Fw: [S-R] SIBA-SCHEIBE

  • Pavol Kalavsky
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 11, 2012
      hi,

      if anybody needs any information about Siba near Bardejov just let me know. My mother was born there and part of my family lives there.

      Pavol

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, treimer@... wrote:

      I don't have a lot more on this village (besides Isidor Lasslob). But
      > I see that wikipedia also has Scheibe (with a b, not d).
      > http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bardejov_(Okres)
      >
      > Even though today's Slovak officialdom still tends not to mention the
      > German history of those settlements that had one, the town's website
      > seems to (I do not read Slovak, so can only guess from the mention of
      > Scheibe, which, by the way, would be pronounced like
      S^yba
      > dialectally), in the line "Nazov obce", and a few other names (Ficker,
      > Julienthal, etc)
      > http://siba.ocu.sk/historia.html
      >
      > Thomas

      Saris County south of

      Rychvald
      > > (Richwald) and Barfa (Bardejov) and North of Eperies (Presov).
      > > How and
      > > where do you find information like what it was called in the past
      > > and when
      > > it first shows up and the dates of name changes.  Thanks a ton.
      > >
      > > Paul Tomasko
      > >
      > > >From: "Bill Tarkulich" <bill.tarkulich@...>
      > > >To: <SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com>
      > > >Subject: RE: [S-R] SIBA-SCHEIBE
      > > >Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 18:49:36 -0400
      > > >
      > > >Are we talking about the same village? S'IBA.
      The one in Saros
      > > county had

      > > >population of 439 in 1914: 7 Magyar, 28 German, 403 Slovak.
      > > >It was only called Szekcsoalja from 1907-1913.
      > > >First mentioned n 1773, aw originally called Siba until 1786,
      > > then Schiba
      > > >until 1808 then Siba until 1907.  It went back to S'IBA in 1920.
      > > >
      > > >I don't see a SCHEIDE anywhere in my cross reference books
      > > (Matjan or Talma
      > > >Konyvkiado)
      > > >

      > > >Bill

      SIBA-SCHEIBE

      >The magyar article is a tad incomplete. According to Isidor Lasslob,
      > > >Deutsche Ortsnamen in der Slowakei, p. 45,
      > > Scheide/Siba/Szekcoalja was
      > > >originally a German village, and still called that in 1780, which is
      > > >also indicated by the Szek- (Saxon) in the name.
      > > >
      > > >Carpathian German records might use Scheibe, so you should be
      > > aware of
      > > >it. Not to confuse with another Scheibe (near Bistritz, ung. Sebo).
      > > >
      > > >Thomas

      from 1526-1540.  Here's a link to an  article about