100 year rule

  • Tom Geiss
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 9, 2012
      I understand the "100 year rule; and privacy. But this is now 2012. Shouldn't we be able to get LDS records to 1912?? I have some interesting births I would like to find from the early 1900's.
      Tom

    • htcstech
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 10, 2012
        My thoughts too, but church record books can span 20-40 years or more. So
        even though the 2012 year marker should let us see these records, it won't
        happen until the whole time span has passed as Utah aren't likely to split
        a book. If they do, then they'll be obliged to do it every year.

        Peter M.

        On 10 October 2012 14:12, Tom Geiss <tomfgurka@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > I understand the "100 year rule; and privacy. But this is now 2012.
        > Shouldn't we be able to get LDS records to 1912?? I have some interesting
        > births I would like to find from the early 1900's.
        > Tom

      • Jody Gonda
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 10, 2012
          Peter,

          I am confused with this discussion, and here is why.  When I search on the catalog in the LDS Familysearch.org - I search by place names; Sedliacka Dubova.  I then select the Secliacka Dubova Church Records and click on; Cirkena matrika, 1697-1909.
          Then mid-page I can click on - Slovakia, Church and Synagogue Books are available online, click here.

          This is where it is confusing to me.  All of the records are baptizims.  The description for these records are;

          Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages and deaths for Sedliacka Dubová, Slovakia, formerly Paraszt-Dubova, Árva, Hungary. text in Latin and Hungarian.

          So why isn't the marriage or death records also included?  Is this part of the 100 year rule Tom Geiss is asking about?

          Jody Gonda
          Old genealogists never die, they just lose their census!

          ________________________________

          On 10 October 2012 14:12, Tom Geiss <mailto:tomfgurka%40gvtc.com> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > I understand the "100 year rule; and privacy. But this is now 2012.
          > Shouldn't we be able to get LDS records to 1912?? I have some interesting
          > births I would like to find from the early 1900's.
          > Tom

        • John
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 10, 2012
            >>> I search by place names; Sedliacka Dubova.  . . . All of the records are baptizims. <<<

            I don't think so. You should see:

            Baptisms, confirmations, marriages, deaths (Krsty, birmovaní, manželstvá, úmrtia) 1794-1909

            Baptisms, marriages, deaths (Krsty, manželstvá, úmrtia) 1697-1727

            Baptisms, marriages, deaths (Krsty, manželstvá, úmrtia) 1727-1843
            Deaths (Úmrtia) 1844-1851
          • Jody Gonda
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 10, 2012
              Well, I looked at every page and they say baptism.  So if it should include marriage and death, maybe the records never got uploaded to the site, but then why?  Guess I could send LDS a note and ask why I am not seeing the marriage and death records (I'll do this tomorrow as it is getting late here).

              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 11, 2012
                >>> Well, I looked at every page and they say baptism.  So if it should include marriage and death, maybe the records never got uploaded to the site, but then why?  Guess I could send LDS a note and ask why I am not seeing the marriage and death records <<<

                I went to those exact same records and picked a random page = 750/831 and saw death records for 1797.

                https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-22639-3569-69?cc=1554443&wc=MMYV-LVL:2135118284