[S-R] Re: Clarification with translation pls ~ MORAFKO

  • CurtB
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 28, 2012
      Peter,

      NO. Ve:zekeny is the name of the VILLAGE. The dots are there because he couldn't fit the word all on the same line. It was customary for them to put a dot, or two dots instead of the dash at the end of a line to divide words as we do today. Today we would write Ve-zekeny. As I mentioned, it is the present day village of Vozokany near Galanta.

      It is just the words ad dom. tegul. that describe her housing.

      Living quarters were not given out of sympathy. They had to be provided for people of servant status. If a family had only sons they might well take in a girl. If they had only daughters they might take a manservant for heavy agricultural work. They might take a person of servant status because they had a bit more land than average. But houses were generally small so servants might well sleep and generally live in an outbuilding or leanto or stable with animals for warmth. Perhaps not as awful as it might seem to you. This is also within my living memory in rural parts of the United States as well, through the 1940's and early 1950's.

      Curt B.

      > Yes, Thank you.
      > So 'Zekeny' would mean a form of sympathy - in other words, the living
      > quarters were given out of sympthay by the owners or is that stretching
      > things too far?
      >
      > Peter M.
      >

      > On 29 November 2012 16:16, CurtB <curt67boc@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > Peter M.
      > > This village is present day Vozokany just south of Galanta. The dots after
      > > the Ve just mean that the world is continued on the next line When the text
      > > refers to her as an ancilla, this is not necessarily a maid. Given this
      > > very small village, probably not. Housemaids were found mainly in families
      > > of considerable wealth in large towns or cities. Ancilla here just means
      > > low servant status, working for others with no home or residence of her own
      > > or family. She might be a animal caretaker, milking, chickens etc. or a
      > > field or garden hand, as well as cooking or working inside a house.
      > >
      > > The text under the town name throughout this register is the house number.
      > > On this entry there is none. It it just says ad dom[um] tegul. Which means
      > > she lives in a covered [and unnumbered] place with a thatch cover. Probably
      > > some small shed or outbulding of the people she works for, if indeed, she
      > > is working at all at the time.
      > >
      > > This seems quite a sad case. She is an unmarried servant having a child
      > > and living in a rather dismal place.
      > >
      > > Curt B.
      > >

      > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, htcstech <htcstech@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-14349-18797-39?cc=1554443
      > > > Last entry re: Julianna - Mother was Morafko Francisca from Nyek and she
      > > > was a maid.
      > > > The entry for location is what I don't get:
      > > > It says: Ve:Zekeny(Vezekeny is a village) but then says 'addom:tegul'
      > > > which as written could be 'addomtegul'.
      > > > Does anyone know what this means?
      > > >
      > > > Thanks
      > > >
      > > > Peter M.

    • htcstech
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 28, 2012
        I'm an idiot. Please forget the last msg.
        Peter M.

        On 29 November 2012 17:01, htcstech <htcstech@...> wrote:

        > Yes, Thank you.
        > So 'Zekeny' would mean a form of sympathy - in other words, the living
        > quarters were given out of sympthay by the owners or is that stretching
        > things too far?
        >
        > Peter M.
        >

        > On 29 November 2012 16:16, CurtB <curt67boc@...> wrote:
        >
        >> **
        >>

        >> Peter M.
        >> This village is present day Vozokany just south of Galanta. The dots
        >> after the Ve just mean that the world is continued on the next line When
        >> the text refers to her as an ancilla, this is not necessarily a maid. Given
        >> this very small village, probably not. Housemaids were found mainly in
        >> families of considerable wealth in large towns or cities. Ancilla here just
        >> means low servant status, working for others with no home or residence of
        >> her own or family. She might be a animal caretaker, milking, chickens etc.
        >> or a field or garden hand, as well as cooking or working inside a house.
        >>
        >> The text under the town name throughout this register is the house
        >> number. On this entry there is none. It it just says ad dom[um] tegul.
        >> Which means she lives in a covered [and unnumbered] place with a thatch
        >> cover. Probably some small shed or outbulding of the people she works for,
        >> if indeed, she is working at all at the time.
        >>
        >> This seems quite a sad case. She is an unmarried servant having a child
        >> and living in a rather dismal place.
        >>
        >> Curt B.
        >>

        >> --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, htcstech <htcstech@...> wrote:
        >> >
        >> > https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-14349-18797-39?cc=1554443
        >> > Last entry re: Julianna - Mother was Morafko Francisca from Nyek and she
        >> > was a maid.
        >> > The entry for location is what I don't get:
        >> > It says: Ve:Zekeny(Vezekeny is a village) but then says 'addom:tegul'
        >> > which as written could be 'addomtegul'.
        >> > Does anyone know what this means?
        >> >
        >> > Thanks
        >> >
        >> > Peter M.

      • htcstech
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 28, 2012
          Thank you very much for the clarification and insight Curt. I always
          appreciate your depth of explanation.

          Thanks

          Peter M.