Re: Researching my ancestors

  • Salena Moffat
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 13, 1999
      Andrea--Thank you so much for this information! It gives me more information
      than I had when I woke up, that's certain! I really appreciate this, and I'm
      going to see what I can track down. Naturally, when I lived in Washington
      (Bellingham) I didn't have much interest in genealogy. Now that I live half
      the country away I've developed a passion! LOL.

      Thanks again,

      Salena :)

      >From: "Andrea Vangor" <drav@...>
      >To: <SLOVAK-ROOTS@onelist.com>
      >Subject: Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Researching my ancestors
      >Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 00:42:02 -0700
      >
      >From: "Andrea Vangor" <drav@...>
      >
      >I can confirm that there was a large Slovak settlement in (nearby to me)
      >Tacoma, although few traces of it remain. There is, or was, a Slovak
      >Catholic parish, for example. I have never found a Slovak heritage society
      >there, and I can't imagine that one would exist without someone on the Web
      >knowing about it. Guess I'll have to start one. :-)
    • Porubcansky
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 16, 1999
        Hello Salena,

        As far as I know, nowadays there 3 RUDNO villages in Slovakia:

        NITRIANSKE RUDNO, district PRIEVIDZA
        RUDNO, district TURCIANSKE TEPLICE
        RUDNO NAD HRONOM, district ZARNOVICA

        I live in the nort-western Slovakia, and in the phone book
        of the TURCIANSKE TEPLICE district I see no DROTAR or
        STANKO names. But not far from there is the bigger town called
        MARTIN and here I see several STANKO names.

        Sincerely, Jozef Porubcansky from Slovakia

        ----------
        > Odes�latel: Salena Moffat <salenamoffat@...>
        > Komu: SLOVAK-ROOTS@onelist.com
        > P�edm�t: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Researching my ancestors
        > Datum: 12. srpna 1999 18:17
        >
        > From: "Salena Moffat" <salenamoffat@...>
        >
        > Hello everyone! I'm researching the DROTAR and STANKO surnames out of
        > Austria-Hungary. My grandfather was Joseph Albert DROTAR and my grandmother
        > was born Julie Ann STANKO but became DROTAR. They came to the US as children
        > in the early years of this century. Joseph was born Feb. 4, 1907 and died in
        > 1985, Julie was born Dec. 18, 1909 and died in 1986.
        >
        > They came from a village called RUDNO, and I have no idea where this village
        > is now. They came to Rock Springs, Wyoming, then to Colorado. I believe they
        > entered the country through a Washington State port, possibly in Tacoma.
        >
        > Both came from very large families with lots of siblings, brothers on my
        > grandfather's side, sisters on my grandmother's side.
        >
        > They spoke Slovak and English, and were Roman Catholics. The belief that my
        > grandfather at least entered the US through Tacoma comes from my mother, who
        > told me once that he'd always had a soft spot for Washington State because
        > of this.
        >
        > The village--I have little to go on here other than the name "Rudno,
        > Austria-Hungary." My mother told me it's written this way on my
        > grandmother's birth certificate, which I have yet to be able to convince her
        > to show me.
        >
        > They were married in either the late 20s or early 30s, and had 2 children.
        > Their oldest daughter died very young. Their younger daughter is my mother,
        > Mardell Rose DROTAR. They lived all of their married lives in either
        > Colorado or Wyoming (Arvada, CO/Ramah, CO/Denver, CO and Rock Springs, WY)
        >
        > Any and all help and advice will be appreciated. :)
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Salena Moffat :) email: salenamoffat@...

        > Show your ONElist SPIRIT!
        > http://www.onelist.com/store/tshirts.html
        > With a new ONElist SHIRT available through our website.

      • Salena Moffat
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 17, 1999
          Josef--Thank you so much! I wasn't aware that there were 3 Rudnos in
          Slovakia, and if there are no matches in one of the phone books then that
          narrows my search. Thanks for the help!

          Salena :)

        • Salena Moffat
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 17, 1999
            Joe--Thanks! I did know Drotar meant tinker, but I didn't know any of the
            rest. Thanks for the information!

            Salena :)

            >From: "Joe Armata" <JOE@...>
            >To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@onelist.com
            >Subject: Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Researching my ancestors
            >Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 13:14:39 -500
            >
            >From: "Joe Armata" <JOE@...>
            >
            > > Hello everyone! I'm researching the DROTAR and STANKO surnames out
            > > of
            >
            >In case you haven't already learned, a "drotar" is a tinker, which
            >was often an itinerant profession in Slovakia. They'd wander through
            >villages in their assigned territory, calling out for people to bring
            >out pots or pans or whatever that needed repair. Often their
            >journeys were pretty extensive, reaching way down into southern
            >Hungary or east into Transylvania. "Stanko" probably comes from the
            >first name Stanislav.
            >
            >Joe Armata
            >joe@...

            >ONElist announces "FRIENDS & FAMILY!"
            >For details, including our weekly drawing, go to
            >http://www.onelist.com/info/onereachsplash3.html

          • Joe Armata
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 17, 1999