Re: [S-R] Need Help Translation Slovakia 1869 Census Page

  • William C. Wormuth
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 22, 2012
      Nick,

      People traveled longer distances for many reasons.  Some were peddlers but there were necessities which led them long distances:  Doctors, religious pilgrimages, purchasing farming items,, etc.

      My Grandfather left for cabinet maker school in Vienna at age 11.  After 2 years, he was homesick and decided to walk home to Leopoldov, a distance of 97KM.

      Hradisko is only 6KM from Levoca Shrine, 30Km from Presov, etc.

      Z Bohom,

      Vilo

      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 22, 2012
        OK. I read the son's read/write as 'Jo' - meaning good.The entry must mean
        'ditto' instead - Apologies.

        Peter M.

      • Kathy Smith
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 24, 2012