Help with marriage document

  • sammag30
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 5, 2012
      If anyone has time to look at a row of writing for me and see if they can translate I would appreciate it.

      -Slovakia, Church and Synagogue Books, 1592-1910
      -Roman Catholic (Rímsko-katolícká cirkev)
      -Skalica
      -Holíč
      -Marriages (Manželstvá) 1852-1883 (Inv. č. 894)
      -Image 232 of 254

      The second row of entries from the top: A marriage between Janos Novak and Anna Prokop.

      Thank you.
    • Sam Mag
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 5, 2012
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "sammag30" <sammag30@...> wrote:

        > If anyone has time to look at a row of writing for me and see if they can translate I would appreciate it.
        >
        > -Slovakia, Church and Synagogue Books, 1592-1910
        > -Roman Catholic (Rímsko-katolícká cirkev)
        > -Skalica
        > -Holíc c. 894
        > -Marriages (Manželstvá) 1852-1883 (Inv. 894)
        > -Image 232 of 254
        >
        > The second row of entries from the top: A marriage between Janos Novak and Anna Prokop.
        >
        > Thank you.

      • John
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 5, 2012
          The bride is a young 16. There is a comment in the far right. Is your question related to translation of that comment? I take it that the comment is in Latin.

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "sammag30" <sammag30@...> wrote:

          > If anyone has time to look at a row of writing for me and see if they can translate I would appreciate it.
          >
          > -Slovakia, Church and Synagogue Books, 1592-1910
          > -Roman Catholic (Rímsko-katolícká cirkev)
          > -Skalica
          > -Holíč
          > -Marriages (Manželstvá) 1852-1883 (Inv. č. 894)
          > -Image 232 of 254
          >
          > The second row of entries from the top: A marriage between Janos Novak and Anna Prokop.
          >
          > Thank you.

        • Julie Michutka
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 5, 2012
            Just so you know, you can use the URL for an image; FamilySearch's URLs are static. This one is https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-159391-476831-89?cc=1554443&wc=MMYV-564:975189788, and takes you right to the image.

            It looks like it says " orgn sponsi dimiss[??] manat in Holic"

            "dimissus" in other entries seems to have a technical meaning, perhaps "released" or "discharged" or something like that. I suspect that "manat" should be "manet" (= stays, remains). I wonder if "orgn" is an abbreviation for "origine," but I'm not sure here.

            So... the groom (sponsi) is released or dismissed from some... obligation or rule? And he's remaining in Holic. (Note that he is from elsewhere.)

            That's as far as I got in a few minutes. If it were my family, I'd be scanning a bunch of other pages in this register to compare other entries with the same or similar notations. Hope someone else can take this one step further for you. Good luck with your research!

            Julie Michutka
            jmm@...

            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 5, 2012
              Any guess where he is from?  I am puzzled about the "released" entry....I will search through other entries as suggested to look for similar notations perhaps more clear.

              I think the bride's parents are Mart. Prokop and Ana Burlovic, not sure about the groom?

              16 is the youngest I have come across in my family in Slovakia.

              This family ends up across Slovakia shortly after this.  I have had tons of families move to the next village over but these guys really moved.  That is why I wanted to get everything I could out of this entry to perhaps understand why.

              Thank You

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 5, 2012
                >>> Ana Burlovic <<<

                Cisarik and Morse both suggest BUDOVIC.

                FHC web site seems to be down at the moment.
              • Julie Michutka
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 5, 2012
                  On Sep 5, 2012, at 4:47 PM, Sam Mag wrote:

                  > Any guess where he is from?

                  Vradis~te, quite near Holic~. Household # 108.

                  > I am puzzled about the "released" entry....I will search through other entries as suggested to look for similar notations perhaps more clear.
                  > I think the bride's parents are Mart. Prokop and Ana Burlovic, not sure about the groom?

                  Bride's parents look like Martin col[onus] Prokop and Anna Budavic~ or Budovic~.
                  Groom's parents look like Martin col[onus] Novak, deceased, and Crist[tina?? maybe] Nemsovsky (I think)

                  ~ Julie Michutka
                  jmm@...
                • CurtB
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 5, 2012
                    Julie,
                    I think you got the Latin right, but the translation is a bit simpler. Dimissus here is not the technical legal term but just means "leaving behind". So the text just says that the husband is leaving behind his place of birth [Vradiste] and remains in Holic. Nothing more complicated than that.
                    Curt B.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 6, 2012
                      Makes sense. Thanks, Curt!

                      Julie