scribe overwrote a few letters, I
                can't make it out.

                Peter M.

                On 30 November 2012 06:09, John <johnqadam@...> wrote:

                > **

                > listed in the last column on the 2nd page however I
                >
                > can't read it properly.<<<
                >
                > Oszuszkó (aka Jókő-Oszuszkó és Korlátkő-Oszuszkó), Nyitra,
                > Hungary

              • htcstech
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 29, 2012
                  I had a thought that maybe the village is not in current day Slovakia as I
                  can't get a good match using letter shapes and Cisarik lists.

                  I get these 'Felso' prefixes of village names from Cisarik : None really
                  matches the letter shapes well. Felso is Upper and Also is Lower.

                  Felsokalnok<http://www.cisarik.com/0_Horny_Kalnik_Martin_ZI_Turocz_Turiec.html>
                  Felsokalosa<http://www.cisarik.com/0_Vysna_Kalosa_Rimavska_Sobota_BC_Gomor_Gemer.html>
                  Felso-Kalosa<http://www.cisarik.com/0_Vysna_Kalosa_Rimavska_Sobota_BC_Gomor_Gemer.html>
                  Felso-Kalossa<http://www.cisarik.com/0_Vysna_Kalosa_Rimavska_Sobota_BC_Gomor_Gemer.html>
                  Felsokamenec<http://www.cisarik.com/0_Horny_Kamenec_Prievidza_TC_Bars_Tekov.html>
                  Felso-Kamenecz<http://www.cisarik.com/0_Horny_Kamenec_Prievidza_TC_Bars_Tekov.html>
                  Felsokanya<http://www.cisarik.com/0_Sarisske_Jastrabie_Stara_Lubovna_PV_Saros_Saris.html>
                  Felsokap <http://www.cisarik.com/0_Horne_Kapince_Nitra_NI_Nyitra_Nitra.html>
                  Felso-Kap<http://www.cisarik.com/0_Horne_Kapince_Nitra_NI_Nyitra_Nitra.html>
                  Felso-Kapp<http://www.cisarik.com/0_Horne_Kapince_Nitra_NI_Nyitra_Nitra.html>
                  Felsokazmer<http://www.cisarik.com/0_Vysny_Kazimir_Vranov_nad_Toplou_PV_Zemplen_Zemplin.html>
                  Felso-Kelnek<http://www.cisarik.com/0_Horny_Kalnik_Martin_ZI_Turocz_Turiec.html>
                  Felsokelnik<http://www.cisarik.com/0_Horny_Kalnik_Martin_ZI_Turocz_Turiec.html>
                  Felso-Kelnik<http://www.cisarik.com/0_Horny_Kalnik_Martin_ZI_Turocz_Turiec.html>
                  Felsokemence<http://www.cisarik.com/0_Vysna_Kamenica_Kosice_okolie_KI_AbaujTorna_AbovTurna.html>
                  Felso-Kemencze<http://www.cisarik.com/0_Horny_Kamenec_Prievidza_TC_Bars_Tekov.html>
                  Felso-Kemencze<http://www.cisarik.com/0_Vysna_Kamenica_Kosice_okolie_KI_AbaujTorna_AbovTurna.html>
                  Felsokemenec<http://www.cisarik.com/0_Horny_Kamenec_Prievidza_TC_Bars_Tekov.html>
                  Felso-K-Lancz<http://www.cisarik.com/0_Vysny_Lanec_Kosice_okolie_KI_AbaujTorna_AbovTurna.html>
                  Felsokocseny <http://www.cisarik.com/0_Kucin_Bardejov_PV_Saros_Saris.html>
                  Felsokocskoc<http://www.cisarik.com/0_Horne_Kockovce_Puchov_TC_Trencsen_Trencin.html>
                  Felso-Kocskocz<http://www.cisarik.com/0_Horne_Kockovce_Puchov_TC_Trencsen_Trencin.html>
                  Felsokocsoc<http://www.cisarik.com/0_Horne_Kocovce_Nove_Mesto_nad_Vahom_TC_Trencsen_Trencin.html>
                  Felsokohany<http://www.cisarik.com/0_Kochanovce_Humenne_PV_Zemplen_Zemplin.html>
                  Felsokomarnik<http://www.cisarik.com/0_Vysny_Komarnik_Svidnik_PV_Saros_Saris.html>
                  Felso-Komarnik<http://www.cisarik.com/0_Vysny_Komarnik_Svidnik_PV_Saros_Saris.html>
                  Felsokomarnok<http://www.cisarik.com/0_Vysny_Komarnik_Svidnik_PV_Saros_Saris.html>
                  Felso-Komarnyik<http://www.cisarik.com/0_Vysny_Komarnik_Svidnik_PV_Saros_Saris.html>
                  Felsokomaroc <http://www.cisarik.com/0_Komarov_Bardejov_PV_Saros_Saris.html>
                  Felsokorompa<http://www.cisarik.com/0_Horna_Krupa_Trnava_TA_Pozsony_Bratislava.html>
                  Felso-Korompa<http://www.cisarik.com/0_Horna_Krupa_Trnava_TA_Pozsony_Bratislava.html>
                  Felsokoroskeny<http://www.cisarik.com/0_Horne_Krskany_Nitra_NI_Nyitra_Nitra.html>
                  Felso-Koroskeny<http://www.cisarik.com/0_Horne_Krskany_Nitra_NI_Nyitra_Nitra.html>
                  Felsokortvelyes<http://www.cisarik.com/0_Vysny_Hrusov_Humenne_PV_Zemplen_Zemplin.html>
                  Felso-Kortvelyes<http://www.cisarik.com/0_Vysny_Hrusov_Humenne_PV_Zemplen_Zemplin.html>
                  Felsokrucso<http://www.cisarik.com/0_Krucov_Stropkov_PV_Zemplen_Zemplin.html>
                  Felsokubin<http://www.cisarik.com/0_Vysny_Kubin_Dolny_Kubin_ZI_Arva_Orava.html>
                  Felso-Kubin<http://www.cisarik.com/0_Vysny_Kubin_Dolny_Kubin_ZI_Arva_Orava.html>
                  Felso-Kürtvelyes<http://www.cisarik.com/0_Vysny_Hrusov_Humenne_PV_Zemplen_Zemplin.html>

                  Considering there is no y or g or any other down letters in the middle and
                  theres 2 or 3 up letters like k etc, it could be:

                  koroskeny
                  kocskoc kocskocz
                  koroskeny
                  kortvelyes?
                  Korlatko or korlathko (not in the above list).

                  Koc~ villages:

                  *Kocelovce <http://www.cisarik.com/0_Kocelovce_Roznava_KI_Gomor_Gemer.html>*
                  Kochanoc<http://www.cisarik.com/0_Kochanovce_Trencin_TC_Trencsen_Trencin.html>
                  Kochanocz<http://www.cisarik.com/0_Kochanovce_Trencin_TC_Trencsen_Trencin.html>
                  *Kochanovce<http://www.cisarik.com/0_Kochanovce_Bardejov_PV_Saros_Saris.html>
                  **Kochanovce<http://www.cisarik.com/0_Kochanovce_Humenne_PV_Zemplen_Zemplin.html>
                  **Kochanovce<http://www.cisarik.com/0_Kochanovce_Trebisov_KI_Zemplen_Zemplin.html>
                  **Kochanovce<http://www.cisarik.com/0_Kochanovce_Trencin_TC_Trencsen_Trencin.html>
                  **Kochanovce <http://www.cisarik.com/0_Trnkov_Presov_PV_Saros_Saris.html>*
                  Kochanowce<http://www.cisarik.com/0_Kochanovce_Trencin_TC_Trencsen_Trencin.html>
                  Kochanowcze<http://www.cisarik.com/0_Kochanovce_Trencin_TC_Trencsen_Trencin.html>
                  *Kociha<http://www.cisarik.com/0_Kociha_Rimavska_Sobota_BC_Gomor_Gemer.html>
                  **Kocin <http://www.cisarik.com/0_Kocin_Piestany_TA_Nyitra_Nitra.html>**
                  Kocin-Lancar<http://www.cisarik.com/0_KocinLancar_Piestany_TA_Nyitra_Nitra.html>
                  *Kockowce<http://www.cisarik.com/0_Dolne_Kockovce_Puchov_TC_Trencsen_Trencin.html>
                  Kockowce<http://www.cisarik.com/0_Horne_Kockovce_Puchov_TC_Trencsen_Trencin.html>
                  *Kocovce<http://www.cisarik.com/0_Kocovce_Nove_Mesto_nad_Vahom_TC_Trencsen_Trencin.html>
                  *Kocschin <http://www.cisarik.com/0_Kocin_Piestany_TA_Nyitra_Nitra.html>
                  Kocschocz<http://www.cisarik.com/0_Dolne_Kocovce_Nove_Mesto_nad_Vahom_TC_Trencsen_Trencin.html>
                  Kocschocz<http://www.cisarik.com/0_Horne_Kocovce_Nove_Mesto_nad_Vahom_TC_Trencsen_Trencin.html>
                  Kocseny <http://www.cisarik.com/0_Kocin_Piestany_TA_Nyitra_Nitra.html>Kocsin<http://www.cisarik.com/0_Kocin_Piestany_TA_Nyitra_Nitra.html>
                  Kocsoc<http://www.cisarik.com/0_Kocovce_Nove_Mesto_nad_Vahom_TC_Trencsen_Trencin.html>
                  Kocsocz<http://www.cisarik.com/0_Dolne_Kocovce_Nove_Mesto_nad_Vahom_TC_Trencsen_Trencin.html>
                  Kocsocz<http://www.cisarik.com/0_Horne_Kocovce_Nove_Mesto_nad_Vahom_TC_Trencsen_Trencin.html>
                  Kocur <http://www.cisarik.com/0_Kocurany_Prievidza_TC_Nyitra_Nitra.html>*
                  Kocurany <http://www.cisarik.com/0_Kocurany_Prievidza_TC_Nyitra_Nitra.html>*
                  Kocurany <http://www.cisarik.com/0_Kocurany_Prievidza_TC_Nyitra_Nitra.html>
                  Kocuric <http://www.cisarik.com/0_Kocurice_Piestany_TA_Nyitra_Nitra.html>*
                  Kocurice <http://www.cisarik.com/0_Kocurany_Prievidza_TC_Nyitra_Nitra.html>*
                  **
                  *Kocurice <http://www.cisarik.com/0_Kocurice_Piestany_TA_Nyitra_Nitra.html>*
                  Kocuryce <http://www.cisarik.com/0_Kocurice_Piestany_TA_Nyitra_Nitra.html>
                  Kocyha <http://www.cisarik.com/0_Kociha_Rimavska_Sobota_BC_Gomor_Gemer.html>
                  Kocziha<http://www.cisarik.com/0_Kociha_Rimavska_Sobota_BC_Gomor_Gemer.html>
                  Koczowcze<http://www.cisarik.com/0_Dolne_Kocovce_Nove_Mesto_nad_Vahom_TC_Trencsen_Trencin.html>
                  Koczowcze<http://www.cisarik.com/0_Horne_Kocovce_Nove_Mesto_nad_Vahom_TC_Trencsen_Trencin.html>
                  Koczur <http://www.cisarik.com/0_Kocurany_Prievidza_TC_Nyitra_Nitra.html>
                  Koczuricz <http://www.cisarik.com/0_Kocurice_Piestany_TA_Nyitra_Nitra.html>
                  Koczuricze <http://www.cisarik.com/0_Kocurice_Piestany_TA_Nyitra_Nitra.html>

                  If the first part is Felso, then the examples above don't really convince
                  me.
                  I could be totally wrong. That wouldn't suprise me at all :(

                  Peter M.

                  On 30 November 2012 15:49, htcstech <htcstech@...> wrote:

                  > @ JohnqAdam,
                  > Can you re-write those village names without accents? I'm not using my
                  > normal laptop which has the correct UTF installed.
                  > Is that Korlatko?
                  >
                  > I think I'm getting closer. There are a few Jokos which was his place of
                  > residence when he left for Bremen, but his birthplace was different.
                  > Using Cisarik I got Oszuszkó and came up with different village names.
                  > I'm getting Prietrž and Osuské, so I still can't pinpoint the location.
                  > I'm guessing that you are referring to Osuske, which is between Jablonica
                  > and Prietrz.
                  >
                  > Then there is the Dobra Voda older name of Joko which is probably his
                  > former residence maybe.
                  >
                  > @MGMojher - Did you read 'Palonca' from the manifest? Is that how you see
                  > it?
                  >
                  > Thanks John Z! 'Pallocsha' or Palocsa > Plavec - far away from other
                  > suggestions, near the Polish border. Did you count down to the 10th entry?
                  > It looks like (to me) (L) or (F) Felso (means upper) then Ko --------
                  > So Felso Ko is what I get.
                  > The K word could be Korlatko but as the scribe overwrote a few letters, I
                  > can't make it out.
                  >
                  > Peter M.
                  >

                  > On 30 November 2012 06:09, John <johnqadam@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> **

                  >> is listed in the last column on the 2nd page however I
                  >>
                  >> can't read it properly.<<<
                  >>
                  >> Oszuszkó (aka Jókő-Oszuszkó és Korlátkő-Oszuszkó), Nyitra,
                  >> Hungary

                • MGMojher
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 29, 2012
                    I read it as “Paloncso”.
                    1907–1913 Palonca = Plavnica
                    1863–1913 Palocsa = Plavec
                    From these spellings it would appear to be a toss up what “Paloncso” represents. There is a “tie-breaker”, the Doktor family also from “Paloncso” above happen to relatives of mine and they are from Plavnica.

                    On 30 November 2012 06:09, John <mailto:johnqadam%40yahoo.com> wrote:

                    > **

                    > listed in the last column on the 2nd page however I
                    >
                    > can't read it properly.<<<
                    >
                    > Oszuszkó (aka Jókő-Oszuszkó és Korlátkő-Oszuszkó), Nyitra,
                    > Hungary

                  • htcstech
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 30, 2012
                      MEH! I just paid $35 because ancestry com had 'further information'.
                      I was hoping that the birthplace was written somewhere else....
                      Well I viewed the transcript and the birthplace was transcribed as LETRO
                      KOCENTERKY from the same document I've been staring at for the last 2 days
                      - Please tell me that's a Slovak village somewhere!

                      In the meantime, I captured a 400% cut of the word(s) and image manipulated
                      it with contrast and brightness.
                      If you do that, you can see pressure points, fade in and out to see other
                      letters etc.
                      In the end I had a list of possible variations like:
                      Konstrvrta
                      Kocenhorta
                      Kooshovfalu <- you get this if you experiment with the last few letters
                      Kocestorta ~ arfa ~ tarka~ etc etc etc
                      Nothing on fallingrain, Cisarik or Fuzzy Gazetteer got close, with or
                      without the 'Felso=Letro' prefix.

                      So I'm coming to the conclusion that the place disappeared or absorbed and
                      there is no surviving record of it.

                      What's also strange, is that there is no record of him in Slovakia or
                      Hungary - no marriage or birth, no death record, military, or US residency
                      at the moment. I'll try and look up his wife, Maria in Joko which
                      apparently is Nyitra RC as first port of call.

                      Thanks for your help everyone.

                      Peter M.

                      Transcript follows:

                      Name:Sándor MoravkóArrival Date:5 May 1909Birth Date:abt 1878 Birth
                      Location:Hungaria, HungaryBirth Location Other:letro kocenterkyAge:31Gender:
                      MaleEthnicity/ Nationality: SlovakianPort of Departure:BremenPort of
                      Arrival:New York, New YorkShip Name:Friedrich Der Grosse

                      On 30 November 2012 17:49, MGMojher <mgmojher@...> wrote:

                      > **
                      >

                      > I read it as “Paloncso”.
                      > 1907–1913 Palonca = Plavnica
                      > 1863–1913 Palocsa = Plavec
                      > From these spellings it would appear to be a toss up what “Paloncso”
                      > represents. There is a “tie-breaker”, the Doktor family also from
                      > “Paloncso” above happen to relatives of mine and they are from Plavnica.

                    • Sue Martin
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 30, 2012
                        There are two Jokos. One is now Osusko, the other is Dobra Voda. They are not far from each other.

                        Sue

                        On 30 November 2012 06:09, John <[mailto:johnqadam%40yahoo.com] johnqadam@...> wrote:

                        > **

                        > listed in the last column on the 2nd page however I
                        >
                        > can't read it properly.<<<
                        >
                        > Oszuszkó (aka Jókő-Oszuszkó és Korlátkő-Oszuszkó), Nyitra,
                        > Hungary

                      • John
                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 30, 2012
                          >>> JohnqAdam,
                          Can you re-write those village names without accents? I'm not using my
                          normal laptop which has the correct UTF installed. Is that Korlatko? <<<

                          Better yet, I will tell you HOW I got the relevant village names.

                          Go to the OLD LDS site and plug in your village name under PLACE SEARCH.

                          https://familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp

                          There you have it!
                        • John
                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 30, 2012
                            >>> So I'm coming to the conclusion that the place disappeared or absorbed and there is no surviving record of it. . . at the moment. I'll try and look up his wife, Maria in Joko which apparently is Nyitra RC . . . Place of Birth on Ellis Island Manuscript MORAVKO I'm getting Prietrž and Osuské, so I still can't pinpoint the location. . . I'm guessing that you are referring to Osuske, which is between Jablonica and Prietrz. <<<

                            The 1910 map at http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/nyitra.jpg is devoid of the necessary detail, south of Szenicz in the yellow area. However, Korlatko is shown there. The current Podrobny Auto Atlas shows it as Cerova. Further south along the same road is Prievaly (current name).

                            Thus area is very sparsely populated but the facts seem to fit.
                          • htcstech
                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 30, 2012
                              WooHoo! I found him and place of birth!

                              As Sandor MORAVKO appeared to disappear from records, I kept searching and
                              found an Alexander MORAFKO born at the same estimated year in the 1915
                              census, confirmed in the 1925 census and then in the 1919 Declaration of
                              Intention -Naturalization record - same height, eye colour etc as the ship
                              manifest.
                              Not only did he register for WW1 draft, but also WW2 as well.
                              He had 3 girls, no sons and so the name died with him. His wife was 10
                              years younger.

                              One of my earlier guesses was Konstrvrta which looked peculiarly like
                              Štvrtok or Thursday.
                              He considered himself as a Slovak and when asked for his place of birth, he
                              first said stvrtok, thought again and changed it to the Hungarian
                              Csutortok, but the actual village was called Vagcsutortok at the time.
                              So I bet it was overwritten because of this.
                              Štvrtok is a small village (pop 350) between Nove Mesto Nad Vahom and
                              Trencin along the main route. Nove Mesto Nad Vahom has had a concentration
                              of Moravkos over the years.
                              It's also a confirmation for me that the alteration of the V to an F is
                              common (my last name is Marafko from an earlier line of Moravkos) and
                              happened in Serbia, Slovakia and Hungary-Romania.

                              Probably was worth the $35 monthly Ancestry charge.

                              Peter M.

                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 1, 2012
                                CONGRATULATIONS! It's just great when you have a major breakthrough.

                                The online RC church records for Stvrtok are found at:

                                https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Ffamilysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2FMM17-9M1%3An1105661400%3Fcc%3D1554443

                                Slovakia, Church and Synagogue Books, 1592-1910Roman Catholic (Rímsko-katolícká cirkev)Nové Mesto nad Váhom Bosaca

                                Baptisms (Krsty) 1691-1740 (Inv. č. 140)Baptisms (Krsty) 1740-1789 (Inv. č. 141)Baptisms (Krsty) 1790-1842 (Inv. č. 142)Baptisms (Krsty) 1852-1884 (Inv. č. 144)Baptisms (Krsty) 1885-1889 (Inv. č. 145)Baptisms (Krsty) 1889-1895 (Inv. č. 145 (pokrač.))Baptisms, marriages, deaths (Krsty, manželstvá, úmrtia) 1843-1851 (Inv. č. 143)Confirmations (Birmovaní) 1788-1788 (Inv. č. 141)Confirmations (Birmovaní) 1800-1800 (Inv. č. 141)Confirmations (Birmovaní) 1829-1829 (Inv. č. 141)Confirmations (Birmovaní) 1841-1841 (Inv. č. 141)Confirmations (Birmovaní) 1855-1855 (Inv. č. 141)Confirmations (Birmovaní) 1860-1860 (Inv. č. 141)Converts (Konvertiti) 1759-1791 (Inv. č. 141)Converts (Konvertiti) 1792-1870 (Inv. č. 142)Deaths (Úmrtia) 1691-1718 (Inv. č. 140)Deaths (Úmrtia) 1722-1740 (Inv. č. 140)Deaths (Úmrtia) 1740-1769 (Inv. č. 141)Deaths (Úmrtia) 1768-1789 (Inv. č. 141 (pokrač.))Deaths (Úmrtia) 1790-1842 (Inv. č. 142)Deaths (Úmrtia) 1852-1879 (Inv. č. 147)Deaths (Úmrtia) 1880-1906 (Inv. č. 149)Deaths (Úmrtia) 1906-1910 (Inv. č. 149 (pokrač.))Marriages (Manželstvá) 1691-1740 (Inv. č. 140)Marriages (Manželstvá) 1740-1790 (Inv. č. 141)Marriages (Manželstvá) 1790-1842 (Inv. č. 146)Marriages (Manželstvá) 1852-1884 (Inv. č. 147)Marriages (Manželstvá) 1885-1896 (Inv. č. 148)
                              • htcstech
                                Message 15 of 16 , Dec 1, 2012
                                  Thanks very much for the link Johnqadam!
                                  After pouring over the records for Stvrtok, I found nothing.
                                  Not giving up, I used the Familysearch database in all different manners
                                  and ways and came up with (eventually) Sandor Moravek in a place called
                                  Plavecký Štvrtok.
                                  Turns out that even he did not remember his birthdate exactly. It was the
                                  18th of Dec 1876 instead of the 8th Dec 1877. The ship manifest was right.
                                  Also Plavecký Štvrtok was known as Detrekőcsütörtök which makes a huge
                                  amount of sense as it very closely resembles the handwritten place of birth
                                  in the ship's manifest in 1909 - Yet by 1919 when he applied for
                                  Naturalization, he shortened it to Csutortok and forgot his birthdate.
                                  Detrekőcsütörtök is very much closer to hometown as well.

                                  He was the illegitimate son of Carolina Moravek from Malaczka, Close to the
                                  Austrian border, along the way from Bratislava to Kuty. No wonder he spoke
                                  German.

                                  For me, the MORAVEK-MORAVKO-MORAFKO transformation answers certain
                                  questions that I asked of this group a while ago.
                                  Simply, MORAVEK appears to be the Czech (and possibly Slovak version) of
                                  the Moravko name. Somehow, his mother called herself or was named Moravek,
                                  yet he called himself Moravko. Why? Why not stay with the name Moravek???
                                  An answer to this could be that the family name was Moravko (possible from
                                  Moravke - a Hungarian diminuitive form for Moravia and the name of a
                                  tributary of the Morava river).

                                  I had hoped that there was no connection between Moravek and Moravko as far
                                  as genealogy is concerned. Now I am not so sure. It makes my work much
                                  harder.

                                  Peter M.

                                  On 1 December 2012 23:58, John <johnqadam@...> wrote:

                                  > **
                                  >

                                  > CONGRATULATIONS! It's just great when you have a major breakthrough.
                                  >
                                  > The online RC church records for Stvrtok are found at:
                                  >

                                  > https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Ffamilysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2FMM17-9M1%3An1105661400%3Fcc%3D1554443
                                  >
                                  > Slovakia, Church and Synagogue Books, 1592-1910Roman Catholic
                                  > (Rímsko-katolícká cirkev)Nové Mesto nad Váhom Bosaca
                                  >
                                  > Baptisms (Krsty) 1691-1740 (Inv. č. 140)Baptisms (Krsty) 1740-1789
                                  > (Inv. č. 141)Baptisms (Krsty) 1790-1842 (Inv. č. 142)Baptisms
                                  > (Krsty) 1852-1884 (Inv. č. 144)Baptisms (Krsty) 1885-1889 (Inv.
                                  > č. 145)Baptisms (Krsty) 1889-1895 (Inv. č. 145
                                  > (pokrač.))Baptisms, marriages, deaths (Krsty, manželstvá, úmrtia)
                                  > 1843-1851 (Inv. č. 143)Confirmations (Birmovaní) 1788-1788 (Inv.
                                  > č. 141)Confirmations (Birmovaní) 1800-1800 (Inv. č.
                                  > 141)Confirmations (Birmovaní) 1829-1829 (Inv. č. 141)Confirmations
                                  > (Birmovaní) 1841-1841 (Inv. č. 141)Confirmations (Birmovaní) 1855-1855
                                  > (Inv. č. 141)Confirmations (Birmovaní) 1860-1860 (Inv. č.
                                  > 141)Converts (Konvertiti) 1759-1791 (Inv. č. 141)Converts (Konvertiti)
                                  > 1792-1870 (Inv. č. 142)Deaths (Úmrtia) 1691-1718 (Inv. č.
                                  > 140)Deaths (Úmrtia) 1722-1740 (Inv. č. 140)Deaths (Úmrtia) 1740-1769
                                  > (Inv. č. 141)Deaths (Úmrtia) 1768-1789 (Inv. č. 141
                                  > (pokrač.))Deaths (Úmrtia) 1790-1842 (Inv. č. 142)Deaths (Úmrtia)
                                  > 1852-1879 (Inv. č. 147)Deaths (Úmrtia) 1880-1906 (Inv. č.
                                  > 149)Deaths (Úmrtia) 1906-1910 (Inv. č. 149 (pokrač.))Marriages
                                  > (Manželstvá) 1691-1740 (Inv. č. 140)Marriages (Manželstvá) 1740-1790
                                  > (Inv. č. 141)Marriages (Manželstvá) 1790-1842 (Inv. č.
                                  > 146)Marriages (Manželstvá) 1852-1884 (Inv. č. 147)Marriages
                                  > (Manželstvá) 1885-1896 (Inv. č. 148)

                                • patskanovo
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Dec 2, 2012
                                    Congradulations Peter!