What does "D" mean?

  • milliemom4683
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 28 8:59 AM
      While looking for children of an ancestor, I found 4 that had a "D" in front of the father's name. I know that can refer to deceased but obviously the man could not be fathering children over a several year span if he was deceased. (same wife, too) Any ideas?

      Thank you.
    • Margo Smith
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 28 9:16 AM
        It is an abbreviation of dominus, a title for "sir" or "lord" the lowest level of the local gentry.

      • mkoschik@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 28 4:06 PM
          Being wrapped up in the elections, I thought it meant Democrat!

        • mkoschik@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 28 4:07 PM
            Before I get deluged, that was a joke.