Re: [S-R] Ship Record

  • MGMojher
    Message 1 of 45 , Oct 2, 2012
      I looked a the US Censuses from 1900 to 1930, Alexander Kozub gave his immigration year as 1887. Although he did change his nationality to Austrian and birthplace Austria.

      On the Ship’s Manifest Alexander listed his nationality as Ruthenian and birthplace as Galicia. Galica was a district in southeastern Poland that bordered Slovakia. The Ruthenians were in what is modern Slovakia, Poland and the Ukraine.

      Having had relatives that went back an forth I am not surprised that Alexander was returning in 1904. The only problem is that he says he was in the US from 1900 to 1902. We have no information on where he was prior to 1900.

      If Alexander did arrive in 1887 then searching the 1886 Manifests would be a “shot in the dark”. I agree that people often got confused about their arrival dates. It was stated that Alexander was a GK cantor. So he was educated and should have been less likely to be confused.

      Message 45 of 45 , Dec 27, 2012
        The digest is a convenience provided by Yahoo to open all message activity from the previous day at one time instead of opening each message.  On December 21, 2012 there were 10 messages posted, it was assigned the digest number of 4412 (that’s about 12 years of digests).  It collates the messages according to the subject and numbers them with an Arabic numeral and a letter.  The number is the subject and the letter is the order of receipt; e.g. 1a is the first posting for that day for subject "1", subsequent postings are have the next letter appended to the number – 1e was the fifth posting that day.  The second thread was assigned identifies 2a through 2e.

        Each message appears as the author wrote it (just as it would if you opened the individual message in your viewer).  If the author of message 1b chose to delete or alter the thread contents that is what is shown.

        For reasons known only to Yahoo, some digest messages are appended with a decimal and digit e.g. 2.1, 2.2, etc.  They still follow the convention of the first number applying to the subject.

        I do not know of any way to search for a digest number at the Yahoo Groups site.  There are various search options:

        Enter a specific message number and you get it instantly

        If you enter "ship record", you’ll get over 1,200 hits because it searches for the text string of "ship record" anywhere in the messages; this includes the body and subject.  It also will find any occurrence of "ship record" such as "ship records", "ship recording", etc.

        The advanced search permits the filtering of the results so only the subject containing "ship record" can be searched.  This will result in 60 messages.  The search can be further modified by specifying various dates or ranges.  A specific author can be used and there is also filtering of the message body contents.  The option is either "contains" or "does not contain".  The time period has a number of options including before, after, and between dates and various numbers of days.

        Dr. "Q"
        Moderator