Re: [S-R] Need Help Translation Slovakia 1869 Census Page

  • htcstech
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 21, 2012
      https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-28474-12197-30?cc=1986782&wc=MMRC-CQX:1876508756

      Can't get all of it but:
      Column 3: Oz(vegy)? nVarga Janosni/Jankos or Fankos?
      Next: Woman
      Next: Born 1819
      Next: Greek Catholic
      Next: Widowed (Ozvegy)
      Next: lelkesnoi or could be telkesnoi - Lelkes means soulful or enthusiatic
      but probably is telkes - meaning with a lot of land.
      Next: Domestic duties - (hazifoglalas)
      Next: Szulohely - Place of Birth - well I don't know but it reads - ~first
      4 letters~ avisko - I've got no idea.
      Next: Read/Write - can't decipher this, but the word form kind of means
      'barely'.

      Her son Janos, is unmarried, unemployed, can read and write but suffers
      deafness.

      Peter M.

      On 22 November 2012 09:10, ccknk <ccknk@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > I need help translating the first entry of the following image from the
      > Slovakia Census of 1869 that appears in FamilySearch. Here is the route:
      > FamilySearch to Continental Europe to Slovakia to Slovakia Census 1869 to
      > Saros to Csircs to Image 75 to first entry "Varga." I know this is asking a
      > lot but could anyone translate that first entry and let me know what it
      > says. Thank you very much. Nick

    • htcstech
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 21, 2012
        Forgot to point out that Janosni is probably Janosne - meaning her husband
        was named Janos. She herself was named Jankos or Fankos.
        By 'lot of land' I mean a land lot - or parcel of land.
        Peter M.

        On 22 November 2012 14:23, htcstech <htcstech@...> wrote:

        > https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-28474-12197-30?cc=1986782&wc=MMRC-CQX:1876508756
        >
        > Can't get all of it but:
        > Column 3: Oz(vegy)? nVarga Janosni/Jankos or Fankos?
        > Next: Woman
        > Next: Born 1819
        > Next: Greek Catholic
        > Next: Widowed (Ozvegy)
        > Next: lelkesnoi or could be telkesnoi - Lelkes means soulful or
        > enthusiatic but probably is telkes - meaning with a lot of land.
        > Next: Domestic duties - (hazifoglalas)
        > Next: Szulohely - Place of Birth - well I don't know but it reads -
        > ~first 4 letters~ avisko - I've got no idea.
        > Next: Read/Write - can't decipher this, but the word form kind of means
        > 'barely'.
        >
        > Her son Janos, is unmarried, unemployed, can read and write but suffers
        > deafness.
        >
        > Peter M.
        >

        > On 22 November 2012 09:10, ccknk <ccknk@...> wrote:
        >
        >> **
        >>

        >> I need help translating the first entry of the following image from the
        >> Slovakia Census of 1869 that appears in FamilySearch. Here is the route:
        >> FamilySearch to Continental Europe to Slovakia to Slovakia Census 1869 to
        >> Saros to Csircs to Image 75 to first entry "Varga." I know this is asking a
        >> lot but could anyone translate that first entry and let me know what it
        >> says. Thank you very much. Nick

      • Nick Kerpchar
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 22, 2012
          Peter, thank you ever so much.  This opens up a whole new area to explore for me. Nick

          On 22 November 2012 14:23, htcstech <mailto:htcstech%40gmail.com> wrote:

          > https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-28474-12197-30?cc=1986782&wc=MMRC-CQX:1876508756
          >
          > Can't get all of it but:
          > Column 3: Oz(vegy)? nVarga Janosni/Jankos or Fankos?
          > Next: Woman
          > Next: Born 1819
          > Next: Greek Catholic
          > Next: Widowed (Ozvegy)
          > Next: lelkesnoi or could be telkesnoi - Lelkes means soulful or
          > enthusiatic but probably is telkes - meaning with a lot of land.
          > Next: Domestic duties - (hazifoglalas)
          > Next: Szulohely - Place of Birth - well I don't know but it reads -
          > ~first 4 letters~ avisko - I've got no idea.
          > Next: Read/Write - can't decipher this, but the word form kind of means
          > 'barely'.
          >
          > Her son Janos, is unmarried, unemployed, can read and write but suffers
          > deafness.
          >
          > Peter M.
          >

          > On 22 November 2012 09:10, ccknk <mailto:ccknk%40yahoo.com> wrote:
          >
          >> **
          >>

          >> I need help translating the first entry of the following image from the
          >> Slovakia Census of 1869 that appears in FamilySearch. Here is the route:
          >> FamilySearch to Continental Europe to Slovakia to Slovakia Census 1869 to
          >> Saros to Csircs to Image 75 to first entry "Varga." I know this is asking a
          >> lot but could anyone translate that first entry and let me know what it
          >> says. Thank you very much. Nick

        • CurtB
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 22, 2012
            Nick,
            Slight correction. The word under the literacy column, tudatlom - means the mother and son are both illiterate, cannot neither read or write. The son is siketnema, both deaf and dumb. The mother's birthplace is Hradisko.

            Curt B.

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Nick Kerpchar <ccknk@...> wrote:

            > Peter, thank you ever so much.  This opens up a whole new area to explore for me. Nick

          • William C. Wormuth
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 22, 2012
              I have a friend who has relatives in Hradisko and I visited them with him in 2006.

              Z Bohom,

              Vilo

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 22, 2012
                Thank you Curt.  What a challenge the son was up against given the time and the place.  And thank you for the translation on the mother's birthplace.  Now it will be back to the church records to research this family.  Thank you again.  Nick

                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 22, 2012
                    Nick,

                    People traveled longer distances for many reasons.  Some were peddlers but there were necessities which led them long distances:  Doctors, religious pilgrimages, purchasing farming items,, etc.

                    My Grandfather left for cabinet maker school in Vienna at age 11.  After 2 years, he was homesick and decided to walk home to Leopoldov, a distance of 97KM.

                    Hradisko is only 6KM from Levoca Shrine, 30Km from Presov, etc.

                    Z Bohom,

                    Vilo

                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 22, 2012
                      OK. I read the son's read/write as 'Jo' - meaning good.The entry must mean
                      'ditto' instead - Apologies.

                      Peter M.

                    • Kathy Smith
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 24, 2012