RE: [S-R] Request for help in translating please

  • Ladislav Rosival
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 8, 2012
      Hallo,

      I have some comments:

      The word „kotelen“ – the first letter is n, not k so the word si „nőtelen“ which literay means „wifeless“. So the translation is „single from Szomolnok“

      The last collumn read as follows:

      A vérsegi aka[-]

      dálytol a har[-]

      madik és négye[-]

      dik agban és a

      három kiherdeté[-]

      töl Felmentvék

      The translation is Dipsensed form blood-relation (consanguinity) in third and fourth branch and from three advertisments.

      The meaning is, that the bride and groom ARE second and third cousins, and they received a permittion to marry. This dispensation should be given by the bishop. I tis a very helpful notice for genealogist, because you know that the dride and groom are related. What is interesting, that it seems they are second AND third cousins.

      Dispensation from advertisments are given by the local priest (at least i think so). This was done mostly when there was not enough time, and i tis not uncommon, that a child was born earlier then 9 months. In this case i tis possible, that the waiting for the relations dispenasation took more time and they wanted to marry immediatly.

      This is one of the collumns which are in the most (younger - from about 1840) marriage books. Mostly is there only a reptition mark, because most amrriages were normaly 3 times advertised.

      Ladislav

      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 8, 2012
        Wow, thank you Peter!

        > Betty,
        > The place of residence was Szomolan (Szomolankai - means from or of
        > Szomolan) the word 'kotelen' means 'tied or bonded to' but commonly written
        > as 'kotelenseges' which would mean 'confirmed to be from Szomolan'.
        >
        > As far as the general observations go for this parish, it continually
        > states that the marriage was 'advertised 3 times' in most other entries.
        > This must be a regional thing as I've not seen it in the parishes I've been
        > researching. It basically means that the marriage was publically announced
        > before the ceremony but I don't know why.
        >
        > I can read the variation of the record, but I don't fully understand it. It
        > translates as: 'Versegi' - an old word meaning 'ties of blood' - 'akadaly'
        > meaning 'impediment or hindrance', 'agban' refers to branches i.e. third
        > (harmadik) and fourth (negyedik) branches - and 'es a harom hirdetestol
        > felmentvek' - was exempt from the 3 advertisments.
        > Putting it all together is also difficult but I'll give it a go: That the
        > marriage was ok in that there was no impediment as there was no
        > relationship between the bride and groom for 3 or 4 generations or branches
        > within the families and was therefore exempt from having to advertise.
        >
        > As I inferred before, I don't know what advertising the marriage has to do
        > with things, but is common in this register. Someone hopefully can explain
        > that one to me. I'm hoping that Ladislav or maybe CurtB can shed a bit more
        > light on the usage as well.
        >
        > Hope that helps,
        >
        > Peter M.
        >

        > On 8 September 2012 12:41, Elizabeth <bettymisc@...> wrote:
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > Could anyone look at the following familysearch.org file and help me
        > > translate a record?
        > >

        > > https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-14325-52267-64?cc=1554443&wc=MMYV-T99:942651178
        > >
        > > This is a marriage record - May 12, 1846 - Janos Petras and Terez Maszar
        > > I am having trouble reading the locations column and I am particularly
        > > interested in the last column of the record.
        > >
        > > Slovakia, Church and Synagogue Books, 1592-1910
        > > Roman Catholic (Rímsko-katolícká cirkev)
        > > Senica
        > > Smolinské
        > > Marriages (Manželstvá) 1785-1852 (Inv. č. 2067)
        > > Image 47 of 56
        > >
        > > Thank you, Betty

      • Elizabeth
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 8, 2012
          Ladislav,

          Thank you very much for your translation. This was the first time I had seen a record such as this. I believe the bride was only about 14 years old at the time of marriage. Betty

        • bettymisc@bellsouth.net
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 8, 2012
            Thank you Larry for your interpretation!

            I am very interested in finding out more about the Petras and Mas[z]ars in your tree. Is your tree online anywhere? I am particularly interested in tracing a Julianna Petras, born in Sastin-Straze on 21 April 1882 and how she relates to the Mas[z]ars. I have her father as Josephus Petras born 6 June 1852 in Smolinske and her mother Maria Hodany born 4 April 1853 in Sastin Straze.

            Josephus Petras' mother was Therezia Maszar and his father was Joannes(haven't located their birth records yet). I am interested in finding other members of both the Petras and Maszar families.

            If you have these Petras' and Maszar's in your tree, please let me know and maybe we can take this to private email messages.

            Thank you again! Betty

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, lkocik@... wrote:

            > Betty
            >
            >  The village is actually Smolinske, in Senica. That's the heading for the church records you were looking under.
            >
            >  This record is in Hungarian, that's why the spelling looks odd.  Most of the records for Smolinske and the other villages in Senica and the general Zahorie region,  are in Hungarian for most of the 1840's, up to 1852. B efore and after that,  they are in latin.
            >
            >   I have Petras and M as[z]ars from Smolinske in my family tree too.
            >

            >  The last column shows a dispensation was granted, but again, in Hungarian. That's the short version of what Peter explained in much more detail.
            >
            > larry

          • Elizabeth
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 8, 2012
              Thank you Curt. I appreciate your assistance, Betty

              > Betty,
              > The place name is Szomolanka. It is the Hungarian name for the present day town of Smolinske. In the last column they are dispensing from the formal triple announcement of the wedding banns.
              >
              > Curt B.
              >
              > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Elizabeth" <bettymisc@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Could anyone look at the following familysearch.org file and help me translate a record?
              > >
              > > https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-14325-52267-64?cc=1554443&wc=MMYV-T99:942651178
              > >
              > > This is a marriage record - May 12, 1846 - Janos Petras and Terez Maszar
              > > I am having trouble reading the locations column and I am particularly interested in the last column of the record.
              > >
              > > Slovakia, Church and Synagogue Books, 1592-1910
              > > Roman Catholic (Rímsko-katolícká cirkev)
              > > Senica
              > > Smolinské
              > > Marriages (Manželstvá) 1785-1852 (Inv. č. 2067)
              > > Image 47 of 56
              > >
              > > Thank you, Betty

            • Elizabeth
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 8, 2012
                Thank you Elaine! Very interesting. Appreciate this information! Betty

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Elaine <epowell@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > > that one to me. I'm hoping that Ladislav or maybe CurtB can shed a bit more
                > > light on the usage as well.
                > >
                > > Hope that helps,
                > >
                > > Peter M.
                > >
                > > On 8 September 2012 12:41, Elizabeth <bettymisc@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > > **
                > > >

                > > > Could anyone look at the following familysearch.org file and help me
                > > > translate a record?
                > > >

                > > > https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-14325-52267-64?cc=1554443&wc=MMYV-T99:942651178
                > > >
                > > > This is a marriage record - May 12, 1846 - Janos Petras and Terez Maszar
                > > > I am having trouble reading the locations column and I am particularly
                > > > interested in the last column of the record.
                > > >
                > > > Slovakia, Church and Synagogue Books, 1592-1910
                > > > Roman Catholic (Rímsko-katolícká cirkev)
                > > > Senica
                > > > Smolinské
                > > > Marriages (Manželstvá) 1785-1852 (Inv. č. 2067)

              • William C. Wormuth
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 8, 2012
                  Ladi,

                  Your data here is superb but it brought a smile to my face.

                  I have a friend in Smolinske named Smolinsky, whose wife's maiden  name was Somolany, (from Kuklov).;o) :o) :o).

                  Z Bohom,

                  Vilo

                  ________________________________

                • lkocik@comcast.net
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 8, 2012
                    Betty

                     Email me at lkocik@...

                     I think we can help each other.

                     I have lots of Petras and Mas[z]ars from Gbely, Smolinske, Dojc, Adamov,Jablonica, Letnicie and Skalica.

                     Sorry if I misspelled any of those villages.

                     I'm sure your aware of all the variations in spelling for Masar.

                     I do have an online tree also.

                    Larry