I am trying to determine were in Slovakia my friend's Great Grandfather was born

  • Tony
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 25, 2012
      Martin Belan

      United States Census, 1940

      birth: 1893 Slovakia
      residence: 1940 West Pike Run Township,​ Washington,​ Pennsylvania,​ United States

      spouse: Genthed Belan
      children: William Belan,​ Irean Belan...

      I am also looking for information on the parents of Martin Belan.

      Thank You !
    • John
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 26, 2012
        Here's my best guess.

        Ellis Island listing:
        Belan, Marton Turcevnla, Hungary 18 1894 1912

        Cisarik listing:
        OLD NAMES of the village(town):
        1773 Turcsok, Turczok, 1786 Turcschok, 1808 Turcsok, Turček, 1863–1913 Turcsok, 1920– Turčok

        This is a very small village in south central Slovakia.

        LDS has Roman Catholic and Evangelical parish registers of baptisms, marriages and deaths for Rakos, Slovakia, formerly Rakos, Gomor, Hungary. These are online.

        I would consider the following Evangelical birth record from the adjacent village of Rakos.

        https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-22651-11230-80?cc=1554443&wc=MMBR-68V:n1581466674

        Slovakia, Church and Synagogue Books, 1592-1910Evangelical (Evanjelícká cirkev) RožňavaSirkBaptisms, marriages, deat...elsvtá, úmrtia) 1787-1896 Image 362 of 465

        There is a strong likelihood that his wife was from the same area but a maiden name would be required.

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Tony" <joethemonkey420@...> wrote:

        > Martin Belan
        >
        > United States Census, 1940
        >
        > birth: 1893 Slovakia
        > residence: 1940 West Pike Run Township,​ Washington,​ Pennsylvania,​ United States
        >
        > spouse: Genthed Belan
        > children: William Belan,​ Irean Belan...
        >

        > I am also looking for information on the parents of Martin Belan.
        >

        > Thank You !

      • Mike Belan
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 26, 2012
          Where in Slovakia do they come from. My relatives come from the area of
          Lubenik, just south of Revuca. Any possible connection?

          Mike Belan

          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 26, 2012
            I am taking a wild guess in suggesting the following Ellis Island listing is the wife. Apologies for transcription errors.

            Creto, Genter Zswrk, Hungary 16 1897 1913

            If this is the right person, publishes birth records run out by the time of her birth.

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Tony" <joethemonkey420@...> wrote:

            > Martin Belan
            >
            > United States Census, 1940
            >
            > birth: 1893 Slovakia
            > residence: 1940 West Pike Run Township,​ Washington,​ Pennsylvania,​ United States
            >
            > spouse: Genthed Belan
            > children: William Belan,​ Irean Belan...
            >

            > I am also looking for information on the parents of Martin Belan.
            >

            > Thank You !

          • Tony DI NOBILE
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 26, 2012
              Thanks John....I figured the ship's manifest listing  for a home town was misspelled , I also have see listings showing his year of birth being 1892 & 1893....Genthed Belan's maiden name was Varga....Regards.

              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 26, 2012
                I'm trying to figure that out Mike....There very well may be a family connection.

                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 26, 2012
                  My guess is that it's Turcok (accent over the c) in Gemer county in Slovakia.

                  Sue

                  [https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-22651-11230-80?cc=1554443&wc=MMBR-68V:n1581466674] https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-22651-11230-80?cc=1554443&wc=MMBR-68V:n1581466674

                  --- In [mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com] SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Tony" <joethemonkey420@...> wrote:

                  > Martin Belan
                  >
                  > United States Census, 1940
                  >
                  > birth: 1893 Slovakia
                  > residence: 1940 West Pike Run Township,​ Washington,​ Pennsylvania,​ United States
                  >
                  > spouse: Genthed Belan
                  > children: William Belan,​ Irean Belan...
                  >

                  > I am also looking for information on the parents of Martin Belan.
                  >

                  > Thank You !

                • Tony DI NOBILE
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 26, 2012
                    Thank You Sue !

                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 26, 2012
                      My father came to Canada at the age of 6. He was born Feb 5 1926 in the village of Lubenik. He father was Pavel Belan, and his mother was Mary Stanko Belan. I know Pavel had a brother but did not know who he was. Recently I have discovered a family extension of Hamar. I’m not exactly sure of the lineage, I am communicating with them to get more details. The town you mention is just north west of the mine processing plant in Lubenik. According to what I found, that was the town where my family attended church. The specific religion when they came to Windsor, Ontario, Canada was Lutheran, but I’m not sure if that was the Lutheran church in Turcsok .

                      Email me at mikebelan1@... and we can compare notes. It sure sounds like we have some people in common.

                      Thanks

                      Mike

                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 26, 2012
                        Be sure to get the petition for citizenship for Martin Belan. It gives the town of birth and the date of his marriage in that town. Turcok, married there on Sep 1 1912. Immigrated on 4 Dec. 1912 aboard the Kaiserin Auguste Victoria, port of New York, and departed from Hamburg

                        His children are listed as Edith, William, Irene and Martin.

                        Curt B.

                        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Tony" <joethemonkey420@...> wrote:

                        > Martin Belan
                        >
                        > United States Census, 1940
                        >
                        > birth: 1893 Slovakia
                        > residence: 1940 West Pike Run Township,​ Washington,​ Pennsylvania,​ United States
                        >
                        > spouse: Genthed Belan
                        > children: William Belan,​ Irean Belan...
                        >

                        > I am also looking for information on the parents of Martin Belan.
                        >

                        > Thank You !

                      • Tony DI NOBILE
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 26, 2012
                          Thank You Curt !....That information is a Big Help.