Monument near Markusovce Slovakia

  • Charlest
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 6, 2012
      My mother's family came from Markusovce CZ, in the 1920s. Looking on Google Earth there is a monument on a road SW of the town. (My mother told me that monuments were common along the roads when she was growing up. That would have been 191-s.) I think that I have stumbled across a picture of the inscription on the monument and I put a picture of the inscription in the photos section. The album name is Markusovce Monument.

      I'd appreciate it if someone could do a translation. I tried an internet translator site and got gibberish!

      TIA
      cvt
    • stano.sabol
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 7, 2012
        Original text:

        "PUTNIKU CHVILU STOJ
        POZORUJ MOJE MUKY

        MUKY MOJE KINU
        ROKY TVOJE PLINU

        PO SMRTI SUD NASTANE
        KAM SA TVOJE DUSA DOSTANE"

        The translation (the best possible from my sideĀ…). I am sure that the English-native poet would write it definitely better. But for the basic understanding it should be sufficient...:)

        Pilgrim, wait for a while
        Observe my excruciation

        My excruciation is growing
        Your years are passing

        The justice will come after the death
        About where your soul will get

        Stano Sabol

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Charlest" <ctintera@...> wrote:

        > My mother's family came from Markusovce CZ, in the 1920s. Looking on Google Earth there is a monument on a road SW of the town. (My mother told me that monuments were common along the roads when she was growing up. That would have been 191-s.) I think that I have stumbled across a picture of the inscription on the monument and I put a picture of the inscription in the photos section. The album name is Markusovce Monument.
        >
        > I'd appreciate it if someone could do a translation. I tried an internet translator site and got gibberish!
        >
        > TIA
        > cvt

      • Charles Tintera
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 8, 2012
          Thank you for the translation. Was that a common poem of some sort? Or
          something else entirely?

          cvt