please help reading notes

  • milliemom4683
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 11, 2012
      On the LDS website, for the Slovak village Zubak https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-22633-21294-69?cc=1554443&wc=MMYV-5FR:n329565407, there is an entry for the birth of Catharina Marciss. Please help reading the notes where the baptismal sponsors are written. My main question is, does the note say that one of the sponsors was a grandfather named George? And, what does the rest of that note say? Also, am I correct that the parents are listed as farmers?

      Thank you, all of you very helpful people!
    • MGMojher
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 11, 2012
        I see his name as Georgius Dedko, cannot make out his occupation. The parents were farmers.

        On the LDS website, for the Slovak village Zubak https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-22633-21294-69?cc=1554443&wc=MMYV-5FR:n329565407, there is an entry for the birth of Catharina Marciss. Please help reading the notes where the baptismal sponsors are written. My main question is, does the note say that one of the sponsors was a grandfather named George? And, what does the rest of that note say? Also, am I correct that the parents are listed as farmers?

        Thank you, all of you very helpful people!

      • CurtB
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 11, 2012
          Milliemom,
          The terms used to describe the families are not exactly occupations, but as the head of the column indicates, "conditio" or status. The parents conditio is 'agricolae', that is, landless and not owning their own home, agricultural workers, as opposed to the inquilinae, which you will see on other families, who owned their own homes.

          The witnesses or sponsors at this baptism are listed as 'incolae', just meaning the same status as the parents, a dweller, not an owner.

          Curt B.