Re: [S-R] Help with marriage document

  • CurtB
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 5, 2012
      Julie,
      I think you got the Latin right, but the translation is a bit simpler. Dimissus here is not the technical legal term but just means "leaving behind". So the text just says that the husband is leaving behind his place of birth [Vradiste] and remains in Holic. Nothing more complicated than that.
      Curt B.

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Julie Michutka <jmm@...> wrote:

      > Just so you know, you can use the URL for an image; FamilySearch's URLs are static. This one is https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-159391-476831-89?cc=1554443&wc=MMYV-564:975189788, and takes you right to the image.
      >
      > It looks like it says " orgn sponsi dimiss[??] manat in Holic"
      >
      > "dimissus" in other entries seems to have a technical meaning, perhaps "released" or "discharged" or something like that. I suspect that "manat" should be "manet" (= stays, remains). I wonder if "orgn" is an abbreviation for "origine," but I'm not sure here.
      >
      > So... the groom (sponsi) is released or dismissed from some... obligation or rule? And he's remaining in Holic. (Note that he is from elsewhere.)
      >
      > That's as far as I got in a few minutes. If it were my family, I'd be scanning a bunch of other pages in this register to compare other entries with the same or similar notations. Hope someone else can take this one step further for you. Good luck with your research!
      >
      > Julie Michutka
      > jmm@...
      >

      > On Sep 5, 2012, at 8:18 AM, sammag30 wrote:
      >
      > > If anyone has time to look at a row of writing for me and see if they can translate I would appreciate it.
      > >
      > > -Slovakia, Church and Synagogue Books, 1592-1910
      > > -Roman Catholic (Rímsko-katolícká cirkev)
      > > -Skalica
      > > -Holíč
      > > -Marriages (Manželstvá) 1852-1883 (Inv. č. 894)
      > > -Image 232 of 254
      > >
      > > The second row of entries from the top: A marriage between Janos Novak and Anna Prokop.

    • Julie Michutka
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 6, 2012
        Makes sense. Thanks, Curt!

        Julie