Guidance for a beginner

  • William Wright
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 21, 2012
      I would first like to apologize for my ignorance on the matter of Slovak roots. I have been trying to grasp as much information as possible from the resources and various messages within this group and it is highly overwhelming for me.
      The information I have on my great-grandparents may be too minimal to receive any kind of assistance. I'm just looking for someone to send me in the right direction of finding out where my family came from.

      My great-grandfather: George COPAK SOPAK (listed on his grave stone in WEST VIRGINIA) 1892 - 1976
      * The 1930 census states he was born in Czechoslovakia in 1894 and his immigration year is 1909.
      * The 1920 census states he was born in Bohemia in 1892.
      * The US SS Death Index has his dates as March 1893 - December 1976This is all the information I have on him. His son, GEORGE SOPAK, was my maternal grandfather and I never met him. I was too young to speak to my great aunts and uncles to get information from them as to their roots. There were 10 of them and they were all born in PA or WV.

      My great-grandmother, George's wife, is SUSIE SOKOL SOPAK (listed on her grave stone in WEST VIRGINIA) 1894 - 1975
      These are all the solid facts I have. The rest of the information would only be guesses. Such as these:
      * The 1910 census has a SUSAN SOKOL, aged 16 from Hungary, living with a "LAPCHEK" family. I list this as possibly relevant because they were living in Luzerne, PA, which is not too far (16 miles) from where George and Susie Sopak had children: Star Junction, PA. From the FamilySearch.org website under the "Slovakia, Church and Synagogue Books, 1592-1910 Evangelical (Evanjelícká cirkev) Dolný Kubín Žaškov Baptisms (Krsty) 1871-1911" I find a "ZUSANNA SOKOL" born in March of 1894 with parents of "JAN SOKOL and KATRENA DZURIK". This information could be totally irrelevant. I saw the name and birth month and considered there could be a connection.Here is the link to the image of the baptism document:  http://tiny.cc/tmtzkw
      * In the Ellis Island arrival records there is a "ZUZANNA SZOKOL" arriving from Brenen in October of 1913, with her previous residence being GABOLTO, Hungary.Thank you in advance for any assistance. If the information is not specific enough, I completely understand.
      Blessings,
      --bill

      *     The 1930 census states she was born in Czechoslovakia in 1894 and her immigration year is 1913. It also lists her as "SUSA", not Susie.
      *     The 1920 census states she was born in Bohemia in 1896.
      *     The US SS Death Index has her dates as March 21, 1894 - October, 1975
      *     On their daughter's (ANNA SOPAK) marriage record it lists her as "SUSIE SOKAL" (PA 1930s)
      *     On their infant son's death (JOHN SOPAK, WV 1931) it lists her as "SUSAN SUSOO"

    • helene cincebeaux
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 21, 2012
        Hi William - bet that your Gabolto Hungary is now called Gaboltova -  it was in old SARIS county and in located in northeastern Slovakia. I was there during a major pilgrimage to a holy icon of the Blessed Virgin housed  in the church - thousands of people blanketed the slopes of the hill where the church is situated - an incredibly beautiful mass and singing but then a storm came up and everyone fled down to the village.

        helene

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 21, 2012
          I'm a beginner too, was able to at least get a starting point on where to look by locating the Naturalization Documents for my grandpa, or a close relative (sibling wife etc) and from there I had A LOT of information.  I found mine (the image of the original document in its entirety, not an index) on Fold3.COM, or you could try Family Search, but I haven't had as much luck with nat. docs there.  There's a lot of information on those - and most of them i've found have a village specific residence listed as well as a lot of other helpfull information.

          Best luck.

          ________________________________
[...]

        • William C. Wormuth
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 22, 2012
            http://www.obeczaskov.sk/informacna_tabula.htm

            http://www.gaboltov.ocu.sk

            I would first like to apologize for my ignorance on the matter of Slovak roots. I have been trying to grasp as much information as possible from the resources and various messages within this group and it is highly
            overwhelming for me.
            The information I have on my great-grandparents may be too minimal to
            receive any kind of assistance. I'm just looking for someone to send me
            in the right direction of finding out where my family came from.

            No Apologies necessary, that is what this site is about

            My great-grandfather: George COPAK SOPAK (listed on his grave stone in WEST VIRGINIA) 1892 - 1976

            I BELIEVE THE NAME IS SOPAK WITH ACCENT MARK OVER THE S [SHOH-PAHK] : http://telefonny.zoznam.sk/Sopak/slovensko/

            * The 1930 census states he was born in Czechoslovakia in 1894 and his immigration year is 1909.

            Before 1919 the country was Northern Hungary and Emigres were listed as Hungarian.  By 1930 it was Czechoslovakia.

            According to Ellis Island info, He came to Philadelphia at age 18, with a female   last name Lajza [lahee-zah].  Since both were heading for Philadelphia, I believe they were together.

            * The 1920 census states he was born in Bohemia in 1892.

            Same as above

            * The US SS Death Index has his dates as March 1893 - December 1976This
            is all the information I have on him. His son, GEORGE SOPAK, was my
            maternal grandfather and I never met him. I was too young to speak to my
            great aunts and uncles to get information from them as to their roots.
            There were 10 of them and they were all born in PA or WV.

            No comment.

            My great-grandmother, George's wife, is SUSIE SOKOL SOPAK (listed on her grave stone in WEST VIRGINIA) 1894 - 1975
            These are all the solid facts I have. The rest of the information would only be guesses. Such as these:
            * The 1910 census has a SUSAN SOKOL, aged 16 from Hungary, living with a
            "LAPCHEK" family. I list this as possibly relevant because they were
            living in Luzerne, PA, which is not too far (16 miles) from where George
            and Susie Sopak had children: Star Junction, PA. From the FamilySearch.org website under the "Slovakia, Church and Synagogue Books, 1592-1910
            Evangelical (Evanjelícká cirkev) Dolný Kubín Žaškov Baptisms (Krsty)
            1871-1911" I find a "ZUSANNA SOKOL" born in March of 1894 with parents
            of "JAN SOKOL and KATRENA DZURIK". This information could be totally
            irrelevant. I saw the name and birth month and considered there could be a connection.Here is the link to the image of the baptism document:  http://tiny.cc/tmtzkw%c2%a0

            Jan Sokol [yahn Sohk-ohl]  Katrena Dzurik [Kahtrren-ah Dzuh-reek]

            Susanna Sokol  Ellis Island - Immegrated Dec 20, 1893 age 19.  Possible Birth year 1874, Immigrated to Cambria PA

            Found Birth record in Zaskov [Zhahsh-kohv] Susa, Daughter of Miso Sokol [Mee-shoh Soh-kohl] and Maria Nemcek [Mahree-ah Nehm-chehk]:

            https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-22635-8941-72?cc=1554443&wc=MMYV-KYK:619423629

            * In the Ellis Island arrival records there is a "ZUZANNA SZOKOL"
            arriving from Bremen in October of 1913, with her previous residence
            being GABOLTO, Hungary.Thank you in advance for any assistance. If the
            information is not specific enough, I completely understand.

            Gaboltö (Gahbol-toh) Hungarian for the Slovak town Gaboltov [Ghabolt-ohv]
            Blessings,
            --bill

            *     The 1930 census states she was born in Czechoslovakia in 1894 and
            her immigration year is 1913. It also lists her as "SUSA", not Susie.
            *     The 1920 census states she was born in Bohemia in 1896.
            *     The US SS Death Index has her dates as March 21, 1894 - October, 1975
            *     On their daughter's (ANNA SOPAK) marriage record it lists her as "SUSIE SOKAL" (PA 1930s)
            *     On their infant son's death (JOHN SOPAK, WV 1931) it lists her as "SUSAN SUSOO"

            I have found many errors in these records.  I have also found errors in Ellis Island records.

            I have already spent hours researching and I hope info above helps.

            S Panem Bohom,

            Vilo

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 22, 2012
              On Sep 21, 2012, at 12:35 PM, William Wright wrote:

              > The US SS Death Index has his dates as March 1893 - December 1976

              Send for his SS-5, Social Security application form. It asks place of birth and names of parents, and *usually* those sections were filled in. Since he was supplying the info himself, there's a good chance that it will be accurate.

              If your great-grandparents married in the US, get their marriage record, both civil and church. Each might well ask place of birth and parents' names.

              ~ Julie Michutka
              jmm@...

            • patskanovo
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 22, 2012
                If they were not naturalized you can send for their Alien Registration from the US Archives..

                Dennis