Re: [S-R] Cleaning up Old Photos?

  • Nick
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 28, 2012
      >Brian, there are quite a few software applications that you can use
      >the repair old photos . Photoshop is one and windows 7 has a photo
      >editor. I scanned a physically damaged photo of two of my children
      >when they were little and repaired it.

      Give it a go.

      Regards
      Nick
    • htcstech
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 28, 2012
        Just to be clear, is the scanned picture printed or is it still in digital
        format?
        If it is in digital format, then what type?
        Sometimes a scanned TFF or BMP file can be improved on by saving it as a
        JPG file. The reason why is that the psycho-visual artifacts (I'm not
        making that up) by converting it to a high quality jpg makes the resultant
        image more pleasing to the eye. This has been tested thoroughly on scanning
        original photos of the 1900-1920s with excellent results.
        If it's a print of a scanned photo, then nothing much can be done except
        photoshop restoration (eg rips and folds, dirt and stains where they use a
        cloning technique) if that is the issue. Facial detail etc cannot be
        improved on.
        I would suggest trying to get the original photos - or ask for a HQ scan of
        the most important prints and making a large format prints of that.

        Peter M.

        On 29 October 2012 13:32, Elaine Powell <epowell@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > If there is a professional photographic store that sells cameras and
        > develops film, they usually can provide this service or recommend another
        > business. Typically, the service involves scanning the old photo, making
        > corrections as needed, and providing you with a negative. Check the yellow
        > pages for photographic services.
        >
        > Elaine
        >

        > On Oct 28, 2012, at 8:22 PM, "icehowler15734" <icehowler15734@...>
        > wrote:
        >
        > > Hi all
        > >
        > > I have some really old photos of my family in hungary, I they seem to
        > have been a scaned picture of a picture and not sure how/if they can be
        > cleaned up any? Anyone know of anyway to try and fix these photos?
        > >
        > > Thankyou
        > > Brian

      • icehowler15734
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 28, 2012
          Ok I will try some of them, I dont have the origenal, the person I got it from had a scaned copy so what I have it all that is avalable. I found a program called photoscape it was free from download.com I will paly with it some and see what I come up with.
          Thankyou
          Brian
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Nick <nickh@...> wrote:

          > >Brian, there are quite a few software applications that you can use
          > >the repair old photos . Photoshop is one and windows 7 has a photo
          > >editor. I scanned a physically damaged photo of two of my children
          > >when they were little and repaired it.
          >
          > Give it a go.
          >

          > Regards
          > Nick

        • Ron
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 28, 2012
            Brian,

            Step No. 1 is to title the best electronic copy with "Original" or whatever makes sense to you, and to ONLY work on copies of that original. That way you can make as many experiments and mistakes as you must in pursuit of that perfect photo.

            Ron

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "icehowler15734" <icehowler15734@...> wrote:

            > Ok I will try some of them, I dont have the origenal, the person I got it from had a scaned copy so what I have it all that is avalable. I found a program called photoscape it was free from download.com I will paly with it some and see what I come up with.
            > Thankyou
            > Brian
            > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Nick <nickh@> wrote:
            > >

            > > >Brian, there are quite a few software applications that you can use
            > > >the repair old photos . Photoshop is one and windows 7 has a photo
            > > >editor. I scanned a physically damaged photo of two of my children
            > > >when they were little and repaired it.
            > >
            > > Give it a go.
            > >

            > > Regards
            > > Nick

          • Nick Kerpchar
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 29, 2012
              Brian,
              I have restored many old photos.  The information given to you sounds appropriate, especially saving a copy of the original.
              If you are able to e-mail me a copy of one of the photos I will evaluate it and advise you of what I believe is the easiest way
              to restore for optimal quality ... there is no charge for this.
              Nick