Re: [S-R] Where can you find ships'records?

  • Will John
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 2, 2012
      Here is a link to the free Castle Garden database -

      http://www.castlegarden.org/

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2012
        Thanks to both of you for this information. I do belong to Ancestry.com but I never heard of Castle Garden. I can't wait to check it out. This group is invaluable. I am so glad I found it!
        Eileen

        Here is a link to the free Castle Garden database -

        http://www.castlegarden.org/

        Ellis Island opened in 1892. Prior to that was Castle Gardens. You would need to look at those records. You have to be a member of Ancestry.com to view them. Or reply with your search information and I will give a look.

        I really am new at all of this so please bear with me. I have found records on the Ellis Island site but where do I look for ships' manifests for arrivals in 1889 or back as far as 1860?
        Thanks
        Eileen

      • Carol
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 2, 2012
          Am I missing something?  It says that it is free, but then says that you have to have a membership after you sign up for a free trial.    Carol

           Here is a link to the free Castle Garden database -

          http://www.castlegarden.org/

          Ellis Island opened in 1892. Prior to that was Castle Gardens. You would need to look at those records. You have to be a member of Ancestry.com to view them. Or reply with your search information and I will give a look.

          I really am new at all of this so please bear with me. I have found records on the Ellis Island site but where do I look for ships' manifests for arrivals in 1889 or back as far as 1860?
          Thanks
          Eileen

        • johnqadam
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 3, 2012
            Are you using the Morse front end for ship's records? There are both paid and free access options offered at:

            http://www.stevemorse.org/