Re: [S-R] Re: translating names from latin to Slovak

  • William C. Wormuth
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 13, 2012
      I have responded directly because I had a chart prepared by Martin Votruba which is jpg.

      Z Bohom,

      Vilo

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 13, 2012
        Thank you Carl.

         Ironically your name wasn't on my list, but it's  one I've wondered about.

         Is the Slovak version Karol? Also is there a connection to the name Charles?I knew a Charles Kratky. When I found his naturalization papers he claimed his name to be Karol. I do know that some immigrants were confused on Anglo translations of their Slavic names.

           I 've seen "Carol" in the latin church records
        but not in my bloodline, so I've never had to deal with the translation. The name is in my extended tree, so I will one day be dealing with translating it.

         Thank you

        Larry

        Here is a link to a site that shows given names in different languages.  Many of the ones you asked about are there.  For example the English Christine is Kristina in Slovak.
        CK

        http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~scoconee/names.html

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, lkocik@... wrote:

        > hello
        >
        >  I have some given names from church records [latin] and their A nglo versions,  that I 'm trying to convert to Slovak    I realize there are web sites that do this, but I've found conflicting data.
        >
        >  I usually use a name as it appears in the record I'm tran scibing, but I'd like to footnote the Slovak version of the name.
        >
        >  Anywho, if anyone can tell me the Slovak versions of these names I would be grateful;
        >
        > Peter...Joanna [fem]...Ferdinand...Vincent...Mathias...Maria...Anna...Emeric...Anthony...V endelin...Christina...Frances[fem]...Albert...L ester...Gregory...William.
        >

        >  Also; about two surnames.....could anyone tell me which is more proper for Slovak...Jurena or Jurenya.
        >
        >  The other name is Vanek or Vanyek.
        >
        >  I understand the Magyar addition of "z" and "s" but is the addition of "y" legitimate Slovak?
        >

        >  Lastly while on this subject; is anyone familiar with "t" being sustituted for "c" in early 1800's church records.
        >
        >    I've seen multiple instances of  Kot zak for Koczak and Kotzich for Koczich in Gbely [Zahorie region]. it almost looks as if the name was written at first with the original  "c" and then someone put a line through the top of the "c"  [like a European 7] making in into a "t". In some cases it is a very distinct "t".  The strange thing is I've only seen this with the Koczak and Koczich names.
        >
        >  Could this have something to do with the magyar pronounciation of the hard "c' like "ts"?
        >

        >  I know this subject may be more suited for Slovak-World but I don't feel comfortable at that site anymore.
        >
        > Thank you
        >
        > Larry Kocik

      • Carl
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 14, 2012
          Yes, Carl or Karl is the German version of Charles. The Slovak version is usually written as Karol.