Slovak World

  • John
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2012
      Re the periodic reminders to take certain threads to Slovak World, it seems that Greg Kopchak is not approving new members or responding to emails about the site.

      Perhaps it needs someone to take over from Greg.
    • Ron
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2012
        For the many people who have joined us in the last years, Slovak World gave birth to this forum, Slovak Roots. As I remember it, Slovak World was started in 1996 by two fellows at the Slovak Forest Institute and remained there several years. Soon the forum was dominated by Slovak Americans eager to learn from one another and effectively built an internet community. When the Forest Service became overloaded and started to interfere with official forestry business, an internet collection of donations provided funds to buy a dedicated server at the Forest Service. Eventually the burden on the two dedicated Forest service workers who started the forum became too much, and Greg Kopchak was the first to establish the current Slovak World on the Yahoo net.

        On June 5, 1999, Maura Petzolt, a serious and no-nonsense genealogist, became dissatisfied with the Anything-Slovak chatter on Slovak World and established Slovak Roots, this group, as a serious, genealogy ONLY forum.(I know; she sharply stopped me when I deviated into closely related history!). She ran a tight ship and established a good forum. Eventually ill health or the fates stopped her participation and running of the forum, which drifted for some time with no one at the helm. Bill Tarkulich took the initiative to re-establish control and continuity of the Forum, and worked with Yahoo Groups for most of a year (it seems) to legitimize and establish the continuity we enjoy today.

        Today Slovak Roots operates with 3 volunteer moderators, assuring continuity if any one of us disappears. When that happens then there will be a call to find a new volunteer willing, able and trusted to continue the forum. A more immediate action will likely be a call for contributors to remove old and obsolete Files and Photos from our Groups website. We are currently at 97% of 100MB storage capacity in Files.

        To remove files you have posted, sign into Yahoo, and go to
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS/files/
        You will have rights to delete any of your old files. Suggested criteria: Is it personal, not of group interest? Is it years old?

        Ron M, Moderator
      • Nick Kerpchar
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 2, 2012
          Ron,
          This site is a treasure for eastern European descendants interested in researching their Slovak roots (and Slavic, Rusyn, and other Austro-Hungarian Empire roots).  Thank you, thank you, thank you.
          Nick
          P.S.  I wonder if there is any connection between Kopchak and Kerpcsar/Kerpchar?