requesting translation 1869 census vradiste

  • Sam Mag
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 13, 2012
      If there is a person that has some extra time and wants a challenge, I have a request.

      This is some really rough writing for me to figure.

      https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1971-28480-15914-36?cc=1986782&wc=MMRC-CN7:651143898

      This is house 407 in Vradiste.

      My great grandmother was supposed to be born in this house. Her name was Anna Prokop(born 1864). Her father's name, if I'm on the correct track is Martinus Prokop and her mother, Anna Budovic.

      In this house I can make out perhaps a Martin Prokop on line 4 and there is a birth date on line 6 of 1864, otherwise I can not make out anything from this. I also believe I see they are Roman Catholic but not even sure of this.

      This is my 14th area in Slovakia to search and this is by far the hardest for me to read or understand for some reason.

      I am looking for help with what ever anyone can tell me or make out of this whole page, thank you
    • William C. Wormuth
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 13, 2012
        It's nearly 3:00AM and I need to sleep.

        I suggest you try matching hand written words to the German or Hungarian printing.  I cannot determine the Place of Birth.

        As a Start see my Notes:

        German Romisch Katholisch.  On the chart rom Kath.
        Line 6 Johanus Prokop (ledig), Single

        Line 4 Anna Prokop (verheirathet), married
        verwittwet oder geschieden is widowed or divorced
        (Beruf Oder...)  Occupation or....
        (Geburtsort) Birthplace
        (Beschaftigungsverhaltoiss) Status in Employment
        (Gehilfe) assistant

        Z Bohom,

        Vilo

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 14, 2012
          What terrible writing!
          I'm pretty sure it's in German and not Hungarian. I can recognise a few
          words on the cover pages as German. The script is awful though and I bet it
          is in a very old cursive style reminiscent of 18th and 19th century print.
          Something like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Script
          and there is a chart of sorts to help decode it.

          Peter M.

          On 14 September 2012 13:06, Sam Mag <sammag30@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > If there is a person that has some extra time and wants a challenge, I
          > have a request.
          >
          > This is some really rough writing for me to figure.
          >

          > https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1971-28480-15914-36?cc=1986782&wc=MMRC-CN7:651143898
          >
          > This is house 407 in Vradiste.
          >
          > My great grandmother was supposed to be born in this house. Her name was
          > Anna Prokop(born 1864). Her father's name, if I'm on the correct track is
          > Martinus Prokop and her mother, Anna Budovic.
          >
          > In this house I can make out perhaps a Martin Prokop on line 4 and there
          > is a birth date on line 6 of 1864, otherwise I can not make out anything
          > from this. I also believe I see they are Roman Catholic but not even sure
          > of this.
          >
          > This is my 14th area in Slovakia to search and this is by far the hardest
          > for me to read or understand for some reason.
          >
          > I am looking for help with what ever anyone can tell me or make out of
          > this whole page, thank you

        • htcstech
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 14, 2012
            http://0.tqn.com/d/genealogy/1/0/A/X/kurrent-800.jpg has a better chart.

            On 14 September 2012 22:01, htcstech <htcstech@...> wrote:

            > What terrible writing!
            > I'm pretty sure it's in German and not Hungarian. I can recognise a few
            > words on the cover pages as German. The script is awful though and I bet it
            > is in a very old cursive style reminiscent of 18th and 19th century print.
            > Something like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Script
            > and there is a chart of sorts to help decode it.
            >
            > Peter M.
            >
            > On 14 September 2012 13:06, Sam Mag <sammag30@...> wrote:
            >
            >> **
            >>

            >> If there is a person that has some extra time and wants a challenge, I
            >> have a request.
            >>
            >> This is some really rough writing for me to figure.
            >>

            >> https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1971-28480-15914-36?cc=1986782&wc=MMRC-CN7:651143898
            >>
            >> This is house 407 in Vradiste.
            >>
            >> My great grandmother was supposed to be born in this house. Her name was
            >> Anna Prokop(born 1864). Her father's name, if I'm on the correct track is
            >> Martinus Prokop and her mother, Anna Budovic.
            >>
            >> In this house I can make out perhaps a Martin Prokop on line 4 and there
            >> is a birth date on line 6 of 1864, otherwise I can not make out anything
            >> from this. I also believe I see they are Roman Catholic but not even sure
            >> of this.
            >>
            >> This is my 14th area in Slovakia to search and this is by far the hardest
            >> for me to read or understand for some reason.
            >>
            >> I am looking for help with what ever anyone can tell me or make out of
            >> this whole page, thank you

          • christine mackara
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 14, 2012
              I think I can help you. It is written in German

              1 Budowitsch Johann, male, born 1808, (röm. kath.) RC, (verheiratet) married, (Bauer ) farmer, (selbstständig) independent , born in (Neutra Holitsch) Nitra Holics,(?)

              2 Elisabetha, (Gattin ) wife, female, born 1819, RC, married, (Hausherrin) mistress of the house,

              3 Anna, (Tochter des Budowitsch Johann ) daughter of Johann Budowitsch, female, born 1833, RC married,

              4 Prokoz Martin, (der Tochter Anna Mann) husband of daughter Anna, male, born 1820, RC married,

              5 Maria, (Tochter des Schwiegersohnes Prokoz) daughter of the son-in-law Prokoz, female, born 1855, RC (ledig) unmarried

              6 Anna, (Tochter des Prokoz) daughter of Prokoz, female, born 1864, RC unmarried

              They were all born in Neutra Holitsch . Is that Nitra Holics ?

              # 3 Anna was ( Gehülfin der häuslichen Arbeit) helper in the daily work (?)

              #4 Martin was (Helfer der Wirtschaftsbearbeitung im Hause beschäftigt ) he helped run the farm (?) worked in the house

              I hope I got it right. Please ask, if you find I forgot something or have any questions

              Christine

              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 14, 2012
                >>> They were all born in Neutra Holitsch . Is that Nitra Holics? <<<

                Holíc (Holitsch, Holics), Nitra (Neutra, Nyitra), Slovakia
              • helene cincebeaux
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 14, 2012
                  great deciphering - Holic is a town on the western Slovak border with the Czech Republic - at the time of the document it was a part of NITRA County.

                  Maria Teresa's husband liked Holic a lot and built a porcelain factory there to give work to the populace. The building still stands.

                  helene

                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 14, 2012
                    Thank you everyone very much.

                    Christine, thank you.

                    ________________________________

                    #4 Martin was (Helfer der Wirtschaftsbearbeitung im Hause beschäftigt ) he helped run the farm (?) worked in the house

                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 14, 2012
                      I haven't done any German research in a while, but here's my thoughts . . .
                      The last name could be Prokop. I'm assuming it is for now. I'm listing things so that you can see exactly which line I'm referencing because it's not clear to me where the breaks really should be. I would guess that line 5 and the words below are indicating that one of the females is the daughter of Sch* S* Prokop.

                      4. Prokop Martin, male, b. 1820, rom kath, verheirath (married),halfen der ? (helped the ?), gehilfe (assistant), Holitsch (Holiè)
                      Tochter Anna Maria
                      Maria
                      5. Tochter das Sch…, female, b. 1855, rom kath, ledig (single), ?, -, Holitsch (Holiè)
                      S… Prokop
                      Anna
                      6. Tochter das Prokop, female, b. 1864, rom kath, ledig (single), ?, -, Holitsch (Holiè)

                      I hope this helps.
                      - Dawn

                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 14, 2012
                        Forgot to note that tochter is daughter.

                        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "dmgnew" <dmg-tx@...> wrote:

                        > I haven't done any German research in a while, but here's my thoughts . . .
                        > The last name could be Prokop. I'm assuming it is for now. I'm listing things so that you can see exactly which line I'm referencing because it's not clear to me where the breaks really should be. I would guess that line 5 and the words below are indicating that one of the females is the daughter of Sch* S* Prokop.
                        >
                        > 4. Prokop Martin, male, b. 1820, rom kath, verheirath (married),halfen der ? (helped the ?), gehilfe (assistant), Holitsch (Holiè)
                        > Tochter Anna Maria
                        > Maria
                        > 5. Tochter das Sch…, female, b. 1855, rom kath, ledig (single), ?, -, Holitsch (Holiè)
                        > S… Prokop
                        > Anna
                        > 6. Tochter das Prokop, female, b. 1864, rom kath, ledig (single), ?, -, Holitsch (Holiè)
                        >
                        > I hope this helps.
                        > - Dawn
                        >
                        > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Sam Mag" <sammag30@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > If there is a person that has some extra time and wants a challenge, I have a request.
                        > >
                        > > This is some really rough writing for me to figure.
                        > >
                        > > https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1971-28480-15914-36?cc=1986782&wc=MMRC-CN7:651143898
                        > >
                        > > This is house 407 in Vradiste.
                        > >
                        > > My great grandmother was supposed to be born in this house. Her name was Anna Prokop(born 1864). Her father's name, if I'm on the correct track is Martinus Prokop and her mother, Anna Budovic.
                        > >
                        > > In this house I can make out perhaps a Martin Prokop on line 4 and there is a birth date on line 6 of 1864, otherwise I can not make out anything from this. I also believe I see they are Roman Catholic but not even sure of this.
                        > >
                        > > This is my 14th area in Slovakia to search and this is by far the hardest for me to read or understand for some reason.
                        > >
                        > > I am looking for help with what ever anyone can tell me or make out of this whole page, thank you

                      • leporis1
                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 17, 2012
                          Dawn,

                          this is particularly interesting to me as Prokop is a Czech saint revered by kings and thrown out of the country - to Moravia and then repatriated by another king. Just an interesting name I guess, that is all.

                          LLeporis