Re: [S-R] Re: Ship Record - a note from Bill

    Message 1 of 45 , Oct 5, 2012
      Hello there,

      I'm late to this party so here is my $0.02.

      In the old days, before online databases, we had to use different tools to
      get to the data.

      For example,
      http://www.cimorelli.com/safe/shipmenu.htm
      To cross reference a steamer name or date of arrival. I've often found
      these dates to be off by plus or minus three years, worst case.

      You might also want to look at Steve Morse's tools. Another deductive
      approach. There are lots of tools, giving you lots of latitude to invent
      a strategy appropriate to your research.
      http://www.stevemorse.org/

      Data until about 1902 was pretty sketchy. How did you deduce that he was
      from Hungary? You MUST find the village of origin. A very useful method
      is to search for others with a similar surname and see what village they
      came from and where they went. Chances are good that many immigrants went
      to a destination. Use Steve's tools for this method.

      More tips are here:
      http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/heritagequest.htm

      http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/EIDB_Errors.htm

      Lastly, I'd say that out of every 100 names I research, 25% of the
      surnames have been transcribed incorrectly to the database. When you
      finally find the correct manifest, you say "ah-ha! how could they miss
      that?" It is what it is. Be prepared to work with flawed data as this
      group says.

      Best Wishes,

      Bill Tarkulich

      On Fri, October 5, 2012 10:58 am, patskanovo wrote:
      > 9 Kozsup, Sandor Ragaly 31 1872 1903
      >
      > Possible?
      >
      > Dennis
      >
      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "patskanovo" <ddhalusker@...> wrote:
      >>

      >> Do you have his certificate of Arrival?
      >>
      >> Do you have his Declaration of Intention?
      >>
      >> Do you have his Petition for Naturalization?
      >>
      >> What record do you have?
      >>
      >> These records can span many years......sometimes the spelling of the
      >> name and information can change....I would think, but am just guessing
      >> he would have come under the name of Elic,Alec or even Sandor rather
      >> than Alexander?
      >>
      >> The name could be different on every document hindering one, even at the
      >> time from finding his record of arrival...
      >>
      >> Sandor was the Hungarian version and would most likely be the name on
      >> official documents.
      >>
      >> Dennis
      >>

      >> --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "jtgen96" <jtgen96@> wrote:
      >> >
      >> > We need some help! We have been looking for a ship record for a
      >> relative since 2006 with no luck. We recently received a nationalization
      >> record that givse a date of arrival in New York, but still we have not
      >> find the record. The person was an educated man -- a Greek Catholic
      >> cantor from Slovakia -- so we believe that his memory should be
      >> reliable. Any ideas?
      >> >
      >> > INFORMATION:
      >> > NAME: Alexander Kozub
      >> > BIRTH: 14 September 1860 in Hungary
      >> > ARRIVAL: New York 24th November 1887
      >> > DATE OF RECORD: 28 October 1893

    • Dr. Joe Q
      Message 45 of 45 , Dec 27, 2012
        The digest is a convenience provided by Yahoo to open all message activity from the previous day at one time instead of opening each message.  On December 21, 2012 there were 10 messages posted, it was assigned the digest number of 4412 (that’s about 12 years of digests).  It collates the messages according to the subject and numbers them with an Arabic numeral and a letter.  The number is the subject and the letter is the order of receipt; e.g. 1a is the first posting for that day for subject "1", subsequent postings are have the next letter appended to the number – 1e was the fifth posting that day.  The second thread was assigned identifies 2a through 2e.

        Each message appears as the author wrote it (just as it would if you opened the individual message in your viewer).  If the author of message 1b chose to delete or alter the thread contents that is what is shown.

        For reasons known only to Yahoo, some digest messages are appended with a decimal and digit e.g. 2.1, 2.2, etc.  They still follow the convention of the first number applying to the subject.

        I do not know of any way to search for a digest number at the Yahoo Groups site.  There are various search options:

        Enter a specific message number and you get it instantly

        If you enter "ship record", you’ll get over 1,200 hits because it searches for the text string of "ship record" anywhere in the messages; this includes the body and subject.  It also will find any occurrence of "ship record" such as "ship records", "ship recording", etc.

        The advanced search permits the filtering of the results so only the subject containing "ship record" can be searched.  This will result in 60 messages.  The search can be further modified by specifying various dates or ranges.  A specific author can be used and there is also filtering of the message body contents.  The option is either "contains" or "does not contain".  The time period has a number of options including before, after, and between dates and various numbers of days.

        Dr. "Q"
        Moderator