Audio Recordings?

  • htcstech
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 16, 2012
      Hello All,

      I'm just free-thinking here and I'd like opinions and experiences if
      possible about audio recordings of relatives and family friends in hometown
      Slovakia.
      I've been struggling to finish 'the book' on my researches into my father's
      line, but everytime I get what I consider the final draft, new information
      pops up. It's not annoying at all, but I had always intended to hand
      deliver finished copies to relatives I've never met in person.
      My deadline is in May 2013 (I already missed a previous deadline this May)
      when I will be travelling there. Yet I suspect that I'll find a lot more
      genealogical info that should have gone in the book.
      So in that regard, I'm happy to delay deadlines to include more info.

      Relying on memory, photos and notes is not good enough for me and I had the
      thought of taking an audio recorder so I can later transcribe stories and
      other info.
      The plus side of doing this is that I would have 'sound bites' that I can
      review later. The downside is that it may alienate some or make them
      hesitant in opening up.

      These audio recorders are small (cigarette lighter size) and can interface
      with transcription software like Dragon Naturally Speaking.

      What are your thoughts? Has anyone tried this before?

      Thanks

      Peter M.

    • MGMojher
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 16, 2012
        Peter,
        A few observations from the experience of having taken six trips to Slovakia.
        The only time I thought an audio recorder could be useful was on one to one conversations. For me this would be with the use of a translator. The problem with Slovak is the country was covered by 40 dialects. Those dialects survive most in the villages. They can even be a difficulty at times for the translators. Where they would need to ask for a clarification. If the Dragon Naturally Speaking is suppose to transcribe English is it capable of handling accents? Your translator may not be understood by the program.
        The other issue is that you do need the persons permission to be recorded. Remember with the older generation in Slovakia who were under the Soviet era government were under constant fear of being caught saying something that could cause them trouble. My Mother was visiting and started singing an old Slovak anthem. Instantly people jumped up to close doors and windows. So this old generation even if they give you permission may not speak as freely knowing they were being recorded.
        I found that the best stories was in a setting that was filled with family. Unfortunately, where there can be multiple speakers at one time a translator is under a lot of pressure. I’m sure it can overload your recorder or any recorder. I told my translator in such a situation with so many people present to give me what I called a “Reader’s Digest Translation.” Give me the essence of the conversations that don’t provide any vital information. This system seems to have worked well.
        Your desire to learn more about your family history in Slovakia may be very limited. I was the first of my family to return to the ancestral village in 100 years. So I was wanting to “flesh out” the “bones” of my genealogy research. I soon learned very few Slovaks know anything about genealogy. For them genealogy is limited to those family members they have meet. So if you are lucky someone knew their grandparents, very few knew their great-grandparents. Life expectancy was relatively short. Few families have any records about their families. Those records they do have are often business documents like land deeds and the like.
        I hope you have a wonderful time in Slovakia. May is a beautiful time of the year. My first trip was in May.
        Michael Mojher

[...]

      • William C. Wormuth
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 16, 2012
          I have taken offense that some participants have pictured Slovakia as a Backward, peasant filled country living in the early 1900's.

          Yes there are 28 dialects in Slovakia and yes they are spoken in the towns, villages and general areas:  BUT the majority of these people have studied the Slovak language in schools ad are able to speak the language fluently.  They do preserve the dialects as a cultural thing and for this I have respect.

          You should be able to converse with all in Slovak and in these times, younger people in LOCAL schools are studying English, German, etc.  I have visited Slovakia, 28 times since 1971 and have yet to travel on a dirt road to get to my destination.

          Slovakia is a MODERN country, filled with people who yearn to improve it.

          Peter, you are correct that on the whole our people know little about family trees.  I was lucky enough to connect with my grandmother's niece and nephew an their children.  However, in the past 2 years, I have received several requests for help in finding Slovaks relatives here and their histories.  Like here, younger people are becoming interested in Genealogy.  They are beginning to realize that our culture is dying as a result of modern advances and are also making efforts within the towns to preserve it.

          This dissertation is made so that people can learn that they can find info in Slovakia and on line, using Slovak, English,German or Other languages, in -person, on-line , by-telephone or snail-mail.

          Keep trying , you can succeed!

          This message is NOT personally directed to anyone, only generally.

          S Panem Bohom,

          Vilo

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 16, 2012
            Michael, I can identify a bit with some of your comments. Thank you. The
            typical comment I've heard my mum retell after a recent visit was "Oh
            there are lots of Marafkos in the town, but only a few of them are
            relatives." which struck me as an odd thing to say as ALL the Marafko's in
            the town ARE relatives :) In fact half the population are relatives with
            different family names.
            I had my mum place a short advert on noticeboards with my email address for
            anyone to contact me about the genealogy and in 6 months I've had no leads
            from it.
            It goes to show that in my case (and probably many others) 'Relatives'
            equate to those individuals in their collective memories, however when my
            mum started to press the issue(s), more and more stories came from
            different peoples from all walks of life. She couldn't follow some of them
            up as she was bound by certain factions and loyalties of her host. A
            shopkeeper mentioned that she was a Marafko but that's where it ended.,The
            priest introduced my mum after a Mass to the congregation and she was
            approached by a few 'relatives' as well but nothing came of it because she
            was dissuaded to visit.
            I fear that I'll have my work cut out for me - especially post 1914, post
            Trianon and Benes Decree which had a huge impact on my family.
            Ironically, the problem is that it is easier to deal with the dead.
            From the getgo in the mid 1700's my family were servants and estate
            managers of the Esterhazy family. Every now and then, there are mentions of
            guards, overseers, strong ties to the church, local council administration
            and so on. Even to this day, the core family is rural-rich. Good for them!
            But I think it has caused some angst with others...... and somehow none of
            them (and I mean no Marafko) was on a Benes Decree list.

            I don't think I'll be that concerned over transcription errors. That a moot
            point anyway.If I go ahead then at least I'll be able to relisten and
            revise.

            Peter M.

          • William C. Wormuth
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 16, 2012
              In my town, Kuty, Kdo to sedi na hajsle v Kutoch su Bratrance.

              ________________________________
[...]
              From the getgo in the mid 1700's my family were servants and estate
> [...]

              > Translation.” Give me the essence of the conversations that don’t provide
              > any vital information. This system seems to have worked well.
              > Your desire to learn more about your family history in Slovakia may be
              > very limited. I was the first of my family to return to the ancestral
              > village in 100 years. So I was wanting to “flesh out” the “bones” of my
              > genealogy research. I soon learned very few Slovaks know anything about
              > genealogy. For them genealogy is limited to those family members they have
              > meet. So if you are lucky someone knew their grandparents, very few knew
              > their great-grandparents. Life expectancy was relatively short. Few
              > families have any records about their families. Those records they do have
              > are often business documents like land deeds and the like.
              > I hope you have a wonderful time in Slovakia. May is a beautiful time of

            • htcstech
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 16, 2012
                I live and learn Vilo.
                There is much in what you say. Old Hungary was the breadbasket of Europe,
                especially it's beef production for many centuries. The sophisticates who
                live in the cities still look down on the rural folk as yokels and
                traditionalists however. Happens in the States as well as here in
                Australia. Nothing new.
                I do have to remind myself sometimes that Europe has it's own lifestyles
                and the old Communist block countries (including East Germany) have had 30
                or so years to make advancements which we see today.
                However I should point out that some Hungarians take great delight to
                travel to Romania (for example) and take photos of squalid tenement houses,
                1 star hotel rooms and crappy home built cars and feel that they are rich
                in comparison, when in truth they too are struggling themselves.
                I take my hat of to the Slovaks though, as they have made the best out of
                dire circumstances. I am particularly proud of their government's policy on
                historical documents that allow us to work on genealogy. It's a very
                enlightened approach and works well in preserving their heritage.
                I also understand why there is a reluctance for airconditioning (which is
                the norm here in Australia btw - almost every house/building and new school
                has it), but I don't understand the flyscreen issues :(

                Peter M.

              • htcstech
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 16, 2012
                  That is so true Vilo. I will remember that and tell them.

                  Peter M.

                • Nick Kerpchar
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 17, 2012
                    Hi Peter,
                    I have read your post and the replies with interest and thought I would add my thoughts.

                    Some individuals that live/lived under "police-state" conditions are cautious about being
                    recorded/photographed for fear that they will become a target of interest to the regime for
                    whatever reason ... even if they have done nothing wrong.  This is not exclusive to Eastern
                    European countries.  It is happening even now in the Middle East, South America and some
                    Asian countries.  One never knows where a voice recorder or photos may end up so people
                    are cautious.  However, that does not mean everyone in such places will hesitate to participate
                    in recording family histories.

                    I have traveled extensively around the world and used a voice recorder to record the spoken
                    word as well as music in natural surroundings.  I found that if I gain trust, did not try to hide
                    using a recorder, explained why I would like to record "the story" or music, and did not try to
                    force someone to participate, most people usually would agree and actually become more
                    relaxed as they got into telling their story versus worrying about being recorded.  Oh yes, and
                    I learned not to stick a microphone or recorder in someone's face ... read the instructions and
                    practice getting good results by putting the recorder on a table or holding it in your hand (palm
                    up) so that it is in plain sight but not the focus of attention.  The less you have to fiddle with
                    the recorder the less people will focus on it.  And the less people focus on it the more they will
                    talk with it on.

                    I would definitely take the voice recorder.  When someone is willing to be recorded you will be
                    happy you have it.  I use a MP3/WMA 2GB record and play digital voice recorder.  It uses 2 AAA
                    alkaline batteries and gives about 40-hours of use on a set of batteries.  I especially like this
                    one as it has voice activation and some sensitivity features.  It is smaller than a pack of cigarettes;
                    thank goodness for the case with strap as the recorder can easily slide out of a shirt pocket.  And
                    it has a USB cable to hook up to a computer for downloading.

                    I have also used a small digital camcorder to capture video as well as using it as a voice recorder.
                    When I use it as a voice recorder with someone that definitely does not want to be videoed, then
                    I simply put the lens cap on it or otherwise obstruct the lens while leaving the mic unobstructed.

                    Take the recorder and have a safe and successful trip.  Nick

                    ________________________________
[...]
                    From the getgo in the mid 1700's my family were servants and estate

                    On 17 October 2012 13:12, MGMojher <mailto:mgmojher%40verizon.net> wrote:

                    > **
                    >

                    > Peter,
                    > A few observations from the experience of having taken six trips to
                    > Slovakia.
                    > The only time I thought an audio recorder could be useful was on one to
                    > one conversations. For me this would be with the use of a translator. The
                    > problem with Slovak is the country was covered by 40 dialects. Those
                    > dialects survive most in the villages. They can even be a difficulty at
                    > times for the translators. Where they would need to ask for a
                    > clarification. If the Dragon Naturally Speaking is suppose to transcribe
                    > English is it capable of handling accents? Your translator may not be
                    > understood by the program.
                    > The other issue is that you do need the persons permission to be recorded.
                    > Remember with the older generation in Slovakia who were under the Soviet
                    > era government were under constant fear of being caught saying something
                    > that could cause them trouble. My Mother was visiting and started singing
                    > an old Slovak anthem. Instantly people jumped up to close doors and
                    > windows. So this old generation even if they give you permission may not
                    > speak as freely knowing they were being recorded.
                    > I found that the best stories was in a setting that was filled with
                    > family. Unfortunately, where there can be multiple speakers at one time a
                    > translator is under a lot of pressure. I’m sure it can overload your
                    > recorder or any recorder. I told my translator in such a situation with so
                    > many people present to give me what I called a “Reader’s Digest
                    > Translation.” Give me the essence of the conversations that don’t provide
                    > any vital information. This system seems to have worked well.
                    > Your desire to learn more about your family history in Slovakia may be
                    > very limited. I was the first of my family to return to the ancestral
                    > village in 100 years. So I was wanting to “flesh out” the “bones” of my
                    > genealogy research. I soon learned very few Slovaks know anything about
                    > genealogy. For them genealogy is limited to those family members they have
                    > meet. So if you are lucky someone knew their grandparents, very few knew
                    > their great-grandparents. Life expectancy was relatively short. Few
                    > families have any records about their families. Those records they do have
                    > are often business documents like land deeds and the like.
                    > I hope you have a wonderful time in Slovakia. May is a beautiful time of
                    > the year. My first trip was in May.
                    > Michael Mojher

                  • htcstech
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 17, 2012
                      Nick,
                      I forgot about the video, thinking that it's too bulky to take with me. I
                      also have a top of the line 20x travel camera which takes HD video, but I
                      also have something called a Flipshare (Cisco) which is a small video only
                      camera, easily fits into a pocket and can be set not to show the ON light
                      as well.

                      I met my Grandfather on my mother's side in 1979 who lived in a small town
                      near Budapest in one of those quaint houses with an orchard out the back.
                      He was a real survivor and no fool. Occasionally he would disappear into a
                      room a listen to the Hungarian language version of the BBC World Service on
                      shortwave with a headphone - army style! No-one knew of this except his son
                      and second wife.
                      I damn myself sometimes when I think back to those days. I was in Europe
                      for about 10 months travelling to many countries and popping into Hungary a
                      few times. As a 25 yr old travelling on a Western passport, having to
                      report to the police and show my identification papers, I was frightened to
                      speak up (unless asked).
                      It was apparent that Hungary at the time was a lot freer than neighbouring
                      Soviet Block countries as the Soviet's looked at the place as a vacation
                      spot and as an outlet for Western goods. The Soviets were privileged and
                      could buy such items. I was told by a communist sympathizer that Hungary
                      had not developed enough for 'true communism', but were 'socialist'
                      instead. Not the US Republican definition of Socialism, but true socialism
                      which in fact benefitted the people as there was negative unemployment and
                      food and lodging for all. Cheap Soviet gas (as in gas, not petrol)
                      supplies, infrastructure building and so on.
                      Interestingly, the closest I could get to Slovakia was at a natural hot
                      water baths which was dug into a system of caves near the border. There I
                      met with some 'Slovaks'. Travel to and from Slovakia was easy for either
                      citizen, but extremely difficult for Westerners, so I couldn't go.
                      Magyar-Czechoslovak passpot control was tough for Westeners at the time as
                      they feared 'contraband' - typically drugs, but also included vinyl
                      records, books and a variety of other stuff. This mentality was pervasive
                      everywhere. My uncle was gaoled (ermm... jailed) for smuggling vinyl
                      records to and from Yugoslavia. Before I left, I was warned in no uncertain
                      terms not to take 'Icons' back with me which fetched a good price on the
                      Western side. Passport control was everywhere in Europe. The West Germans
                      had it tough though. A real police state.

                      In 1975 my father (under an Australian passport) went to Slovakia via
                      Hungary to meet with relatives he had not seen since 1936. He was driving a
                      car he borrowed from a Hungarian national. He was stopped at the
                      Czechslovak border for 6 hours waiting to be cleared. When one official
                      passed by and asked him why he was waiting, he was so angry he replied "I'm
                      waiting to be arrested." - He was let through after that, but the
                      experience of that and in hometown Slovakia made him very agitated, caused
                      him a minor stroke, resulting in a major stroke a few months after he
                      returned. He received news of his mother's death and weeks later, his
                      brother's death. WWII, his escape from an American prison camp, his walk
                      back from Holland to Budapest during the bombardment of Europe, Soviet
                      occupation, the Hungarian Revolution in 1956, escape as refugee, the price
                      on his head and his visit certainly took their toll on him. That is in the
                      end, what I experienced of the Slovak situation via his eyes.
                      People's attitude varied a lot. Some praised the Soviets, other (the older
                      generation) begged me to take them with me. It wasn't Soviet oppression,
                      but economic circumstances. One measure of this was when I was asked "How
                      many shirts can you buy from a month's wages in Australia?"

                      Personally I can't forget these experiences and there is still some
                      apprehension in me.
                      Yet what I regret the most was that I didn't spend enough time with my
                      surviving grandparent(s) on both sides of the family. Now in hindsight I
                      wish I had.
                      My Slovak grandmother who was living in Budapest at the time told me of how
                      brutal the Soviet army was on the way to 'Liberate' the country, but how
                      the Germans were kind and gentlemanly to everyone. That was a watershed
                      moment for me, as I then understood that the newer generation, born and
                      educated under Soviet control were pro-socialist, but the older generation,
                      like my grandfather with his shortwave saw the Soviets for what they were.
                      Was it not the Jesuits who said "Give me a child under 7 and I will make
                      him believe anything"?

                      When I got back to Australia, I bought a shortwave and tuned in to the
                      Soviet world service in English to listen to what they had to say. It was
                      all wonderful, how the Soviets were for world peace, advancements in
                      Science, food production for the starving around the world, educational
                      exchange, the plight of the American Negroes (!), new infrastructure and so
                      on. No wonder the propaganda worked. Now it's all arse-about with the
                      pro-Soviet generation leading the socialist parties in all the old block
                      states and the newer generation leading the right wing.

                      Go figure eh?

                      Peter M.

                    • Ron
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 18, 2012
                        A few years ago a 96 year old neighbor came to visit my 90 year old Aunt while I was visiting and I took a few snapshots and then set my camera on video recording and casually set it on the table facing the farm yard. I have a 10 or 12 minute recording of that conversation, and perhaps someday I will find someone who can translate 100 year old Rusyn for me.

                        Peter, in contrast to your experience, my 1970 and 1982 visits impressed me that traveling as a Westerner gave me distinct privileges that the local citizens did not have. My bags weren't searched while theirs were done thoroughly; I most always encountered extreme politeness from officials, while locals were treated with disrespect in transit. One woman had me slip her western currency in my pocket (I chose a shirt pocket in her sight) so customs would not find it on her. Crossing into Hungary the Citizens hid their contraband in the railroad compartment, and then after the paired up police with the auto rifles left and the train proceeded, they took their now empty wine bottles and tossed them out on the rail bed cussing out the "$%^&* communiste".

                        Crossing from Hungary to Czechoslovakia was ... routine. Locals were well inspected and I just had to produce my passport. I did return having witnessed neighbor spying on neighbor, and had one instance where two fellows (one a cousin) each warned me of the other; "watch what you say in front of him, he is a communist".

                        The only discourtesy I ran across was from a few individuals who despised westerners, capitalists, and felt obligated to separate me from as much money as they could. Nothing personal, it was morals. I was an immoral, materialistic westerner, while they were the moral socialist. I entered Hungary a poor USA student and 2 weeks later left Czechoslovakia knowing I was a rich westerner. I am not at all a flag waver, but in the 1982 visit had a lapel pin in my collar during the full visit.

                        Ron
                        Pardon me, that strayed quite a bit from the original recording and genealogy!

> [...]
                        > > happy you have it. I use a MP3/WMA 2GB record and play digital voice
                        > > recorder. It uses 2 AAA
                        > > alkaline batteries and gives about 40-hours of use on a set of batteries.
                        > > I especially like this
                        > > one as it has voice activation and some sensitivity features. It is
                        > > smaller than a pack of cigarettes;
                        > > thank goodness for the case with strap as the recorder can easily slide
                        > > out of a shirt pocket. And
                        > > it has a USB cable to hook up to a computer for downloading.
                        > >
                        > > I have also used a small digital camcorder to capture video as well as
                        > > using it as a voice recorder.
                        > > When I use it as a voice recorder with someone that definitely does not
                        > > want to be videoed, then
                        > > I simply put the lens cap on it or otherwise obstruct the lens while
                        > > leaving the mic unobstructed.
                        > >
                        > > Take the recorder and have a safe and successful trip. Nick

                      • Nick Kerpchar
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 18, 2012
                          It's all a matter of perspective.  If your life experiences are only a few years then you think it has
                          always been that way.  That is why the older generations have a different view of things  Propaganda
                          is propaganda even in democratic countries and the uninformed are very susceptible to it.

                          Good luck on your trip.  Nick