MIKLISH surname location

  • Judy
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 26, 2012
      I don't have much to go on with this one, so I'm really exploring anything I can possibly think of for this person who identified their nationality as Slovak and their country of origin as Austria.

      Does the surname MIKLISH sound like it could be an original surname? I have found only one passenger list with this name, spelled exactly as it is, so I was wondering if the spelling used in America was really an Americanized version of something else. This one passenger list has a small chance of being his, but even if it is, it is a 1892 list and all that is identified as place of origin is Austria.

      Would someone who has access to the information that shows the prevalence of a surname in the different villages, check to see if this surname shows up and if so, where.

      Thanks for any help.
    • John
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 26, 2012
        The Cisarik site gives three villages for the surname Miklic.
        Miklic site:www.cisarik.com

        WHERE should we be looking?

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Judy" <hogelj@...> wrote:

        > I don't have much to go on with this one, so I'm really exploring anything I can possibly think of for this person who identified their nationality as Slovak and their country of origin as Austria.
        >
        > Does the surname MIKLISH sound like it could be an original surname? I have found only one passenger list with this name, spelled exactly as it is, so I was wondering if the spelling used in America was really an Americanized version of something else. This one passenger list has a small chance of being his, but even if it is, it is a 1892 list and all that is identified as place of origin is Austria.
        >
        > Would someone who has access to the information that shows the prevalence of a surname in the different villages, check to see if this surname shows up and if so, where.
        >
        > Thanks for any help.

      • John
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 26, 2012
          Over 200 MIKLI on Ellis Island using the Morse front end.

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Judy" <hogelj@...> wrote:

          > I don't have much to go on with this one, so I'm really exploring anything I can possibly think of for this person who identified their nationality as Slovak and their country of origin as Austria.
          >
          > Does the surname MIKLISH sound like it could be an original surname? I have found only one passenger list with this name, spelled exactly as it is, so I was wondering if the spelling used in America was really an Americanized version of something else. This one passenger list has a small chance of being his, but even if it is, it is a 1892 list and all that is identified as place of origin is Austria.
          >
          > Would someone who has access to the information that shows the prevalence of a surname in the different villages, check to see if this surname shows up and if so, where.
          >
          > Thanks for any help.

        • Judy
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 26, 2012
            Thanks John for your responses.

            I'm trying to help out a friend find something on this person and she does not have much to go on. Haven't been able to locate a passenger list for sure and haven't been able to locate any naturalization records. He had a son Peter in 1892. Records for the whole family around the turn of the century have been hard to locate via Ancestry and FamilySearch.

            Known:
            Nicholas MIKLISH
            born: Dec 19, 1861 in Austria
            died: March 29 1940, Salem Township, Westmoreland, PA
            family stories say he immigrated in: 1892
            religion: Greek Catholic
            occupation in US: miner

            As per your suggestions, I checked out the hits for MIKLI on Morse, but none looks like him. My best passenger list possibility so far is found at
            http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?rank=1&new=1&MSAV=1&msT=1&gss=angs-g&gsfn=Anton&gsfn_x=XO&gsln=Miklish&gsln_x=XO&msbdy=1861&msbpn__ftp=Austria&cpxt=1&catBucket=rp&uidh=my5&cp=12&pcat=ROOT_CATEGORY&h=8325832&recoff=6+7&db=nypl&indiv=1

            The surname, approximate arrival date and approximate birth year fit, but the given name does not. However, this persons given name is Anton and Anthony is used as a middle name for his grandson and great-grandson. A stretch, I know.

            The villages suggested by Cisarik are in the eastern park of current Slovakia, so that gives a possible general area.

            My next step will be to locate the church records for those villages and see if I can find him in the birth records.

            Thanks again for your help.

            > Over 200 MIKLI on Ellis Island using the Morse front end.
            >
            > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Judy" <hogelj@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I don't have much to go on with this one, so I'm really exploring anything I can possibly think of for this person who identified their nationality as Slovak and their country of origin as Austria.
            > >
            > > Does the surname MIKLISH sound like it could be an original surname? I have found only one passenger list with this name, spelled exactly as it is, so I was wondering if the spelling used in America was really an Americanized version of something else. This one passenger list has a small chance of being his, but even if it is, it is a 1892 list and all that is identified as place of origin is Austria.
            > >
            > > Would someone who has access to the information that shows the prevalence of a surname in the different villages, check to see if this surname shows up and if so, where.
            > >
            > > Thanks for any help.

          • John
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 26, 2012
              >>> Known:
              > Nicholas MIKLISH
              > born: Dec 19, 1861 in Austria
              > died: March 29 1940, Salem Township, Westmoreland, PA
              > family stories say he immigrated in: 1892
              > religion: Greek Catholic
              > occupation in US: miner
              <<<

              I checked out the manifest for Nikola MIKLICS and saw a wife, Maria MIKLICS in Ribnik. The current Podrobny Auto Atlas shows 4 instances of Rybnik. Cisarik shows two instances.

              Cisarik shows the surnames Miskovicova Miskovicsova in Rybnik north of Levice and east of Tlmace.

              However, there no GC church records in the entire area. The RC records are shown at LDS:

              Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages, deaths, confirmations, and conversions for Rybník, Slovakia; formerly Garamszõlõs (aka. Garamszõllõs, Garamszõllõsi, Garam-Sõlõsch, Szõllõs), Bars, Hungary; and Rybník (a.k.a. Ribnik), Levice, Slovensko, Czechoslovakia.
            • John
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 26, 2012
                >>> Known:
                > > Nicholas MIKLISH
                > > born: Dec 19, 1861 in Austria
                > > died: March 29 1940, Salem Township, Westmoreland, PA
                > > family stories say he immigrated in: 1892
                > > religion: Greek Catholic
                > > occupation in US: miner
                > <<<
                >
                > I checked out the manifest for Nikola MIKLICS and saw a wife, Maria MIKLICS in Ribnik. The current Podrobny Auto Atlas shows 4 instances of Rybnik. Cisarik shows two instances.
                >
                > Cisarik shows the surnames Miskovicova Miskovicsova in Rybnik north of Levice and east of Tlmace.
                >
                > However, there no GC church records in the entire area. The RC records are online at LDS:

                https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Ffamilysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2FMMBR-88H%3An924390512%3Fcc%3D1554443

                I did not see Nicholas on page 20/317 births.
              • Judy
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 26, 2012
                  Thanks so much John for your continued help.

                  I saw Nikols MIKLICS on the Morse hits and thought for sure I had him until I looked at the birth year of 1880. My guy was born in 1861.

                  Looked thru the records for Stropkov and Nizna Sebastova.

                  I found a long shot in Stropkov - #11 Nicolaus, born Dec 16, 1861, different surname, but it was an illigitimate birth. Record doesn't indicate a later change to legitimate. Besides, there is that little +, which I'm pretty sure indicated the child died.
                  https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-11689-52023-53?cc=1554443&wc=MMBR-Z2J:n1675412888

                  Nothing at Nizna Sebastova.

                  I cann't seem to find Roznava/ Haèava,Ko¹ice-okolie, Slovakia.

                  I can work my way through the records once I find them, but I have trouble getting to them jsut from the village name.