Re: [S-R] Need help translating a birth record comment in Latin

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 2, 2012
      Google Translate/Latin = Saris (names of the county), Thono goes from legitimate.

      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 2, 2012
        Judy

         Sometime basic latin differs a little from "church" latin and conversational latin. Priests seemed to have unusual command of the language, sometimes using it to be secretive, as doctors do..

         it's hard too sometimes to translate each word then try  to put them in a context that makes sense.

         The word saros translates to mean burden, also the os prefix  = masculine form.

         The word thono translates to mean Breast plate or thorax...and of course legitimo has a root meaning legitimate or legal.

         So if this is connected with a death it could mean he died from problems of the throat, as a cancer maybe and that his birth was legimate. This is only my opinion.

         There are latin to English dictionaries online but they are tricky like I was saying because of the difference between true archaic latin and church/converstional latin.
        The word thono could refer to the chest cavity or maybe the heart and could be used to mean what is in someones heart [feelings]

         So judy. as usual instead of clearing up the issue, i've probaly muddied up the waters even more.

         If i can find more data on this I'll let you know.

        Larry

         I'm glad you were spared from the storm.

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 2, 2012
          Judy

           Looked at the record more closely...

           In the column for legitimate or non legitimate the heading has the word Thori....is this the same root as the word Thono [which I think is thoro]

           Also D aniel is noted as illigetimate in these columns so why does it say legitimo in the observation column.
           Maybe the suffix "o" has a meaning like the prefix "il" would be. Maybe too, he was subsequintly legitimized by some event or act.

           You asked a simple question, but there's a lot to consider here.

           My G bely records are much easier to understand.

           I'll bet you enjoy being difficult [lol]

          Larry

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 2, 2012
            Thanks Larry and Michael for your thoughts. I'm so accustomed to reading these birth records that I hadn't looked closely at the headings. The word "thoro" does appear with the legitimate/illegitimate headings - never seen that before. That heading and the use in the comment section leads me to believe the "thoro" meaning is something like "born as." I found the death record for the child and he only lived for 10 days. The same wording + an unintelligible word(s) are in the comment section of the death record too.

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, lkocik@... wrote:

            > Judy
            >
            >  Looked at the record more closely...
            >
            >  In the column for legitimate or non legitimate the heading has the word Thori....is this the same root as the word Thono [which I think is thoro]
            >
            >  Also D aniel is noted as illigetimate in these columns so why does it say legitimo in the observation column.
            >  Maybe the suffix "o" has a meaning like the prefix "il" would be. Maybe too, he was subsequintly legitimized by some event or act.
            >
            >  You asked a simple question, but there's a lot to consider here.
            >
            >  My G bely records are much easier to understand.
            >
            >  I'll bet you enjoy being difficult [lol]
            >
            > Larry

          • Joe Armata
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 2, 2012
              Saros is Saris county.
              E thoro illegitimo means from an unlawful bed, or illegitimate.

              Joe

              > I could use some help with translating the comment section on the
              > following record:
              >
              > https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-11689-52023-53?cc=1554443&wc=MMBR-Z2J:n1675412888
              >
              > Left side of the image, entry #11 for Nicholas, born December 16, 1861.
              >
              > Comment seems to read "Saros, e Thono it legitimo" May have something to
              > do with the legitimacy, but I cannot figure it out.
              >
              > Thanks
              > Judy

            • Judy
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 2, 2012
                Thank you Joe. I had tried Google Translate for "thoro" and it did say "bed", but that didn't seem to fit. With your explanation, it does make sense :)

              • lkocik@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 2, 2012
                  Judy

                   Sorry for the comment about you liking to be difficult.

                    When I saw your name in my email inbox, I didn't look closely and  I thought it was from a friend of mine.

                    This is an interesting thread though.

                  Larry