Re: [S-R] Need Help Translation Slovakia 1869 Census Page

  • Nick Kerpchar
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 22, 2012
      Peter, thank you ever so much.  This opens up a whole new area to explore for me. Nick

      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 22, 2012
        Nick,
        Slight correction. The word under the literacy column, tudatlom - means the mother and son are both illiterate, cannot neither read or write. The son is siketnema, both deaf and dumb. The mother's birthplace is Hradisko.

        Curt B.

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Nick Kerpchar <ccknk@...> wrote:

        > Peter, thank you ever so much.  This opens up a whole new area to explore for me. Nick

      • William C. Wormuth
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 22, 2012
          I have a friend who has relatives in Hradisko and I visited them with him in 2006.

          Z Bohom,

          Vilo

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 22, 2012
            Thank you Curt.  What a challenge the son was up against given the time and the place.  And thank you for the translation on the mother's birthplace.  Now it will be back to the church records to research this family.  Thank you again.  Nick

            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 22, 2012
              Vilo,
              With current roads in Slovakia it is 71 Km from Hradisko to Circ.  That must have been quite a distance back in the 1800's unless there was a short cut through the mountains.  All this is very interesting and I look forward to picking up the trail and see where it leads.  Thank you for your comment.  Nick

              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 22, 2012
                Nick,

                People traveled longer distances for many reasons.  Some were peddlers but there were necessities which led them long distances:  Doctors, religious pilgrimages, purchasing farming items,, etc.

                My Grandfather left for cabinet maker school in Vienna at age 11.  After 2 years, he was homesick and decided to walk home to Leopoldov, a distance of 97KM.

                Hradisko is only 6KM from Levoca Shrine, 30Km from Presov, etc.

                Z Bohom,

                Vilo

                ________________________________
                With current roads in Slovakia it is 71 Km from Hradisko to Circ.  That must have been quite a distance back in the 1800's unless there was a short cut through the mountains.  All this is very interesting and I look forward to picking up the trail and see where it leads.  Thank you for your comment.  Nick

                Slight correction. The word under the literacy column, tudatlom - means the mother and son are both illiterate, cannot neither read or write. The son is siketnema, both deaf and dumb. The mother's birthplace is Hradisko.

                Curt B.

                --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, Nick Kerpchar <ccknk@...> wrote:

                > Peter, thank you ever so much.  This opens up a whole new area to explore for me. Nick

              • htcstech
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 22, 2012
                  OK. I read the son's read/write as 'Jo' - meaning good.The entry must mean
                  'ditto' instead - Apologies.

                  Peter M.

                • Kathy Smith
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 24, 2012