SLOVAKLAND

  • MGMojher
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 13, 2012
      For those of you who have gone through the US censuses you will notice that the word Slovakland was entered. I have finally read why that was entered. In History of Slovaks in America by Konstantin Culen, Chapter XXIX: The Struggle for Slovak Identity in American Statistics is told how Slovaks in America fought to not to be identified as Hungarians.
      The United States census prior to 1910 used the classification of “political nationality.” This meant that whoever was from Hungary was a Hungarian, and the Magyars considered every Hungarian to be a Magyar. Even though the Magyars were in the minority population. The Slovaks, Croats, Rusyns, Slovenes and Serbs outnumbered them in Hungary.
      At the turn of the 20th century the Slovaks in America were pressing for their identity. Twenty year before there were several essays published in the Narodne noviny (National News) that recommended that the Slovaks when asked about the place of their birth should answer with “Slovakland.”
      In February of 1910 the Slovaks held a meeting in Pittsburgh regard the upcoming census. This lead to a delegation being formed that petitioned Director of the Thirteenth United States Census, Dana Durand, that the non-Magyars in Hungary should be able to counted according to their identities. On the same day as the meeting, March 10, 1910, Senator Oliver in the Senate and Congressman Sabath in the House Representatives presented amendments to the census code. On March 14 Senate bill 7093 and House bill 22,678 passed. From the census of 1910 on the Slovaks could identify themselves as such in the census. No more Slovakland.

    • Bud N
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 14, 2012
        While the meeting in Pittsburgh was hosted by the Slovak League and primarily attended by representatives of Slovak organization, there were other "racial" groups in attendance, sic, Serbs, Croatian, Ruthenians, Russian etc. [Note: In 1910, Serbs, Croatians, etc. were called "races" not "ethnic groups".

        The petition requested that each Slavic racial group be afforded the same identification status as Irish and British were afforded. The Irish race was different than the British race.

        The signatures of the petition didn't come from the Pittsburgh community but were all acquired from Cleveland, Ohio. It was the largest petition ever submitted regarding the US census and had 2,735 signatures. Though a contemporary news report claimed it was 5,000 signatures. The entire petition was 124 pages.

        I tried to upload the first 3 pages of the petition, the description of the petition, but I don't have the appropriate privileges.

        To Juraj: If you like I can e-mail the images to you and you can upload them; I have your e-mail address.
      • htcstech
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 14, 2012
          I would like the first page please if you can email it to me as well.

          Peter M.