Baptismal record translation question

  • darah.gardner
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 6, 2012
      I am learning key Slovakian words, using fhl searches and the dictionaries. I
      have two specific questions at this point (LOTS of questions actually!)

      1) in the observations of a baptismal record it says:

      Ex(?). 1907 (a 1 inside what looks like a 7) 3 haz.

      I cannot find what this means....i uploaded it to files...

      2) A baptismal record says VARALOTT and VARA. as place.... is this Váralja, Hungary? Or somewhere else?
    • William C. Wormuth
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 6, 2012
        I am learning key Slovakian words... Please note that most early records, (before 1919), are written in Hungarian, NOT Slovak.  Additionally, Ellis Island records before 1919, are given as Hungarian, IE..istvan instead of Stefan, Mihaly rather than Michal, etc.  This, because the immigrants came fro Northern Hungary and their papers were written in Hungarian.  The same for towns of origin.

        1) 1907 has a "cross" On the 7, distinguishing it from a 1 when written longhand.
            haz. means house.
        2)  VARALOTT and VARA ar most probably variations of Váralja orVáralya which    is Spissky, (accent mark over the 4th letter, "s") Podhradie  [Speesh-skee Pohdhrahd-ee-eh].

        Z Bohom,

        Vilo