RE: [S-R] I am trying to determine were in Slovakia my friend's Great Grandfather was born

  • Tony DI NOBILE
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 26, 2012
      I'm trying to figure that out Mike....There very well may be a family connection.

      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 26, 2012
        My guess is that it's Turcok (accent over the c) in Gemer county in Slovakia.

        Sue

        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 26, 2012
          Thank You Sue !

          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 26, 2012
            My father came to Canada at the age of 6. He was born Feb 5 1926 in the village of Lubenik. He father was Pavel Belan, and his mother was Mary Stanko Belan. I know Pavel had a brother but did not know who he was. Recently I have discovered a family extension of Hamar. I’m not exactly sure of the lineage, I am communicating with them to get more details. The town you mention is just north west of the mine processing plant in Lubenik. According to what I found, that was the town where my family attended church. The specific religion when they came to Windsor, Ontario, Canada was Lutheran, but I’m not sure if that was the Lutheran church in Turcsok .

            Email me at mikebelan1@... and we can compare notes. It sure sounds like we have some people in common.

            Thanks

            Mike

            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 26, 2012
              Be sure to get the petition for citizenship for Martin Belan. It gives the town of birth and the date of his marriage in that town. Turcok, married there on Sep 1 1912. Immigrated on 4 Dec. 1912 aboard the Kaiserin Auguste Victoria, port of New York, and departed from Hamburg

              His children are listed as Edith, William, Irene and Martin.

              Curt B.

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Tony" <joethemonkey420@...> wrote:

              > Martin Belan
              >
              > United States Census, 1940
              >
              > birth: 1893 Slovakia
              > residence: 1940 West Pike Run Township,​ Washington,​ Pennsylvania,​ United States
              >
              > spouse: Genthed Belan
              > children: William Belan,​ Irean Belan...
              >

              > I am also looking for information on the parents of Martin Belan.
              >

              > Thank You !

            • Tony DI NOBILE
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 26, 2012
                Thank You Curt !....That information is a Big Help.