Re: [S-R] Cleaning up Old Photos?

  • Elaine Powell
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 28 7:32 PM
      If there is a professional photographic store that sells cameras and develops film, they usually can provide this service or recommend another business. Typically, the service involves scanning the old photo, making corrections as needed, and providing you with a negative. Check the yellow pages for photographic services.

      Elaine

      On Oct 28, 2012, at 8:22 PM, "icehowler15734" <icehowler15734@...> wrote:

      > Hi all
      >
      > I have some really old photos of my family in hungary, I they seem to have been a scaned picture of a picture and not sure how/if they can be cleaned up any? Anyone know of anyway to try and fix these photos?
      >
      > Thankyou
      > Brian

    • MGMojher
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 28 7:36 PM
        Brian,
        I have cleaned up old photographs using Photoshop. It can be time consuming depending on what you need to do. I use a “clone” program feature. You copy an area next to the thing you want to get rid and then copy the clone over the problem area and it disappears. I have been able to get rid of a lot of “noise” this way. There are also scanning programs that will remove the noise.

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 28 7:44 PM
          >Brian, there are quite a few software applications that you can use
          >the repair old photos . Photoshop is one and windows 7 has a photo
          >editor. I scanned a physically damaged photo of two of my children
          >when they were little and repaired it.

          Give it a go.

          Regards
          Nick
        • htcstech
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 28 7:52 PM
            Just to be clear, is the scanned picture printed or is it still in digital
            format?
            If it is in digital format, then what type?
            Sometimes a scanned TFF or BMP file can be improved on by saving it as a
            JPG file. The reason why is that the psycho-visual artifacts (I'm not
            making that up) by converting it to a high quality jpg makes the resultant
            image more pleasing to the eye. This has been tested thoroughly on scanning
            original photos of the 1900-1920s with excellent results.
            If it's a print of a scanned photo, then nothing much can be done except
            photoshop restoration (eg rips and folds, dirt and stains where they use a
            cloning technique) if that is the issue. Facial detail etc cannot be
            improved on.
            I would suggest trying to get the original photos - or ask for a HQ scan of
            the most important prints and making a large format prints of that.

            Peter M.

            On 29 October 2012 13:32, Elaine Powell <epowell@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > If there is a professional photographic store that sells cameras and
            > develops film, they usually can provide this service or recommend another
            > business. Typically, the service involves scanning the old photo, making
            > corrections as needed, and providing you with a negative. Check the yellow
            > pages for photographic services.
            >
            > Elaine
            >

            > On Oct 28, 2012, at 8:22 PM, "icehowler15734" <icehowler15734@...>
            > wrote:
            >
            > > Hi all
            > >
            > > I have some really old photos of my family in hungary, I they seem to
            > have been a scaned picture of a picture and not sure how/if they can be
            > cleaned up any? Anyone know of anyway to try and fix these photos?
            > >
            > > Thankyou
            > > Brian

          • icehowler15734
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 28 8:32 PM
              Ok I will try some of them, I dont have the origenal, the person I got it from had a scaned copy so what I have it all that is avalable. I found a program called photoscape it was free from download.com I will paly with it some and see what I come up with.
              Thankyou
              Brian
              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Nick <nickh@...> wrote:

              > >Brian, there are quite a few software applications that you can use
              > >the repair old photos . Photoshop is one and windows 7 has a photo
              > >editor. I scanned a physically damaged photo of two of my children
              > >when they were little and repaired it.
              >
              > Give it a go.
              >

              > Regards
              > Nick

            • Ron
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 28 11:54 PM
                Brian,

                Step No. 1 is to title the best electronic copy with "Original" or whatever makes sense to you, and to ONLY work on copies of that original. That way you can make as many experiments and mistakes as you must in pursuit of that perfect photo.

                Ron

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "icehowler15734" <icehowler15734@...> wrote:

                > Ok I will try some of them, I dont have the origenal, the person I got it from had a scaned copy so what I have it all that is avalable. I found a program called photoscape it was free from download.com I will paly with it some and see what I come up with.
                > Thankyou
                > Brian
                > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Nick <nickh@> wrote:
                > >

                > > >Brian, there are quite a few software applications that you can use
                > > >the repair old photos . Photoshop is one and windows 7 has a photo
                > > >editor. I scanned a physically damaged photo of two of my children
                > > >when they were little and repaired it.
                > >
                > > Give it a go.
                > >

                > > Regards
                > > Nick

              • Nick Kerpchar
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 29 5:22 AM
                  Brian,
                  I have restored many old photos.  The information given to you sounds appropriate, especially saving a copy of the original.
                  If you are able to e-mail me a copy of one of the photos I will evaluate it and advise you of what I believe is the easiest way
                  to restore for optimal quality ... there is no charge for this.
                  Nick