Where can you find ships'records?

  • Eileen Williams
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 2, 2012
      I really am new at all of this so please bear with me. I have found records on the Ellis Island site but where do I look for ships' manifests for arrivals in 1889 or back as far as 1860?
      Thanks
      Eileen

    • MGMojher
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2012
        Eileen,
        Ellis Island opened in 1892. Prior to that was Castle Gardens. You would need to look at those records. You have to be a member of Ancestry.com to view them. Or reply with your search information and I will give a look.

        I really am new at all of this so please bear with me. I have found records on the Ellis Island site but where do I look for ships' manifests for arrivals in 1889 or back as far as 1860?
        Thanks
        Eileen

      • Will John
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 2, 2012
          Here is a link to the free Castle Garden database -

          http://www.castlegarden.org/

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 2, 2012
            Thanks to both of you for this information. I do belong to Ancestry.com but I never heard of Castle Garden. I can't wait to check it out. This group is invaluable. I am so glad I found it!
            Eileen

            Here is a link to the free Castle Garden database -

            http://www.castlegarden.org/

            Ellis Island opened in 1892. Prior to that was Castle Gardens. You would need to look at those records. You have to be a member of Ancestry.com to view them. Or reply with your search information and I will give a look.

            I really am new at all of this so please bear with me. I have found records on the Ellis Island site but where do I look for ships' manifests for arrivals in 1889 or back as far as 1860?
            Thanks
            Eileen

          • Carol
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 2, 2012
              Am I missing something?  It says that it is free, but then says that you have to have a membership after you sign up for a free trial.    Carol

               Here is a link to the free Castle Garden database -

              http://www.castlegarden.org/

              Ellis Island opened in 1892. Prior to that was Castle Gardens. You would need to look at those records. You have to be a member of Ancestry.com to view them. Or reply with your search information and I will give a look.

              I really am new at all of this so please bear with me. I have found records on the Ellis Island site but where do I look for ships' manifests for arrivals in 1889 or back as far as 1860?
              Thanks
              Eileen

            • johnqadam
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 3, 2012
                Are you using the Morse front end for ship's records? There are both paid and free access options offered at:

                http://www.stevemorse.org/