Re: [S-R] Need Help

  • William C. Wormuth
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 8, 2012
      Bob,

      It's a mystery! The closest I can see is Lukac~ovce and there are two.  One Okres Humenne and the other in the west, Okres Hlohovec and a Lukac~ near the Moravian Border under the Highest Peak of the Bile Karpaty, Javorina.

      The Hungarian word, Falva means village.

      Sorry I can't help more.

      Z Bohom,

      Vilo

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 8, 2012
        I also noticed Luc~ka, (which means meadow). I believe Lukac~ [Luh-kahch] is derivative of Luke.  Since there is no connection of the words, I didn't consider Lucka.
        Since most of Bob's family are in the East, I think the closest is Lukacovce, Okres Humenne.

        Hope you are right but then, people also traveled around in those days.

        Z Bohom,

        Vilo

        ________________________________
        Falva in Hungarian translates to “villlages”. Lukacs had not translations. This is a village of Lucka in the area.

        I found a death Record of a relative in the Krasnohorske Podhradie area. His place of birth was listed as LukacsFalva. I cannot find any reference to this village. I searched on-line under Roznava, Krasnohorske Podhradie, the records dating back from 1895 and the person in question is line 52 on frame 588 of 632 .

        Any help on this will be appreciated.

        Bob Pollak

      • CurtB
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 8, 2012
          Bob,
          The village included in that register is present day Krasnohorska Dlha Luka.

          Curt B.

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Robert Pollak <rjp4053@...> wrote:

          > I found a death Record of a relative in the Krasnohorske Podhradie area.    His place of birth was listed as LukacsFalva.  I cannot find any reference to this village.  I searched on-line under Roznava, Krasnohorske Podhradie, the records dating back from 1895 and the person in question is line 52 on frame 588 of 632 .
          >
          > Any help on this will be appreciated.
          >
          > Bob Pollak

        • William C. Wormuth
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 8, 2012
            Bob,

            Should have asked for the name.  Please forward the name .

            Z Bohom,

            Vilo

            ________________________________

            I found a death Record of a relative in the Krasnohorske Podhradie area.    His place of birth was listed as LukacsFalva.  I cannot find any reference to this village.  I searched on-line under Roznava, Krasnohorske Podhradie, the records dating back from 1895 and the person in question is line 52 on frame 588 of 632 .

            Any help on this will be appreciated.

            Bob Pollak

          • John
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 9, 2012
              >>> I found a death Record of a relative in the Krasnohorske Podhradie area. His place of birth was listed as LukacsFalva. <<<

              Here's another application of "The Adam Theorem", or "The Two Village Rule", not referenced by anyone in recent times.

              Refer to the Gomor Megye 1910 map at http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/gomork.jpg

              Look three villages southeast of Krasnohorske Podhradie to find Lucska. OK, so the theorem is not perfect. The village is mapped today as Lucka. The village mentioned in another reply that is now shown as Krasnahorska Dlha Luka (one village south) was then mapped as Varhosszuret.

              Take your pick.
            • CurtB
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 9, 2012
                JohnQ,

                You are right that the Hungarian name for the village was Varhosszuret, or some variation thereof. So that is what you will find on any Hungarian map. But be sure to also look in the indexes of the Hungarian Gazeteers of the ninteenth century which also list the other names in contemporary use; Langewiese as the German name, and Dluha Luka as the Slovak usage. Hungarians created these indexes because they were just as confused as we are by the variant names.

                Curt B.

                > Here's another application of "The Adam Theorem", or "The Two Village Rule", not referenced by anyone in recent times.
                >
                > Refer to the Gomor Megye 1910 map at http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/gomork.jpg
                >
                > Look three villages southeast of Krasnohorske Podhradie to find Lucska. OK, so the theorem is not perfect. The village is mapped today as Lucka. The village mentioned in another reply that is now shown as Krasnahorska Dlha Luka (one village south) was then mapped as Varhosszuret.
                >
                > Take your pick.

              • Robert Pollak
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 9, 2012
                  The name I found is Mihaly  Vittek.  Thanks to all that responded.   Because the family lived in the area of Krasnohorske Podhradie, I lean toward Lucka an Krasnohorske Dlha Luka a the most likely possibilities.  Actually I was in both towns last March.  I passed though Lucka on my way to Borka and I was in Krasnohoske Dlha Luka looking for an Ice Cave.  Never found it!

                  Thanks again for the suggestions\,
                  Bob Pollak

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 9, 2012
                    >>> I passed though Lucka on my way to Borka and I was in Krasnohoske Dlha Luka looking for an Ice Cave.  Never found it! <<<

                    If you were looking for Dobšinská Ice Cave, you were on the wrong map page! Interesting spot. Helluva climb to the entrance for us corpulent old guys.
                  • MGMojher
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 9, 2012
                      Bob,
                      The Dobsinska Ice cave doesn’t open until June. So even if you found it you would not have gotten into it in March.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 9, 2012
                        I was staying in Krasnohorske Podhradie and my cousin that lives in Lipovnik told me about a small cave a few km south of them in either Krasnohorske Dlha Luka or in Jovice..   I never found it.  Maybe next time.

                        Bob