Need Help Translation Slovakia 1869 Census Page

  • ccknk
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 21, 2012
      I need help translating the first entry of the following image from the Slovakia Census of 1869 that appears in FamilySearch. Here is the route: FamilySearch to Continental Europe to Slovakia to Slovakia Census 1869 to Saros to Csircs to Image 75 to first entry "Varga." I know this is asking a lot but could anyone translate that first entry and let me know what it says. Thank you very much. Nick
    • htcstech
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 21, 2012
        https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-28474-12197-30?cc=1986782&wc=MMRC-CQX:1876508756

        Can't get all of it but:
        Column 3: Oz(vegy)? nVarga Janosni/Jankos or Fankos?
        Next: Woman
        Next: Born 1819
        Next: Greek Catholic
        Next: Widowed (Ozvegy)
        Next: lelkesnoi or could be telkesnoi - Lelkes means soulful or enthusiatic
        but probably is telkes - meaning with a lot of land.
        Next: Domestic duties - (hazifoglalas)
        Next: Szulohely - Place of Birth - well I don't know but it reads - ~first
        4 letters~ avisko - I've got no idea.
        Next: Read/Write - can't decipher this, but the word form kind of means
        'barely'.

        Her son Janos, is unmarried, unemployed, can read and write but suffers
        deafness.

        Peter M.

        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 21, 2012
          Forgot to point out that Janosni is probably Janosne - meaning her husband
          was named Janos. She herself was named Jankos or Fankos.
          By 'lot of land' I mean a land lot - or parcel of land.
          Peter M.

          On 22 November 2012 14:23, htcstech <htcstech@...> wrote:

          > https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-28474-12197-30?cc=1986782&wc=MMRC-CQX:1876508756
          >
          > Can't get all of it but:
          > Column 3: Oz(vegy)? nVarga Janosni/Jankos or Fankos?
          > Next: Woman
          > Next: Born 1819
          > Next: Greek Catholic
          > Next: Widowed (Ozvegy)
          > Next: lelkesnoi or could be telkesnoi - Lelkes means soulful or
          > enthusiatic but probably is telkes - meaning with a lot of land.
          > Next: Domestic duties - (hazifoglalas)
          > Next: Szulohely - Place of Birth - well I don't know but it reads -
          > ~first 4 letters~ avisko - I've got no idea.
          > Next: Read/Write - can't decipher this, but the word form kind of means
          > 'barely'.
          >
          > Her son Janos, is unmarried, unemployed, can read and write but suffers
          > deafness.
          >
          > Peter M.
          >

          > On 22 November 2012 09:10, ccknk <ccknk@...> wrote:
          >
          >> **
          >>

          >> I need help translating the first entry of the following image from the
          >> Slovakia Census of 1869 that appears in FamilySearch. Here is the route:
          >> FamilySearch to Continental Europe to Slovakia to Slovakia Census 1869 to
          >> Saros to Csircs to Image 75 to first entry "Varga." I know this is asking a
          >> lot but could anyone translate that first entry and let me know what it
          >> says. Thank you very much. Nick

        • Nick Kerpchar
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 22, 2012
            Peter, thank you ever so much.  This opens up a whole new area to explore for me. Nick

            On 22 November 2012 14:23, htcstech <mailto:htcstech%40gmail.com> wrote:

            > https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-28474-12197-30?cc=1986782&wc=MMRC-CQX:1876508756
            >
            > Can't get all of it but:
            > Column 3: Oz(vegy)? nVarga Janosni/Jankos or Fankos?
            > Next: Woman
            > Next: Born 1819
            > Next: Greek Catholic
            > Next: Widowed (Ozvegy)
            > Next: lelkesnoi or could be telkesnoi - Lelkes means soulful or
            > enthusiatic but probably is telkes - meaning with a lot of land.
            > Next: Domestic duties - (hazifoglalas)
            > Next: Szulohely - Place of Birth - well I don't know but it reads -
            > ~first 4 letters~ avisko - I've got no idea.
            > Next: Read/Write - can't decipher this, but the word form kind of means
            > 'barely'.
            >
            > Her son Janos, is unmarried, unemployed, can read and write but suffers
            > deafness.
            >
            > Peter M.
            >

            > On 22 November 2012 09:10, ccknk <mailto:ccknk%40yahoo.com> wrote:
            >
            >> **
            >>

            >> I need help translating the first entry of the following image from the
            >> Slovakia Census of 1869 that appears in FamilySearch. Here is the route:
            >> FamilySearch to Continental Europe to Slovakia to Slovakia Census 1869 to
            >> Saros to Csircs to Image 75 to first entry "Varga." I know this is asking a
            >> lot but could anyone translate that first entry and let me know what it
            >> says. Thank you very much. Nick

          • CurtB
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 22, 2012
              Nick,
              Slight correction. The word under the literacy column, tudatlom - means the mother and son are both illiterate, cannot neither read or write. The son is siketnema, both deaf and dumb. The mother's birthplace is Hradisko.

              Curt B.

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Nick Kerpchar <ccknk@...> wrote:

              > Peter, thank you ever so much.  This opens up a whole new area to explore for me. Nick

            • William C. Wormuth
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 22, 2012
                I have a friend who has relatives in Hradisko and I visited them with him in 2006.

                Z Bohom,

                Vilo

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 22, 2012
                  Thank you Curt.  What a challenge the son was up against given the time and the place.  And thank you for the translation on the mother's birthplace.  Now it will be back to the church records to research this family.  Thank you again.  Nick

                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 22, 2012
                    Vilo,
                    With current roads in Slovakia it is 71 Km from Hradisko to Circ.  That must have been quite a distance back in the 1800's unless there was a short cut through the mountains.  All this is very interesting and I look forward to picking up the trail and see where it leads.  Thank you for your comment.  Nick

                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 22, 2012
                      Nick,

                      People traveled longer distances for many reasons.  Some were peddlers but there were necessities which led them long distances:  Doctors, religious pilgrimages, purchasing farming items,, etc.

                      My Grandfather left for cabinet maker school in Vienna at age 11.  After 2 years, he was homesick and decided to walk home to Leopoldov, a distance of 97KM.

                      Hradisko is only 6KM from Levoca Shrine, 30Km from Presov, etc.

                      Z Bohom,

                      Vilo

                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 22, 2012
                        OK. I read the son's read/write as 'Jo' - meaning good.The entry must mean
                        'ditto' instead - Apologies.

                        Peter M.

                      • Kathy Smith
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 24, 2012