re: please hlep reading notes

  • milliemom4683
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 11, 2012
      Thank you! I learned something. I presume that home ownership usually went to the oldest son? Then the rest of the family lived in the home as long as the oldest son allowed?
    • MGMojher
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 11, 2012
        During my readings there was a description of the typical household. It was often a very full house. Many families had more than six children. Their families when married could become part of the household. The owners siblings and children could be staying with them.
        The main room often had a bench that was on all the walls. They became beds. There was a hierarchy on who got to sleep where, especially in winter. The owner always got the bed platform that what part of the stove/heater unit. Next came the bench, floor, other rooms and the barn,

        Thank you! I learned something. I presume that home ownership usually went to the oldest son? Then the rest of the family lived in the home as long as the oldest son allowed?

      • CurtB
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 11, 2012
          Milliemom,
          Read Michael Mojer's descriptive response, it describes the situation more accurately.

          Ownership there was not absolute or 'fee simple' as we experience it. Ownership was a shared set of rights often including nobility or other authority. Ownership rights were usually passsed in a family but not always to an elder son. He might marry and leave to live in a new home or home of the wife's family. Unmarried siblings, or even married ones would not be put out of a family home. No village wanted to live with homeless people they would have to care for.

          Curt B.