Re: [S-R] Re: requesting resources

  • William C. Wormuth
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 7, 2012
      You have more info for your chart.  If Johannes is the  Grandfathers brother:

      Father- Johannes,  Mother - JuliannaeKubal'a [Kuhbalya] address: Dluha Number 164

      Maria Horvath  Father Johannes, (Jan [Jahn] [Hohrr-vaty] (this hungarian thth in Slovak is a "t", pronounced with your tounge on the roof of your mouth.  The closest I can come to proununciation spelling is "ty")   Mother, Figura [Feeguh-rah]

      Address:  Dluha Number 8.

      If Peter has the same address and Jan, They are related

      Z Bohom,

      Vilo

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 10, 2012
        Welcome, John.
        I'm a little delayed in reading e-mails, so if I give duplicate information, please forgive me.

        Actually, I just found Peter's WWII draft card on family search.
        Peter Cizmar: 2341 Canal St. Blue Island, Cook County, Ill
        Born 22 May, 1894 in Dluka (spelled as clear as a bell), Czechoslovakia.
        Works for the railroad. Looks like Mary Cizmar is his contact person, living at the same address.

        There is a photo of the draft card online that you can print up for your records.

        Found the family on the 1930 census, but I can't view it. The info does show up on the family search site. Peter's wife, Mary, was born in Illinois but her parents were born in Slovakia.
        There is a brother-in-law, Charles Krizik, living with the family. He is born in Illinois as well. I am going to presume that he is Mary's brother and that her maiden name is Krizik.

        Quite by surprise, I found Mary Krizik traveling on the President Harding on Sept. 5, 1923. She was born 7 Jan. 1903 in Blue island, Ill. That info co-incides with her age on the 1930 census. She states that she is traveling to her Brother-in-law Stefan Misojev in Blue island, Ill. Could be a different Mary Krizik, but since you seemed to know that Peter came over in 1923, it would definitely be worth your perusing the manifest for this same ship to see if you can find Peter coming over.

        US citizens are listed on a separate page from immigrants.

        You can find the ship on stevemorse.org missing manifest pages and peruse through, page by page, to see if you can find Peter on the manifest. It's a long shot, but one that I would certainly look through.

        He doesn't come up under the search, but I have found names that were either missed going into the index, or transcribed horribly.

        Also, you can look for marriage records in Blue Island, Illinois to see if Peter's birth place and/or parents are mentioned in the record.

        Just out of interest, I searched on Stefan Misolej, and found one coming over from Likavka to Chicago Illinois.

        When I checked on cisarek'a village finder, it just so happens that Likavka borders the town of Dlha Luka, which is joined to the town of Kvacany. Don't see any Cizmar's under the surname for this town, but it certainly is worth investigating further.

        I'd be very interested in seeing what you turn up.
        Any questions, feel free to ask.
        Barbara