Quick Introduction

  • jerseygirl1967
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 28, 2012
      Hello everyone!

      I am Mary Pauline Mahaydik, and I am an on-again / off-again family history research currently working on my Father's side of the family.

      From LUBINA, I am researching the name Machajdik. From what little I have been told, my Great Grandfather's first name was Adam, settled in PA. Earlier this year, using ancestry.com and Ellis Island records, I do see the name pop up, but...there were different comings and goings with different dates, and I just ended up pushing everything aside.

      Hopefully, in the very near future, I will be pulling out my research again, and putting together a post of what information I do have. Maybe I get some pointers as to where I can head from that point.

      Hoping everyone stays safe in the weird weather areas!
      Sincerely,
      Mary Pauline Mahaydik
      West Milford, NJ
    • John
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 28, 2012
        >>> From LUBINA, I am researching the name Machajdik. From what little I have been told, my Great Grandfather's first name was Adam, settled in PA. <<<

        What approx year of birth? The records are indexed and available online.
      • John
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 28, 2012
          >>> From LUBINA, I am researching the name Machajdik. From what little I have been told, my Great Grandfather's first name was Adam,<<<

          A lot of your family history from 1790 onward is probably covered in the 1869 Hungarian Census for Lubina 203.

          https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1961-28478-3176-21?cc=1986782&wc=MMRC-CLS:1849269815

          It's a good start!
        • MGMojher
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 28, 2012
            Mary,
            Lubina has had a very consistant spelling through it history. It is in okres/district Nova Mesto nad Vahom and kraj/region Trencin.
            Lubina NM/TC nitr.
            1773, 1786, 1808, 1863–1907 Lubina, 1913 Lobonya, 1920 Ľubina, 1927– Lubina

            The Slovak Census of 1995 had in Lubina the surname MACHAJDÍK 8× and MACHAJDÍKOVÁ 6×, 8 males and 6 females.
            The online telephone directory had two listings:
            a.. Machajdík Ivan Hrnčiarové 597 , Lubina
            a.. Machajdík Jaroslav Lubina 353 , Lubina

            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 28, 2012
              Name

              Residence

              Age

              Born*

              Arrived

              Passenger
              Record

              Text
              Manifest

              Scanned
              Manifest

              Anno-
              tations

              Ship
              Image

              1 Machajdik, Adam Lubina, Austria 31 1876 1907 view view view view view
              2 Machajdik, Adam Lubina, Hungary 26 1882 1908 view view view view view
              3 Machajdik, Adam Lubina, Hungary 27 1885 1912 view view view view view
              4 Machajdik, Adam Lubina, Czechoslovakia 44 1877 1921 view view view view view

              Mary,
              There are only these Adam Machajdik listing on Ellis Island. It is not unusual for family history to be incorrect about the exact arrival date. You do have to come up with a birth year in order to know which one of these Adams is yours.

              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 28, 2012
                >>>I am Mary Pauline Mahaydik, and I am an on-again / off-again family history research currently working on my Father's side of the family.<<<

                Have you acquired the Pennsylvania 22 Oct 1911 birth record information of Charles MAHAYDIK to determine the names of his parents?
              • MGMojher
                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 28, 2012
                  1920 United States Federal Census about Charles Maryhadik
                  Name: Charles Maryhadik
                  [Charles Mahaydik]
                  [Charles Mayhadik]
                  [Charles Mayhadik??]
                  Age: 8
                  Birth Year: abt 1912
                  Birthplace: Pennsylvania
                  Home in 1920: Coaldale, Schuylkill, Pennsylvania
                  Race: White
                  Gender: Male
                  Relation to Head of House: Son
                  Marital Status: Single
                  Father's Name: Adarn Maryhadik
                  Father's Birthplace: Slovakia
                  Mother's name: Katie Maryhadik
                  Mother's Birthplace: Slovakia
                  Neighbors: View others on page
                  Household Members: Name Age
                  Adarn Maryhadik 37
                  Katie Maryhadik 36
                  Annie Maryhadik 12
                  Nellie Maryhadik 9
                  Charles Maryhadik 8
                  John Maryhadik 6

                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 28, 2012
                    >>> From LUBINA, I am researching the name Machajdik. . . my Great Grandfather's first name was Adam, settled in PA. <<<

                    Birth of Adam MACHAJDIK 18 Nov 1882 found in following online church record.

                    Father Jan Machajdik; mother Katerina Kedrovic; AV; Lubina 203.

                    https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-159391-322255-74?cc=1554443&wc=MMBR-6Q5:357394004

                    Slovakia, Church and Synagogue Books, 1592-1910Evangelical (Evanjelícká cirkev)Nové Mesto nad Váhom Lubina Baptisms (Krsty) 1877-1895 (Inv. č. 1314)Image 77 of 244

                    With that birth record and the 1869 Hungarian Census info for Lubina 203, you have your Machajdik family scoped out back to 1790.
                  • John
                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 28, 2012
                      >>> From LUBINA, I am researching the name Machajdik. <<<

                      Marriage of Adam Machajdik to Katerina Miko was 28 January 1908 and is seen at:

                      https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-159391-393131-42?cc=1554443&wc=MMBR-674:1630681841

                      Slovakia, Church and Synagogue Books, 1592-1910Evangelical (Evanjelícká cirkev)Nové Mesto nad Váhom LubinaMarriages (Manželstvá) 1868-1910 (Inv. č. 1316)Image 244 of 256
                    • Laura
                      Message 10 of 19 , Oct 30, 2012
                        Do you have a link to the searchable census? I followed the link below but I'm guessing you searched and found a specific entry. I couldn't figure out how to back up to the search site. It sounds like a fantastic resource.

                        Thanks you for your help!
                        Laura

                        Message 11 of 19 , Oct 30, 2012
                          The 1869 Hungarian Census is not searchable. I had the house number from the church records.

                          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Laura" <laura@...> wrote:

                          > Do you have a link to the searchable census? I followed the link below but I'm guessing you searched and found a specific entry. I couldn't figure out how to back up to the search site. It sounds like a fantastic resource.
                          >
                          > Thanks you for your help!
                          > Laura

                          > >...... A lot of your family history from 1790 onward is probably covered in the 1869 Hungarian Census for Lubina 203.
                          > >
                          > > https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1961-28478-3176-21?cc=1986782&wc=MMRC-CLS:1849269815

                        • William C. Wormuth
                          Message 12 of 19 , Oct 30, 2012
                            I have been asked to find Birth records for a man from Kuty and his wife from Brodske, Zahorie Slovakia,  Records on LDS don't show into the 1900's

                            Does anyone have a suggestion?

                            Z Bohom,
                            Vilo

                            ________________________________

                              Message 14 of 19 , Oct 30, 2012
                                The records are in the civic registry office. I use the services of local cousins to acquire that type of info.

                              • lkocik@comcast.net
                                Message 15 of 19 , Oct 30, 2012
                                  Vilo

                                   Send me an email with the names your looking for, maybe I can help.

                                  Larry

                                  Do you have a link to the searchable census?  I followed the link below but I'm guessing you searched and found a specific entry.  I couldn't figure out how to back up to the search site.  It sounds like a fantastic resource.

                                  Thanks you for your help!
                                  Laura

                                  >...... A lot of your family history from 1790 onward is probably covered in the 1869 Hungarian Census for Lubina 203.
                                  >
                                  > https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1961-28478-3176-21?cc=1986782&wc=MMRC-CLS:1849269815

                                • helene cincebeaux
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Oct 31, 2012
                                    Helping a friend who has Huska and Misik roots in Orava and Liptov.

                                    iN 1898 Gustav Huska son of Jozef Huska and Evy Misik are noted as mestanov nem.lupcianskych - poct. ml. (Know this place is now Partizanska Lupca and it sounds like they were town residents)

                                    can anyone tell me what poct. mil. means

                                    What is odd is he is 28 and evangelical and the bride is 32 and Roman Catholic - her name is Eva Misik but she is the daughter of Adam Misik and Maria Zvada of Liptovska Ondrasova.

                                    The witnesses are interesting too - one seems to be a county offical and the other is an Adam Misik who was a vystupily straznik - (could this mean he is learning to be a guard?)

                                    Both have cv or maybe ev after their occupation - does this indicate evangelical or something else?

                                    thanks
                                    helene
                                  • lacoros@gmail.com
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Oct 31, 2012
                                      Mestanov Nemecko Lupcianskych - the parents are inhabitans of Nemecka Lupca - now Partizanska Lupca.

                                      Poct. ml. is poctivy mladenec the meaning is he was not maried yet.

                                      Vystupili (when this is the correct reading) could mean he was a guard. It is from the word vystupit. I have no dictionary now and my english ...

                                      Ladislav

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Nov 1, 2012
                                        Thanks Ladislav - this is great!

                                        helene

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Nov 7, 2012
                                          Dear Larry,

                                          Sorry to be so late but I just came back from Pitt where I attended the fest.

                                          I am looking for the marriage record for Michal Z~ilka, from Kuty  and Maria Spevak from Brodske.  also the matricula for Jozef Zilka born in Kuty January 17, 1900.

                                          Thanks for your help.

                                          Z Bohom,

                                          Vilo