Re: [S-R] 1869 census question

  • elevans1
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 27, 2012
      I'm not sure it's necessarily moving often. Someone explained to me that if, say, 2 houses were built somewhere between house #1 and house # 101, then the houses might all be renumbered, so that what HAD been house # 101 is now house # 103. Not sure if whoever explained that knew that "for sure" or was just speculating. But I've often seen with my family that they "moved" by just 1 or 2 house numbers, so that explanation seems plausible.

      Also, I hope the person with the original question looked at ALL people living in the houses in the 1869 census, and didn't stop with the surname of the person listed in the first space. I've noticed some people with a different surname living in the same house as my ancestors. They are usually listed at the bottom. A few times they weren't related, but sometimes they are in-laws, etc.