RE: [S-R] Re: Ship Record

  • Maxine
    Message 1 of 45 , Oct 15, 2012
      Dennis, did you receive my e-mail concerning St Johns? Thanks maxine

      Message 45 of 45 , Dec 27, 2012
        The digest is a convenience provided by Yahoo to open all message activity from the previous day at one time instead of opening each message.  On December 21, 2012 there were 10 messages posted, it was assigned the digest number of 4412 (that’s about 12 years of digests).  It collates the messages according to the subject and numbers them with an Arabic numeral and a letter.  The number is the subject and the letter is the order of receipt; e.g. 1a is the first posting for that day for subject "1", subsequent postings are have the next letter appended to the number – 1e was the fifth posting that day.  The second thread was assigned identifies 2a through 2e.

        Each message appears as the author wrote it (just as it would if you opened the individual message in your viewer).  If the author of message 1b chose to delete or alter the thread contents that is what is shown.

        For reasons known only to Yahoo, some digest messages are appended with a decimal and digit e.g. 2.1, 2.2, etc.  They still follow the convention of the first number applying to the subject.

        I do not know of any way to search for a digest number at the Yahoo Groups site.  There are various search options:

        Enter a specific message number and you get it instantly

        If you enter "ship record", you’ll get over 1,200 hits because it searches for the text string of "ship record" anywhere in the messages; this includes the body and subject.  It also will find any occurrence of "ship record" such as "ship records", "ship recording", etc.

        The advanced search permits the filtering of the results so only the subject containing "ship record" can be searched.  This will result in 60 messages.  The search can be further modified by specifying various dates or ranges.  A specific author can be used and there is also filtering of the message body contents.  The option is either "contains" or "does not contain".  The time period has a number of options including before, after, and between dates and various numbers of days.

        Dr. "Q"
        Moderator