Rusznak/ Bavolyar of Saros county question

  • Jami
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 8, 2012
      I would like your expert opinions on a confusing group of records I have come across.

      My gggrandmother was Barbara Rusznak. We believe we have located her baptismal record in Varhanovce in 1842.

      She married my gggrandfather Andrew Bavolyar of Somos. I believe he was baptized in 1840 in Varhanovce.

      Here is where it gets confusing. I can not find a marriage record for Andrew & Barbara, but they start having children in 1864 in Somos with baptisms in Varhanovce.

      I have found a marriage record for Stephanus Bavolyar (of Somos) & Barbara Rusznak (of Varhanovce) in Varhanovce in 1863. Is it possible that this was actually Andrew? I don't want to jump to an unrealistic conclusion, but I have been unable to locate a birth or death record for Stephanus Bavolyar, as well as any children he & Barbara might have had. The marriage between Stephanus & Barbara also shows them both being 24 years old, which doesn't match with the baptismal records I located.

      Is there some other records I might look for to clarify this information? Any help is appreciated.

      Thanks,
      Jami
    • MGMojher
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 8, 2012
        One record you might look at is the 1869 Census. If they were married in 1863 they might be in the census.
        Below is the 1869 Census Index results and the film ordering number and item.
        In the 1869 Census Index are listed these three Somos. Somos is now known as Drienov.
        Drienov PO/PV šariš.
        1773 Sómos, Soómos, Drinow, 1786 Schomosch, Drinow, 1808 Somos, Dřínow, Drýnow, 1863–1913 Somos, 1920 Drinov, 1927–1973 Drienov, 1973–1980 Drieňov, 1981– Drienov
        Somos Drienov Saros 2162312 Item 7
        Somos (folyt.) Drienov Saros 2162313 Item 1
        Somos-Ujfalu Drienovská Nová Ves Saros 2162313 Item 2

        Varhaňovce PO/PV šariš.
        1773 Vargony, Varhanowcze, 1786 Wargony, Warhanowce, 1808 Vargony, Warchaňowce, 1863–1902 Várgony, 1907–1913 Vargony, 1920 Varhaňovce, Varhanovce, 1927– Varhaňovce
        In 1869 Varhanovce was known as Vargony.
        In the 1869 Census Index:
        Várgony Varhanovce Saros 2162312 Item 2

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 12, 2012
          Has anyone else found any instances of slovak ancestors interchanging first names on Church baptism, marriage, death records, etc.? I found this in a couple of cases and just wonder if it was sometimes done for some reason.

          I have found them in the census as Andreas & Barbara with children born in the correct years.