Re: [S-R] requesting resources

  • htcstech
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 6, 2012
      Hello John,

      The town of origin may be an issue. Can you find out more, like the name of
      a nearby village?

      Peter M.

    • John
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 6, 2012
        >>> My grandfather-in-law (Peter Cizmar) traveled between Quebec and Dluka, Slovakia in 1923. <<<

        Would your Peter [Cismar] have landed at Ellis Island June 30, 1910 headed for Elizabeth, NJ?

        Peter Csizmar, age 25, was from [Dluha] and his father was Jan Csizmar. DOB would be 1885.

        There are two other listings of possible interest on Ellis Island.
        Czimar, Josef Dluha 22 1871 1893
        Czizmar, Piotr Dluha, Hungary 19 1887 1906

        Peter and Piotr could be the same person on different trips.

        Cisarik (web site) suggests that your [Dluka] may be:
        OLD NAMES of the village(town):
        1773, 1786, 1863–1913 Dluha, 1808 Dlúhá, Dlauhá, Dlhá, 1920 Dlhá, Dluhá, 1927– Dlhá nad Oravou

        The Cismar (+variations) surname exists there.

        LDS has Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages and deaths for Sedliacka Dubová, Slovakia, formerly Paraszt-Dubova, Árva. These include Dlha nad Oravou, a short distance to the east along the river.

        The RC church records are online at:
        https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Ffamilysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2FMMYV-VRP%3A1826733009%3Fcc%3D1554443

        If we have the correct person, his birth is on page 276/747 (bottom of page). Father Jan, mother Maria Horvath.
      • John
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 6, 2012
          >>> At a recent family picnic, I brought a family group sheet, which quickly grew to a dozen. Everyone was more than willing to add to the information. . . . My grandfather-in-law (Peter Cizmar) . . . Dluka, Slovakia in 1923. Does anyone have any info on this town or Roman Catholic churches there? <<<

          Further to the previous reply, we can add a couple of generations in that the marriage of Joannes CSIZSMAR to Maria HORVATH on 31 January 1870 is found at: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-22638-26571-24?cc=1554443&wc=MMYV-LVX:1611666687

          page 406/747 and it tells you their age parents.

          The church records are VERY confusing as to layout and so I will use a separate reply to sort them out for you.

          Happy squinting.
        • John
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 6, 2012
            >>> My grandfather-in-law (Peter Cizmar) traveled between Quebec and Dluka, Slovakia in 1923. Does anyone have any info on this town or Roman Catholic churches there? <<<

            The following will help you sort through the images of church records covering Dluho = Dlha nad Oravou.

            Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages and deaths for Sedliacka Dubová, Slovakia, formerly Paraszt-Dubova, Árva. Includes people from village of Dluho.

            https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-22633-14303-65?cc=1554443&wc=MMYV-LVR:n867316194#uri=https%3A%2F%2Ffamilysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2FMMYV-VRP%3A1826733009%3Fcc%3D1554443

            747 Pages
            Birmovaní 1794, 1820
            Krsty 1829-1843, 1852-1897,1844-1851
            Manželstvá 1844-1851, 1866-1909
            Úmrtia 1833-1843, 1852-1873
            Manželstvá 1852-1866, 1873-1897
            Úmrtia 1873-1897
            Birmovaní 1874, 1886

            197 Pages
            Krsty 1699-1724
            Manželstvá 1697-1726
            Krsty 1724-1727
            Úmrtia 1698-1723

            831 Pages
            Úmrtia 1823-1827
            Krsty 1727-1776
            Manželstvá 1727-1775
            Úmrtia 1727-1774
            Krsty 1776-1829
            Manželstvá 1776-1843
            Úmrtia 1776-1819
            Úmrtia 1819-1833

            25 Pages
            Úmrtia 1844-1851

            There you have the family tree back top about 1700.

            Happy squinting.
          • William C. Wormuth
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 7, 2012
              You have more info for your chart.  If Johannes is the  Grandfathers brother:

              Father- Johannes,  Mother - JuliannaeKubal'a [Kuhbalya] address: Dluha Number 164

              Maria Horvath  Father Johannes, (Jan [Jahn] [Hohrr-vaty] (this hungarian thth in Slovak is a "t", pronounced with your tounge on the roof of your mouth.  The closest I can come to proununciation spelling is "ty")   Mother, Figura [Feeguh-rah]

              Address:  Dluha Number 8.

              If Peter has the same address and Jan, They are related

              Z Bohom,

              Vilo

              ________________________________
              >>> At a recent family picnic, I brought a family group sheet, which quickly grew to a dozen. Everyone was more than willing to add to the information. . . . My grandfather-in-law (Peter Cizmar) . . . Dluka, Slovakia in 1923. Does anyone have any info on this town or Roman Catholic churches there? <<<

              Further to the previous reply, we can add a couple of generations in that the marriage of Joannes CSIZSMAR to Maria HORVATH on 31 January 1870 is found at: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-22638-26571-24?cc=1554443&wc=MMYV-LVX:1611666687

              page 406/747 and it tells you their age parents.

              The church records are VERY confusing as to layout and so I will use a separate reply to sort them out for you.

              Happy squinting.

            • genmom4
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 10, 2012
                Welcome, John.
                I'm a little delayed in reading e-mails, so if I give duplicate information, please forgive me.

                Actually, I just found Peter's WWII draft card on family search.
                Peter Cizmar: 2341 Canal St. Blue Island, Cook County, Ill
                Born 22 May, 1894 in Dluka (spelled as clear as a bell), Czechoslovakia.
                Works for the railroad. Looks like Mary Cizmar is his contact person, living at the same address.

                There is a photo of the draft card online that you can print up for your records.

                Found the family on the 1930 census, but I can't view it. The info does show up on the family search site. Peter's wife, Mary, was born in Illinois but her parents were born in Slovakia.
                There is a brother-in-law, Charles Krizik, living with the family. He is born in Illinois as well. I am going to presume that he is Mary's brother and that her maiden name is Krizik.

                Quite by surprise, I found Mary Krizik traveling on the President Harding on Sept. 5, 1923. She was born 7 Jan. 1903 in Blue island, Ill. That info co-incides with her age on the 1930 census. She states that she is traveling to her Brother-in-law Stefan Misojev in Blue island, Ill. Could be a different Mary Krizik, but since you seemed to know that Peter came over in 1923, it would definitely be worth your perusing the manifest for this same ship to see if you can find Peter coming over.

                US citizens are listed on a separate page from immigrants.

                You can find the ship on stevemorse.org missing manifest pages and peruse through, page by page, to see if you can find Peter on the manifest. It's a long shot, but one that I would certainly look through.

                He doesn't come up under the search, but I have found names that were either missed going into the index, or transcribed horribly.

                Also, you can look for marriage records in Blue Island, Illinois to see if Peter's birth place and/or parents are mentioned in the record.

                Just out of interest, I searched on Stefan Misolej, and found one coming over from Likavka to Chicago Illinois.

                When I checked on cisarek'a village finder, it just so happens that Likavka borders the town of Dlha Luka, which is joined to the town of Kvacany. Don't see any Cizmar's under the surname for this town, but it certainly is worth investigating further.

                I'd be very interested in seeing what you turn up.
                Any questions, feel free to ask.
                Barbara